Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 17 of 236
08 January 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Ich habe schon gesagt, dass ich hasse es, in irgendwelcher Sprache Fehler zu machen. Deshalb benutze ich das Wörterbuch viel, und es scheint, als ob ich mehr als in Wirklichkeit weiß. Ich möchte alles schreiben können, nicht nur ein Paar Sätze.

Ich habe diesen Text fast 20 Minuten lang geschrieben.

I spent almost 20 minutes writing this text in German so that should give you an idea how much work it takes for me to get the sentence constructions right or to change the construction if I realize I can't get it right. It's very limiting but I do get the feeling that my German is slowly coming back, and it's a very nice feeling.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4449 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 18 of 236
09 January 2014 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Mach dir keine Sorgen! Übung macht den Meister, nicht wahr? Soweit ich aus persönlicher Erfahrung weiß, ist es ja gar nicht mal so schlecht, Fehler zu machen. Versuche es weiterhin!

Viel Erfolg!
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 19 of 236
11 January 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I need to improve my German quickly so I've been trying to prioritize it over Korean. It's not easy but I'm making myself do it because it's more important to communicate with colleagues at work than to understand Korean dramas, right? Right. Keeping that in mind, I've been doing my three main German activities:

- textbook: finished unit 3
- Warum nicht: finished chapter 24 of level 1
- word list: 1535 words added (total)

I might be going to Switzerland at the end of January so that's additional pressure for me to study German, but I also need to study Harukorean because my membership expires in 20 days. So I'm doing both.

And - I bought a new phone! I'm very excited to try out all the apps I can find. My previous phone was an Android too but it had only 100 MB RAM so there was very little space for apps and it got slower and slower the more I used it. The new one is the LG G2, it's one of the best phones out there (that are phone-sized, not tablet-sized). I haven't put Ankidroid on it yet but that's the first thing I will do tomorrow.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 20 of 236
12 January 2014 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
I finished the first level of Warum Nicht. They left it on a cliffhanger, haha. They sure want the listeners to come back and study some more.

I also started unit 4 from my textbook and I'm amazed that it already covers the word order in subordinate clauses. Looks like the title of the book is right, it really is "comprehensive". Well, all the better for me. By the way, the previous chapter had some dialogs where the number "two" was "zwo", not "zwei". I had forgotten all about it even though my time in Germany was spent in Bavaria. I'm going to keep doing the DW lessons quickly so that the subjects covered are roughly the same as those in my textbook.

Reading Warp3's log reminded me that I had also started doing the "Let's Speak Korean" videos so I did some more today. They're on Youtube so they are easily accessible. I finished episode 8 today. They sure gloss over many many things so these videos can't be used as a main resource but I have the feeling that they will move very fast to more interesting structures so I'm going to keep watching for now. These first videos have been very easy though.

As for my new phone, the best thing about it is that now I can type on it in Korean! It's going to be useful if I want to look up a word or just search the Korean internet. My old phone had an old Android version so there was no easy way to change the language.

I also took a look at the radio and podcast apps. I see everyone here recommending TuneIn radio but I read reviews that said that the latest versions keep clogging more and more space and truthfully their web version doesn't impress me in terms of the available radio stations so in the end I stuck with my old app, tfsRadio. It has more Korean stations than anywhere else I've seen.

I also got Podcast Addict but it wasn't able to play the Yoo Inna podcasts, it gave me some kind of error. I didn't try anything else yet, I'm not very savvy in the podcasting field. Frankly this is not that important for me because my daily commute these days consists of walking less than 15 minutes and I can just listen to the radio for that time or not listen to anything at all. Sometimes it seems too much trouble to detangle my earphones, put them in, and find something to listen to.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4392 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 21 of 236
12 January 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
If you haven't tried it, maybe check out the 팟빵 app. You can even download the podcast
you want to listen to directly from the app it self. However, for the Yoo Inna podcasts,
be careful, there are 2 choices and one is always "videos" (it opens your video player
but there's just the sound) and one is normal sound-only podcast.
I don't know if you have an apple or else, but here goes the links to either:
Apple
app

Android
app

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 22 of 236
15 January 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko, thanks for the links. I have an Android phone but I haven't had time to check out any new apps yet. Maybe next weekend.

I habe nie Buchführung studiert. Es ist mir immer schwer gefallen, mich an den Unterschied swischen Begriffe wie "Credit" und "Debit" zu erinnern. Aber jetzt muss ich vieles ūber Buchhaltung lernen und nicht auf Lettisch oder Englisch, sondern auf Deutsch. Es ist sehr schwierig, aber ohne das geht es nicht. Und so habe ich diese Seite gefunden: http://www.buechhaltig.ch/lektionen.htm. I habe schon die ersten zwei Kapitel gelesen. Es ist eine Herausfirderung, aber mit der Hilfe des Wörterbuchs kann ich es schaffen.

Heute hatte ich eine Stundenlange Videokonferenz, in der ein Slovak über dieses Thema sprach. Sein Deutsch (der Akzent und die Grammatik) was nicht sehr gut und manchmal war es schwierig für mich, ihn zu verstehen. Aber jetzt kann ich ein bisschen leichter auf Deutsch schreiben.

I just wrote a whole lot of German. Since I really have to use it more and more at work (not much speaking yet but a lot of reading and some listening and writing) I'm also becoming more comfortable with it. I had a video conference today where I only had to listen (to German) but I told that guy that my English is better for speaking so when he asked me some questions he did it in English.

But work is exhausting these days. Not only I have to learn German but I also have to learn the program I'm supporting and all the technical details and also accounting because that's a big part of the software. So when I go home I don't want to study languages, I'm too tired. I do a little bit out of habit but not much.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 23 of 236
15 January 2014 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
g-bod just published the German TAC team challenge for January - it's to learn the lyrics of a song or to translate them if that's too easy. I'm not sure whether I will do this or not (since my level is too high for that to be a real challenge) but it prompted me to think about the German songs I once knew and loved so I thought I should share them. Perhaps someone else will find them nice as well.

I'm not a music buff in any language. I hear some songs on the radio, some on music TV, some as soundtracks. I don't claim to have an eclectic taste or anything, they're mostly just popsongs that I heard on VIVA 10-15 years ago.

One of the songs I remember the best is Oli P. - Flugzeuge im Bauch. I didn't have the lyrics, the internet was barely born in 1998, so I tried to listen and listen and figure out the words. It was a very challenging song because some parts were spoken very quickly but I liked to practice with the parts that I could figure out. Some parts I never did figure out. I guess now's the time to look them finally up.

If we talk about boy bands (they were popular in the nineties), the first thing that comes to mind is Echt. I know many of their songs and most of the lyrics, I practiced these lyrics a lot as well. "Du trägst keine Liebe in dir", "Wo bist du jetzt", "Junimond", "Weinst du" etc. You can find them on youtube.

Xavier Naidoo was also very popular at that time. I didn't especially like most of his songs but I do love Abschied nehmen. I also loved his song "Danke" to the football players.

There is one much newer song that I like not because I heard it 50 times but because I heard it once or twice and instantly fell for it. It's Ich + Ich - Stark. I love both the lyrics and the melody.

I also loved Christian Wunderlich's songs but he sang in English so I guess he doesn't count in this context.

That's it, I guess. I've been listening to some German radio stations in the last few months and I'm sure I have heard many current German songs but none in particular come to mind.
5 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 24 of 236
16 January 2014 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Thanks for reminding me of Abschied Nehmen, a beautiful song...

Edited by BAnna on 16 January 2014 at 5:17am

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version