Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mi Cuaderno: Español, Mandarín (TAC ’14)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1
PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3793 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 16
03 January 2014 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
The software I use is "Sogou Pinyin" >>http://pinyin.sogou.com
It's one of the popular methods among the native speakers. But the website doesn't have any English explanation. I Googled it and found this explanation   >>http://fluentinmandarin .com/content/how-to-type-in-c hinese-using-sogou-pinyin ....(Note: somehow there's a gap bet. 'c hinese' that I can't edit it out...sorry) See if it can help you download and set it up.

Your computer's own Chinese input works well too. Do you use Mac or Windows? For Mac, just add "Chinese" to the input menu; For Windows, go to Control Panel > clock, language, region (change keyboards or other input methods) > change keyboards > Add > Chinese/simplified or Chinese/traditional

+++

The similar phrase in Spanish would be "¡Venga! ¡Venga!" haha:) I used to watch major cycling races like Tour de France, Vuelta a España. During the individual time trial stages where those cyclists race alone against the clock, directeur sportif would ride in the team car following behind the rider and yell out "¡Venga! ¡Venga!":)

Edited by PointsDotsLines on 03 January 2014 at 7:15am

3 persons have voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4450 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 10 of 16
03 January 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
The most similar phrase I can think of in Korean is the one I noted above ("hwaiting", a loan
word form of "fighting"). There are some other phrases of encouragement (that aren't English loan words), but
that's really the closest fit to what PointsDotsLines was describing (and is constantly used on Korean TV for this
purpose).

Ah, sorry. I must have quickly read through your last post and didn't see that you wrote that 화이팅 was used the
same way. That's interesting that it's a loan word.

PointsDotsLines wrote:
Your computer's own Chinese input works well too. Do you use Mac or Windows? For
Mac, just add "Chinese" to the input menu

Thanks, Charles! I have a Mac. Didn't know that it had that feature. Just tried it out, and it works beautifully. This
will be quite helpful for memorizing characters.

PointsDotsLines wrote:
The similar phrase in Spanish would be "¡Venga! ¡Venga!" haha:) I used to watch major
cycling races like Tour de France, Vuelta a España. During the individual time trial stages where those cyclists
race alone against the clock, directeur sportif would ride in the team car following behind the rider and yell out
"¡Venga! ¡Venga!":)

Good to know! Interesting that different phrases would be used for different situations. For example, "¡Venga!
¡Venga!" to encourage someone in person at a sporting event/etc. but "sigue así" if your are writing a comment
on a school paper or in a note to someone. Spanish speakers on Lang-8 often write "Sigue así" after their
corrections on my entries or sometimes "¡Animó!" but I think the latter has a slightly different meaning and takes
into consideration that the task at hand is a large and difficult one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3793 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 

Message 11 of 16
03 January 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Great that the Chinese input feature works well for you:) But I'll have to say.... the best way to memorize characters/words is to write them by hand -- stroke by stroke;-)

¡Muchos saludos y espero que tengas un buen día!
1 person has voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4450 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 

Message 12 of 16
14 January 2014 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Looks like it's time for an update. :) Thanks again to everyone who has commented on my log so far.

Spanish Update

After studying one language consistently for over two years, it seems that it has eventually becomes a natural
part of my daily habits. I don't think a day goes by where I don't have some kind of Spanish exposure, even if it's
just listening to music or the radio. Usually, it's much more intense than that though. I usually read a Spanish
book in the morning, listen to music throughout the day, and watch an episode of a Spanish show in the evening.
However, all of these activities are passive. I need to try to integrate activities into my daily schedule that
challenge active skills (writing and speaking) until these become habits too. Anyhow, here's how my Spanish
studies went over the past week:

Reading

Reading is my main way of picking up new vocabulary. I love how reading acts as a natural SRS. I'll come across a
word and wonder when on earth I'll ever see it again, and then, lo and behold, it turns up in a different book or a
news article days later.

I like to read two books at the same time: one that is challenging and the other that is just at my reading level
that I can breeze through. I'm reading an economics book right now that is helping me pick up a lot of
specialized vocabulary along with a copy of The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis. I actually haven't found
the economics book to be too difficult, and I think the Lewis novel is right at or a little below my reading level. I
should finish both soon.

(How I developed my Spanish reading skills)...

FSI is a really great program because it slowly introduces you to reading passages in Spanish. These passages
become longer and longer as the program progresses. Along with these FSI passages, I used Biblegateway.com to
read the Bible in Spanish with the parallel English passage on the side. I could also listen to the passage being
read in Spanish.

This was great for building my confidence before I decided to pick up a Spanish translation of The Hunger
Games
. Maybe I should have started with an easier book series (I had never even read them in English), but I
pushed my way through. I had an online copy that allowed me to copy and paste passages directly into Google
Translate. When I first started out, I was pretty much copying and pasting every paragraph. Slowly this became
several sentences. Then dropped to a handful of words. Now I find that I can read translated works quite easily. I
have a little bit more difficulty with works originally written in Spanish so I am planning to tackle Cien años de
soledad
in the next month or so. I've already read two books by Gabo.

