Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4911 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 1 of 69
01 January 2014 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm Bakunin, and this is my log for Thai, Polish, maybe some French and, God forbid, wanderlust.

I've been learning Thai since 2009, most of the time at a pretty decent level of intensity. I guess I'm somewhere in the B's, but it's hard to say with certainty. I'm pretty comfortable reading books, listening to the radio, writing emails and chatting with friends, but there's still a lot I don't know or can't express with ease.

I learned Polish for about three years around 2000 and reached an intermediate level back then. Most of that is dormant, but I've been trying to wake it up since summer 2013. Now, at the beginning of 2014, I've recovered enough Polish to be able to enjoy reading books for young readers and get the gist of most podcasts I've subscribed to. However, I can't say much and am far from being able to hold a conversation.

I started learning French in 2006, with a few intensive bursts here and there. Mostly, it has been on the back burner, though. Listening is my strongest skill since I regularly listen to a wide variety of podcasts. I also read books, often alternating between regular novels, which are vocabulary-wise still a bit of a challenge, and books for young readers. I did a fair amount of speaking in the first few years but haven't had many opportunities in recent years.

Edited by Bakunin on 08 March 2014 at 8:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 2 of 69
01 January 2014 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Witam Bakunin!
Best wishes in 2014 for all your languages (especially Polish of course!).

1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4432 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 3 of 69
01 January 2014 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Keeping an eye on this log, too.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 69
01 January 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Me too, and also because of Polish. What got you interested in the language btw?
(just in case: there's a "watch this topic for replies" link at the bottom. I know sometimes people think it's necessary to post something in order to tick the box)

Edited by Serpent on 01 January 2014 at 7:45pm

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4150 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 5 of 69
01 January 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Good luck in 2014, especially with Polish!

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4911 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 6 of 69
01 January 2014 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
@Mooby: Thanks :) I'm looking forward to following your new log! You always dig up interesting stuff.

@Zireael: Witam serdecznie! Should I post stuff in Polish and you see glaring errors, you're very welcome to help me improve :)

@Serpent: Dlaczego uczę się polskiego? Here's what I recently wrote on lang-8 regarding that question… Właściwie nie mam jakiegoś ważnego powodu by uczyć się polskiego. Zacząłem się uczyć tego języka, kiedy jeszcze byłem studentem w Niemczech, ponieważ był kurs na uniwersytecie i szukałem czegoś nowego, egzotycznego. Myślałem też, że warto uczyć się języka sąsiada, zwłaszcza, że łączy nas tak trudna, wspólna historia. Teraz też uważam, że znajomość języka polskiego to drzwi do świata słowiańskiego. Kiedy podróżowałem po Słowacji, Czechach i Azji Środkowej, czyli po Kirgistanie i Uzbekistanie, znajomość słów języka słowiańskiego była bardzo korzystna (jednak jestem pewny, że język rosyjski byłby jeszcze korzystniejszy w tym regionie świata). I also like the sound of Polish, it's a soft and melodic language. The food's great, as is Polish music, e.g., Grzegorz Turnau or Czesław Śpiewa. But most of all I probably just enjoy learning languages :))

@Fuenf_Katzen: Thanks, I also wish you all the best for your Polish and Ukrainian studies! Ukrainian is an interesting choice and will certainly be a good complement for Polish.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4911 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 7 of 69
01 January 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I just finished volume 19 of Przygody Trzech Dektektywów, the third of three books of this series I bought during my bike trip around Bieszczady last summer. I've read this series ("Die Drei Fragezeichen" in German) when I was a kid, but I don't remember the stories. It's an adventure series about three boys who get involved in all kinds of weird adventures and criminal cases. The books only have about 100 pages each, and the stories are entertaining and fast-paced. It amazes me that I can read 100 pages of Polish within a few hours, whereas my reading speed in Thai, which I know much, much better, is still a factor 3 slower. I've ordered all 20 books of the series from siedmiorog, but they haven't arrived yet.

I'm going to try a little experiment to study the effect of extensive reading on my comprehension. For each of the next few books I'll read, I will select at random one page around page 20 and mark, and count, all words I don't know and can't guess from context. This gives me an estimate of my lexical coverage rate (at this point in time, for this particular book...), and I hope to see this rate improve over time. It will jump around a bit due to stochastic effects, but there should hopefully be a trend. I will then go back to this page after having finished the book to see how many of the words I couldn't guess at first have now become clear. This should be a nice indication of progress (if there is any).

Here are the numbers for the book I finished today: 14 unknown words out of 256, coverage rate 95%. Having finished the book, I now understand 5 of those 14 words.

Research on extensive reading (reading for pleasure, without looking up words) indicates that a coverage rate of 98% and above is ideal, and 95% seems to be something of a minimum in order to have adequate comprehension. As it seems, I'm just entering that range.
5 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 8 of 69
01 January 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
The page 20 experiment is pretty interesting! I might just try it out as well.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version