Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 49 of 236
16 February 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
입 맞추며 내 맘 전했지
I kissed you and showed you my heart / I showed you my heart by kissing you
-> I'm pretty sure that 마음을 전하다 means to show someone your heart/tell someone
your feelings.

It never occurred to me that 내 맘 might be the *object* of the sentence. That makes far
more sense than the mess I came up with...lol

Quote:

대사만 치면 ‘컷’소리 나올 텐데
???

I did some digging on Daum and while I can't find a usage of 대사(만) 치다, I did find
where 대사 can refer to "one's lines" in a play, film, show, etc. Given the context of this
section this makes sense as the latter portion of this line refers to the expectation of
someone yelling "cut" (more literally: "cut" sound comes out) Based on some Google
searching, 대사를 치다 *seems* to refer to screwing up one's lines, but I'm still not
100% positive on that since I didn't find nearly as many hits as I expected.

Edited by Warp3 on 16 February 2014 at 2:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 50 of 236
16 February 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
It never occurred to me that 내 맘 might be the *object* of the sentence.

Courtesy by numerous KDramas ;) I always say the only thing I really know in Korean is how to talk about dating... What a waste...

Warp3 wrote:
Given the context of this section this makes sense as the latter portion of this line refers to the expectation of someone yelling "cut" (more literally: "cut" sound comes out) Based on some Google searching, 대사를 치다 *seems* to refer to screwing up one's lines, but I'm still not 100% positive on that since I didn't find nearly as many hits as I expected.

Hmm... Now that 컷 thing makes sense! That's what stumped me, as well as the meaning of 치다 in this case.

Maybe it's somewhere along the lines of "I think as soon as I hit(start?try?) my lines, I'll hear someone yelling CUT"?

But it really could also mean to screw up... 망치다 (ruin, screw up) is near enough... Maybe they say 대사 망치면, not 대사만 치면? Could be written down incorrectly, too, just a possibility.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 51 of 236
16 February 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both a lot! I really appreciate your help, I'll study your comments in detail. I found the last part of the song (after the rap) the easiest to translate. The word 첨 stumped me for a while but then I had a light-bulb moment and realized it was actually 처음.

There is one thing I still don't quite get. The first line of the song contains the word '내리던' and '-던' means that an action used to occur regularly in the past but not anymore. So I think that the first verse about calling her on the phone when the first snow came was something that happened every year. But the rest of the song seems to be talking about a particular event (the kiss). Where and how does this transition happen? I don't see it.

There's also one more thing I've been meaning to ask. I've noticed a word in Yoo Inna's podcasts that sounds like '유디' but I can't find it in the dictionary. I think it may refer to people but I'm not sure. Maybe one of you knows what it could be?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 52 of 236
16 February 2014 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
The word 첨 stumped me for a while but then I had a light-bulb moment and
realized it was actually 처음.

I ran into the same thing when SE reading "AOA - Get Out" as the second verse starts
with 첨엔 (a contraction (twice) of 처음에는).

Quote:
There is one thing I still don't quite get. The first line of the song contains the
word '내리던' and '-던' means that an action used to occur regularly in the past but not
anymore. So I think that the first verse about calling her on the phone when the first
snow came was something that happened every year. But the rest of the song seems to
be talking about a particular event (the kiss). Where and how does this transition
happen? I don't see it.

The only definition I've really heard about ~던 previously is that it is used to reflect back
on a past event. Granted many of the uses I've seen tend to imply a permanent change
of state (like 널 사랑했던 나 = "the me who used to love you") but I'm not aware of that
being a requirement to use the ending.

Quote:
There's also one more thing I've been meaning to ask. I've noticed a word in Yoo
Inna's podcasts that sounds like '유디' but I can't find it in the dictionary. I think it may
refer to people but I'm not sure. Maybe one of you knows what it could be?

After some brainstorming with no ideas, I did a quick search for [유디 유인나] and found a
lot of hits, one of which explained it:
이날 유인나는 자신을 '유디'라고 부리는 이유에 대해 '유인나 디제이'의 준말이라고 말했
다.
Apparently, 유인나 calls herself that and it is short for 유인나 디제이 (Yoo Inna DJ).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 53 of 236
18 February 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
This trip has had a strange effect on me. It should have made me more enthusiastic to study German but instead I've only studied Korean since I came back. I don't know, maybe it's because I didn't have much time for Korean while I was away. In any case, I've made some progress on unit 17 in my textbook and I've listened many more times to this song trying to sing along (also made some progress on that) and I've been listening to more podcasts from Yoo Inna. I probably wouldn't be listening to such a show in Latvian or in English, it would be too boring for me, but somehow it's become one of my favorite activities in Korean. Now that I know what 유디 is, it's even better. Maybe what I like is seeing the progress I make. When I first started listening to her show, I could only pick out some words but couldn't understand much of what was going on. Now I start being able to distinguish between the segments or when Inna starts to read a letter or finishes it. Just now I heard some construction involving the word 보내다 (to send) and I realized she used it in the context of the letters so next time I'll be on the lookout for the exact expression. It's like - well "duh", of course she would be talking about sending and receiving letters but I just hadn't made the connection because I usually don't listen very intensively, the show is almost an hour long after all. But when I do make the effort, it's very rewarding.

For example, one time she was discussing the love for parents and I could understand a lot of it (and by "a lot" I mean at least a few full sentences). One other time she talked about how she had gone to IU's concert and I understood some of that as well since I knew who IU was and that they had been in a drama together. Then there are words that I hear and recognize from my Anki, like 고생 or 유난히, but whose meaning I can't immediately recall. It's all good for my learning because I will definitely remember these words better the next time I see them.

The thing that is holding me back from acquiring Korean quicker is my lack of reading practice. I read some drama scripts or Iyagi scripts sporadically but even those are primarily audio resources. I've been aware of this lacking for a while now and I've tried to do something about it but it never comes to anything. I think it's because of the same old reason that I want to enjoy Korean and reading is still too difficult for me to enjoy it. Oh well, I'm not worried about it, I'm sure the reading will come in its own time. The sound of the language was the thing that attracted me to it in the first place so it only makes sense that I like listening better (for now).

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 54 of 236
18 February 2014 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I think intensive listening becomes very rewarding over time - it's so motivating when all the talking that went right by you at first starts to make more and more sense. I find that reading has given my listening skills quite the boost as well, but it was a painstaking activity for a long time and it still takes some effort for most books. I can recommend children's books if you want a gentle introduction to native materials. They can actually be quite nice to read when what you really care about is understanding more Korean and not the totally gripping tales of witches and schoolchildren :) Although I must say I liked that, too, because some of it was culturally rather interesting.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 55 of 236
19 February 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Ha, I've read your logs so I knew you'd recommend children's books but I don't think that's for me. Maybe if I had easy access to them... But I don't. What I do have is the three comic books for You're Beautiful (I ordered them ages ago) so my plan for when I get around to it is to rewatch the series to remember what was going on and then to read those books. I also have the one book that my colleague bought for me in Korea, I don't remember the name. I also found a torrent and downloaded more than 1GB worth of books. That should be enough for a lifetime I'd think, LOL. I will definitely start reading some articles on the internet at some point as well, I just don't want to do it yet.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 56 of 236
19 February 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Evita, have you tried webtoons on Naver and Daum? Each chapter is fairly short and it
helps with reading comprehension, especially since the pictures give you even more
context to help you learn words. Maybe Warp can help expand on this point, but I think
webtoons have helped me a bit, mainly because they started to get me reading more in
Korean before I moved onto novels.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version