Germany
Joined 3776 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 1
01 January 2014 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone and welcome to my log!

I am a half Chinese guy who doesn't really speak Chinese yet.

In my early childhood I could speak some Chinese but because my mother assumed that it wouldn't be useful for me, she stopped talking to me in that language when we moved to Germany.

I am 24 now.

15 months ago, I began studying Chinese at University.
I must say, it is a special feeling when you need to learn the language from scratch, learn how to write 你好 in class and catch yourself wishing that you had gotten that kind of education as a freebie since your mirror reminds you daily that you're half Chinese.

But then those silly thoughts are quickly dispelled at the sheer thought of having to experience what it is like to prepare for and pass the 高考(the Chinese college entrance examination) if I had grown up on the other side of the planet.

As such, I am studying Chinese at a German University now. Despite having gotten good grades, I was lazy throughout these past three terms and I was honestly surprised to hear that I have apparently received a scholarship that will enable me to study abroad in Taiwan for a year.

But right now, there is something more urgent. Before I'll fly to Taipei(September 2014) I will have to study in Beijing for a term, as part of the University program.

Actually, come to think of it, I will be there in about 60 days from now.

That's exciting but also scary, considering I probably can't order Pizza in Chinese yet. Not that I would. But you get the idea.

I am not a fan of having to trick my mind to get the necessary motivation to keep studying but I hope that this log here will not only serve others but also induce some guilt in me if I decide to slack off at some point in the future.

So here is what I am going to do:

1) Just doing what the University asks of you in terms of learning Chinese will obviously never get you fluent. However, to do well during the exams and to get some sort of foundation in the language, it can't hurt to follow the textbooks(Hanyu Jiaocheng in my case) to a certain degree.

To that end, I am putting everything into Skritter(which I can wholeheartedly recommend if you want a Spaced Repetition Software that also allows you to learn how to write Chinese characters)

Since I started Skrittering 4 days ago, I actually already reviewed around 1500 words, which covers these 3 terms so far at University.

2)

Glossika.

About the best thing I could find for learning conversational Chinese. He releases sentence packs from time to time and they're not that expensive. Each pack gives you 1000 Chinese Sentences, along with their English translations and high quality audio.
So far, he has released the first three Basic sentence packs and three "fluency" modules(which focus on specific themes such as Appointments, Travel and Daily Life)

He's also released GSR(Glossika Spaced Repetition) versions of some of his modules which systematically teach you the content within 100 days(if you so choose)

I've taken some liberty with following his program. It is not perfectly explained and I've actually already entered all of the Basic 1 Sentences into Anki, along with the audio(Audio cards>Plain cards) and I've set it up so that it will ask for the Chinese translation of the English sentences and compare my written Chinese input with the answer(which also triggers the audio since I intend to practice typing and speaking Chinese with this method)

3)

ChineseLearnOnline

This is a Podcast. It distinguishes itself from the others in that it has a linear structure(420 lessons in fact) and in that their lessons build on each other(which is useful if you want to avoid learning random words which won't be used in further lessons)

My Goals are relatively simple:

Attain basic fluency in Chinese by the time I arrive in Beijing.

Adjust to traditional Chinese characters by the time I arrive in Taipei.

This won't be easy but I think it is doable. Actually, I don't have many options now, seeing as I will be in a Chinese environment for the next 18 months.

Let's hope I won't die of lung cancer or turn insane before I'll become fluent in Chinese!

Edited by Zhenren on 02 January 2014 at 12:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version