Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 25 of 236
16 January 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Herbert Grönemeyer has a lot of challenging (and sometimes awkward) lyrics, if you're looking for something like that ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 26 of 236
19 January 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks but Herbert Grönemeyer is not my style, lol. I'm pretty indifferent to his songs. Anyway, I think I won't be doing the German challenge, you can just go to lyricstranslate.com and find what you need. Now, translating to Latvian would be a different thing but there's no point in doing that since nobody will understand it anyway. But if we're speaking about the most challenging song to sing along to, it has to be Oli.P's So bist du. I hadn't listened to this song for years so I had forgotten how difficult the rap parts are but they really are. Even though I still know most of the lyrics by heart, I have trouble pronouncing them at the necessary speed. If any non-native German speaker can manage to do it, you have my respect.

While we're at it, I have a question about the lyrics:

Wir haben schnell gecheckt und doch ist nichts passiert
Den ganzen Tag gelacht und rumprobiert

Could anyone translate this please? I understand they laughed all day long and nothing bad happened but what do the other words mean?

As for studying, I didn't touch my German textbook in the last few days but I did the other two activities. I'm up to lesson 2x09 on Warum Nicht and I have 1680 words in my list. In one of the WN lessons, I learned expression "Was bekommen Sie?" for the first time. Apparently it's something sales assistants can say to you to ask you what you would like to buy. I don't remember ever learning this expression or hearing it when I was in Germany so it's very strange. Seltsam, as they would say.

As for Korean, I went back to my textbook, finished chapter 14 and started chapter 15. And I'm sick of writing it but I still haven't gotten rid of my Anki backlog. My method of reviewing is that I often press "Good" even when I didn't remember the card but after pressing it I stop reviewing and think about this word for a minute or two to remember it better. Sometimes I do this for every second or third word. As you can imagine, that makes me stop reviewing many times a day and then I have to do other things and don't come back to reviewing until a couple of hours have passed and so I don't get to review many words a day. If you were wondering why I need two months to clear a backlog of 300 words, well, that's the reason, and of course the fact that I keep adding new words as well.

Oh, and I just finished lesson 20 of Let's Speak Korean. I don't like them as well as the TTMIK lessons but they're short so it's easy to motivate myself to watch just one or maybe two.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 27 of 236
23 January 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Nothing much has happened, I'm just continuing with my usual activities both for German and for Korean. So there's not much to write about here but I think it's good for my studying. In chapter 15 of my Korean textbook I learned a new grammar point - 았/었다가, I hadn't realized before that there was a difference between this and the simple 다가. I want to finish this textbook and then move on to another one, like I said before.

My listening comprehension in Korean is slowly getting better. I started watching Monday's episode of PM&I on Monday without subtitles and I continued to watch for almost 20 minutes and during that time I understood most of the family related stuff, like talking about eating or sleeping or worrying or liking someone, easy vocabulary like that. I have to admit I haven't yet learned the word for 'to fart' but I probably should since Koreans are much less shy than we (or at least Latvians in any case) regarding the discussion of bodily functions.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 28 of 236
24 January 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
I don't recall learning "to fart" offhand but "to hold back a fart" is 방귀를 참다 (which
I, of course, picked up from variety TV). NOTE: 방구 is a common misspelling and
mispronunciation of 방귀, but the latter is usually considered the more "correct" of the
two.

Edited by Warp3 on 24 January 2014 at 9:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 29 of 236
26 January 2014 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
German:

I worked on my word list during the weekend and now it has close to 1800 words. In the process I learned three words I didn't know at all: Imbiss, husten and Pauschalreise. I don't know how I managed to avoid the word for coughing for so long but apparently there are some small holes in my vocabulary. Hopefully the list will take care of it. My sources for the words are my German study materials (not native materials) and a couple of Anki decks. I want to be sure I don't miss any words I should know.

I'm up to lesson 2x13 on Warum Nicht and still in unit 4 of my textbook. I wanted to finish the unit today but those units are really long with lots of exercises so I stopped midway. Even though it's a book for beginners, it's not easy for me to study it intensively, it's much harder and more condensed than the WN lessons. And since I'm always checking whether there are any words that I haven't added to my list, it takes even longer.

I think listening is my favorite activity in German, it's easier for me than reading. In the many years I didn't do anything with German, it seems that my eyes forgot the German words so I can't read in German as fast as in English, it requires more effort. But my ears didn't forget the sound of German (maybe because I still listened to German music occasionally) so it requires very little concentration for me to listen. That's why I prefer listening to the news instead of reading newspapers.

Korean:

I finished chapter 15 of my textbook, good. This textbook has a lot of example sentences/short dialogs for each new grammar point and I had a good laugh reading the following because it sounded like something straight out of a drama:

A: 늦지 마. - Don't be late.
B: 알았어. - All right.
A: 이번에 또 늦으면 죽어. - You're dead if you're late again.

I also finished the slides from intermediate lesson 3 (on the KLEAR website) and started lesson 4. Its first grammar point is -는 길에 which I had seen on TTMIK (level 7 maybe) but hadn't learned properly. I haven't reviewed the later levels (7, 8) much, maybe it's a good idea to devote some time to it. But later.

I also did my usual Anki reviews and listened to some of Yoo Inna's podcasts. I didn't do anything on Harukorean, which is a shame because my subscription expires in a week. I did listen to some more of Let's speak Korean videos, I'm up to #27 now.

Edited by Evita on 26 January 2014 at 9:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 30 of 236
26 January 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
I could easily picture that dialog in a drama, sitcom, or a movie like 엽기적인 그녀. Which
textbook are you using that has dialogs like that?

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 31 of 236
26 January 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
I'm using the KLEC textbooks "My Korean". It's basically one book in two parts, each part covers one semester. I'm already in the middle of the second book and I hope to finish it soon. These books focus on the casual language a lot. Each chapter has three comics where some university students talk to each other in the informal language. These comics were the most difficult part because they often use grammar that hasn't been officially introduced yet but now I'm at a level where that isn't a problem anymore.

I always advise new Korean students to use this book because it's good and available for free but I haven't seen anyone else do it yet.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 32 of 236
26 January 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Ahhh...I downloaded those a long time ago, but never really went through them. Thanks for
the reminder.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version