Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 233 of 236
05 July 2015 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
The hotel in Sokcho is actually the only one I've already booked, and it's in Sokcho itself, not near the park. Those hotels were more expensive, and I wanted to explore Sokcho anyway. There's just one strange thing. I got an email from the guest house saying I need to reconfirm my booking 10 days before arrival, and if I don't do it my reservation will be automatically cancelled. What is that??? What if I forget? What if I do it 15 days before arrival? And more importantly, the e-mail didn't specify how I should do this reconfirmation. No link or anything. That's bad customer service.

Right... Back to my studies. I decided to make another go at the Ewha level 2 book I ordered last year. The last time I tried it I dropped it pretty quickly, not even getting through the first chapter. The Ewha books are intended for classroom use so they are more difficult for self-study. Also, there's very little English in the books. The instructions for tasks are all in Korean, and the only text that has a translation is the one in the culture section. Example dialogues don't have any translations.

All of this was making the book difficult for me, but now time has passed and I know more Korean and especially watching the Quick Korean series has prepared me for studying Korean in Korean. I did about 6 pages this weekend, and I had lots of "I should know this word, I know it's in my Anki, but I can't remember". Words like 가입, 환영, 기간, 명절, 자랑하다. The texts I worked through were not trivial, but also not too difficult since I did know the vocabulary. I can already tell that working through this book will make me very glad I never abandoned my Anki vocabulary deck. The words in my deck sometimes don't want to stick because they don't have any context, but they should stick much better after I encounter them in the book.

There was one word that was new to me though - 여부. A very interesting word. I added it to Anki with the English translation of "or not".

I haven't mentioned it in a while but I'm still reading through the SNU level 1 textbook. I started doing it not so much to review (the grammar is quite easy) as to improve my reading speed. I'm over halfway now and I'm happy to say my reading speed has indeed improved. I can now read Korean texts almost as quickly as people normally speak. There's still room for improvement, though, so I will continue this activity.

These days my favorite radio station to listen to at home and at work is Antenne Niedersachsen. I like their mix of music and I feel I should at least maintain my German somehow, if not improve it. My need for it at work hasn't changed. But on the phone I listen to Yoo Inna's show so that's Korean time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 234 of 236
08 July 2015 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I've been in a Kdrama drought since Healer ended several months ago. I've been lazy to download them and check them out, but those that I did check didn't grab me and I didn't finish any of them. I usually pick my dramas based on what I read in the Dramabeans' Open Thread. Let's see if I remember the names. Kill Me Heal Me, Girl Who Sees Smells, Heard It Through The Grapevine, High Society, Divorce Lawyer In Love, Warm And Cozy. Maybe I forgot something. Grapevine is still on my list, I just need the right mood to watch it.

Anyway, I always used to finish the dramas I started but I guess I'm getting more picky now. I didn't drop them because they were particularly bad, I just didn't care what happened, I wasn't emotionally invested. And what's the point of watching if I don't care what happens? Sure, I could watch them anyway, but I wanted to find a drama that would really grab me, and finally I found one - My Love Eun Dong. It's the love story of a man and a woman who first meet in 1995 as kids, then get separated, then reconnect in 2005 as young adults, then get separated again, and finally meet again in 2015. There's a lot of angst and memory loss and people who want to keep them apart, but there's also a lot of sweetness in it, and the main leads are captivating. The heroine is played by the same actress that played the second lead in Secret Garden and she was quite bitchy there so I wasn't sure I would like her here, but I've been impressed by her acting.

Since I'm now all caught up on the current episodes of My Love Eun Dong, the next dramas on my list are The producers and Mask. I'm on holiday next week so I'll have plenty of time for watching.

By the way, lately I've been using mostly this site to download the episodes. It's convenient since the English subtitles are already included in the file and I don't have to look for them separately. I recommend the site to anyone who wants to check out Korean dramas.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 235 of 236
01 August 2015 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm waiting to see what will happen to this forum and whether we will move to a new one so I'm not posting much in the meantime. I'm doing more or less the same things - keeping up with Anki, studying from my textbooks when I feel like it (which is not that often) and adding more sentences to Anki.

I've also been booking places to stay in Korea - 6 in total. I'm getting excited for my trip. I need to watch Queen Seondeok before I go, then I can visit the Silla Millennium Park.

By the way, I learned a new grammar point today - 아/어 가지고. I'd seen it before but I hadn't studied it. Overall I've been learning very little new grammar lately but that should change in the near future as I get further into my textbooks.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 236 of 236
27 August 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I will be continuing my log on the new Language Learners forum. I hope to see you all there!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version