United States
Joined 4132 days ago

28 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 201 of 236
19 February 2015 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Hi Evita!

I didn't know you had a log on this site! I've downloaded your Anki deck before. Very nice of you to
upload it for everyone to use!

Also I was reading through your blog and I thought what a coincidence. I started listening to Yoo In
Na's podcasts recently. Right now I barely understand but a few words...

Well anyway just saying hello and I'll be reading your log~
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 202 of 236
19 February 2015 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi misskj! Thanks for stopping by. I also understood very little of Yoo Inna's show when I first started listening to it more than a year ago, but now it's gotten much better. Here are some expressions I've noticed she says often:

곡 - song
신청곡 - song request
일부 - part one
이부 - part two (이부에서는...)
삼부 - earlier there were only two parts but recently a third part has appeared
이부가 시작됐습니다 - the second part has started
선물 보내 드릴게요 - I will send (you) a present
보내 드리면서 - she says this when the guests are preparing to leave. It means "while we are doing them a favor and sending them away..." which sounds odd in English but apparently not in Korean.
사연 - a story that a listener has sent in
무료 - free of charge
노래 듣고 와서 - after listening to a song
함께 하고 계십니다 - we are doing it together
볼륨가족들 - the 'family members' (listeners) of this show
노래 한 곡 듣고 올게요 / 오겠습니다 - we will be back after listening to one song
4 persons have voted this message useful

misskj
United States
Joined 4132 days ago

28 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 203 of 236
20 February 2015 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Aww Thank you for typing up those words for me!! I'll add them to my deck and start listening out for
them. Yeah I was pretty confused as to whats going on in her podcasts but I love her from her
dramas haha (just finished The Secret Hotel). But I also know I don't have a large vocabulary of
Korean yet so I need to work on this.

Also I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier in your log as I'm stilling reading through it but, how's
speaking in Korean for you? Is speaking Korean a skill you're actively working on? And if so do you
have any advice?

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 204 of 236
21 February 2015 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
No, I'm not really working on speaking. If you want to work on that then the advice is obvious - practice speaking with some Koreans. I read in your log that you already do that so it's all good.

Once I was browsing this forum and I read an opinion that you can learn to speak without having conversations in your target language (and I agree with this). Basically speaking involves knowing what to say and being able to say it with acceptable pronunciation. The second skill can be acquired by shadowing and the first one requires knowledge of grammar and vocabulary and can be practiced in writing. In order to train your brain to come up with answers quickly, you can either prepare and practice various sentences in your head or consume a lot of native material and absorb things that way. That's more or less what I plan to do. It's not the quickest method but I don't mind, I have time.

Speaking of Yoo Inna's show, I had another happy moment yesterday. She was talking about the purpose of life and I understood it! Well, not everything obviously but I know she said something like "I don't know. To be happy maybe? I'm living because my mom gave birth to me." These moments where I understand several sentences in a row come more and more often.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 205 of 236
25 February 2015 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
I think I have found a song for the February challenge:

Toy (토이) - 세 사람 (Three People) (With Sung Si Kyung 성시경)

I'm not listening to a lot of Korean music. When I'm listening to something, it's usually Korean podcasts, so I had no clue which song to pick. My favorite song from Healer was Michael Learns to Rock - Eternal Love, and that was all in English. In the end I downloaded the 100 songs of a recent Melon chart and waited for something to catch my attention.

On a different subject, I've always tried to find drama scripts, and one site I found was http://cafe.naver.com/okactor. The only problem was that I couldn't download anything because I wasn't registered on Naver. Well, it took me a lot of time and effort (because the verification code didn't want to come to my phone) but finally I got it done. Then I tried to get the scripts again but I got a message that said I wasn't a member of that Cafe. Oh well, I tried to become a member then. There was a lot of stuff in Korean and I didn't understand all of it but I somehow managed to do it. But do you think that was enough? No! It seems that there are five levels of membership and I'm on the lowest one and I don't have the rights to see the scripts. I don't know how I can get to a higher level and even if I knew I probably wouldn't be able to do it. It's so frustrating. So much work and I get nothing in the end.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 206 of 236
07 March 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
So, the forum had a glitch and a few posts disappeared. However, Crush posted a link to the backup server and the posts are still there: backup site. So I'll repost my entry from March 2nd:

The last chapter of the Russian grammar book has been begging me to finish it but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been busy with other things like the February song challenge. I did sort of learn the lyrics but not completely. I'm a bit sick of the song from listening to it so many times so I'll take a break and then come back to it.

I checked my decks on Ankiweb and the sentence deck has gotten 40 ratings. It's great to see. I do think that my decks are the best Korean decks available and I'm happy that others agree. This also made me more determined to work on my Hanja deck and get the character count up to a decent amount so that I can publish that as well. I think I added about 20 characters during the weekend, now the total number is 156. I'll make it a March challenge to add 100 more. I'm not going to study all of them though. I've set the daily new card limit to 2 for this deck, I think that's enough for me.

Speaking of Hanja, I had a "WTF? Is this really true? Really? Hahahahaha" moment when I realized that the Hanja for USA are 美國 (beautiful country). No wonder so many Koreans want to go there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 207 of 236
09 March 2015 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
My right arm has been bothering me so I've tried to use it as little as possible at the computer and otherwise. I was hoping it would pass but it hasn't yet so I'll probably have to go and see a doctor. I caught a cold as well last Friday so overall I'm not feeling very well. I've been using this time to watch some dramas and I finally got to City Hunter, which had been on my list for a long long time. It's much less serious than I expected. I keep comparing it to Healer though, and I have to say I liked Healer a lot more. I think it had better acting and better story.

I did keep working on Hanja, I have entered already 201 characters. I wanted to have 250 by the end of March but maybe I should aim for 300 instead.

I also did something that I had wanted to do for a long time. If you have ever studied Chinese characters then you probably know that they can look different in different fonts. They look prettier in serif fonts (Batang for Korean) and I wanted that look for my Hanja deck. So I set the Batang font in the card template and it worked fine for Anki but not for Ankidroid. I guess Android doesn't have these fonts by default. Well, I found the relevant section in the Anki manual (it said to get the TTF file and copy it to the media folder), did everything according to the instructions but still it didn't work. It turns out that Android is very particular regarding TTF files, it doesn't want to recognize many of them. I spent about 2 hours scouring the internet for various TTF files and testing them out until I found a TTC file and extracted a TTF from it (I had to install a new program for this purpose, I think it was called FontForge). Then I finally got it to work. Yesss!

The March challenge is to do something for 100 minutes so I won't be participating this time. I already wrote here recently that I don't measure time.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 208 of 236
16 March 2015 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I've been really good about continuing to learn two new hanja characters a day but I haven't activated any new words in my vocabulary deck in a while. The reviews were just getting too much. It seems I need to make such a pause every 3-4 months.

I'm also happy to say that I've finished the first Russian textbook (for Korean) and will start the second this week. The first one was pretty much all review so I'm looking forward to learning some new grammar again. I think the second book will be about 50% review.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version