SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 12
28 January 2014 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Dankjewel, Kez! Indeed, it becomes easier and easier each day, especially reading. The other day I thought to myself: Hey, I have barely studied Dutch and here I am reading about (Swedish) politics, ecomonics etc. OK, a lot of international vocabulary, but I'm still somewhat surprised.

Hekje - if it's a work day, I usually study anytime between say 7PM and bedtime. My ambition is to do a daily shadowing session of ~15 minutes. Sometimes I find the time, sometimes not (but then I'll do that session next day).

Stay tuned for an update...

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 30 January 2014 at 1:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4022 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 10 of 12
29 January 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Jeff, I find I get bored easily with just using a course (I'm using Assimil), do you find that with "Nederlands voor
buitenlanders"?

I'm supplementing with reading parallel texts, and scoping out some grammar books, but it's a bit tough going
since I've got huge gaps in my basic knowledge.

Keep up the posting, I'm finding it useful!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 12
30 January 2014 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
I'm more or less where I left off last time (during my flirt with Dutch), so while I haven't listened to/read/shadowed anything "new", it's still a long while since I did anything with the language. And in that respect, it's new/exciting enough.

Compared to (my previous experience with other courses from) Assimil, "Nederlands voor buitenlanders" doesn't have much silence, nor slow dialogues. Of course this is something that keeps me wanting to finish the book. It has 45 short lessons - the first CD (well over 70 minutes) covers lessons 1-32, and the second CD is ~36 minutes long. So, lessons that are 2-3 minutes long, without breaks, repeats etc. is just what I want.

As I've mentioned, I skim a grammar now and then, as well as read the (rather dry) book about Sweden.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4463 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 12 of 12
30 January 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Hekje - if it's a work day, I usually study anytime between say
7PM and bedtime. My ambition is to do a daily shadowing session of ~15 minutes. Sometimes
I find the time, sometimes not (but then I'll do that session next day).

Cool! I've been trying to get down a good routine for Indonesian. Dutch already fits into
my schedule because I can just read on my commute, but Indonesian tends to get pushed
later and later until I feel too tired to study. Still working on finding that sweet
spot. :-P

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version