Anyone who is just beginning to read books in Spanish, feel free to ask me more questions about my method.
When I am reading, I try to pay careful attention to grammatical structures. Even if I can figure out the general
meaning of a word from the passage, usually I will also look it up just to be sure. I find that my brain likes to be
100% sure of a word's meaning before it will memorize it. I don't use Anki or anything like that to memorize the
vocabulary I come across, but sometimes I'll think about a word I read and look it up in the dictionary to reinforce
it.

Listening

Listening is coming along quite well. The other day I played an album that I hadn't listened to since this past
summer. It had been one of my favorite albums, one that I used to listen to over and over. At the time, however, I
usually couldn't follow the lyrics. However, when I listened to it the other day, I was amazed that I could actually
understand the songs. If you ever need a confidence boost and you've been studying for at least six months or a
year, go back and try to listen/watch/read native materials that you were exposed to at the beginning of your
language studies. Then you'll truly see how far you've come.

In December, I finished watching the Spanish television series Gran Hotel. I've been looking for a new show
and started watching El Internado (two of the actors from Gran Hotel appear in this show as well). It's
quite different from Gran Hotel, and I wasn't quite hooked by the first two episodes, but it's been slowly
growing on me.

I also was looking for a show that would expose me to South American accents and slang as that's the
predominant Spanish that one usually hears in the US, and my language exchange partner is from South America.
I also wanted a show that would revolve around everyday situations so I could experience modern language being
spoken at home, at a store, etc. Gran Hotel hadn't been much help there as it took place in 1905 in a hotel.
But I finally found the perfect show in dubbed episodes of Drake and Josh (search "Drake y Josh" on
YouTube). It's a show that ran on Nickelodeon from 2004-2008 and revolves around the life of two stepbrothers
with opposite personalities. The episodes are only 20 minutes long and the voice actors are quite good. It's great
if you don't have a lot of time to spend watching a show and want to pick up useful exclamations, words, and
phrases.

Writing

So far this year I've written twice on my Lang-8 account and also written an introduction for Team Lobo (thanks
again to mrwarper for his corrections in the team thread).

Here's a copy of my introduction so you can judge my level of Spanish. This is with MrWarper's corrections (two
missing accent marks, need to leave out "los" before Estados Unidos, "los personajes" instead of "las personajes,"
"leo novelas" instead of "leo las novelas," and "me pongo" instead of "me pone.") Rather encouraging that there
were only these handful of corrections for so long of a piece.

nj24 wrote:
Soy nj24. Vivo en Estados Unidos. Me gradué de la universidad hace un año y actualmente estoy
trabajando por mi cuenta como diseñadora web. El aprendizaje de idiomas es sólo un pasatiempo, pero espero
usarlo en mi carrera en el futuro. Estudio español desde hace poco más de dos años. He aprendido por mí misma
a través de podcasts, libros de texto, y otros recursos.

No sé exactamente qué nivel tengo. Puedo ver programas de televisión y muchas películas sin subtítulos. La
mayor parte del tiempo, puedo seguir la trama y entender casi todo lo que los personajes están diciendo.
Además, desde que he estado leyendo más libros en español, me he dado cuenta de que mi nivel parece mejorar
cada vez más y no tengo que buscar palabras en un diccionario tan a menudo como antes. Pero todavía
encuentro muchas palabras desconocidas cuando leo novelas de autores como Gabriel García Márquez. Me
encanta escribir también, pero me lleva tiempo.

Mi meta para 2014 es dejar atrás todos mis libros de texto (a finales de mes, voy a terminar el cuarto volumen
del curso de FSI). He decidido centrar mis estudios en mejorar mis habilidades de hablar y escribir. Quiero hablar
con más fluidez, porque cuando hablo con hispanohablantes me pongo nerviosa y me olvido palabras y cómo
conjugar los verbos.

Está claro que necesito más práctica. Tengo que hablar y escribir mucho más y sumergirme en todo tipo de
libros, música, y películas en español.

Confío en que el año sea muy exitoso para todos en este grupo. :) Y, por favor, no duden en corregir mis errores.

Someone who corrected one of my entries on Lang-8 wrote, "Your Spanish is awesome. At least, you write like a
native Spanish speaker." That was very encouraging (even though he was just being very nice…I still have a very
long way to go to get to that point). :)

Speaking

I didn't manage to meet with my usual language exchange partner this week, but I did have a great conversation
in Spanish with another friend. I think it lasted about thirty to forty minutes. I talked about my job and we also
talked a little about history and about a book I am reading. I actually hadn't planned at all to talk in Spanish, and
it was impromptu, and I was a bit rusty from not talking in weeks, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself.
He seemed to understand everything I said even when I stumbled over verb conjugations.

Anyhow, I need to schedule a time to talk with my language exchange partner this week or maybe I'll talk again
with my friend if he has any free time. I am also planning to spend some time talking out loud to myself in
Spanish.

Interestingly, I had two dreams this week where I was having conversations in Spanish. I know it wasn't just
Spanish sounds, because I remember what I had said when I woke up. I found that this happened after
several hours of Spanish study directly before going to sleep. Kind of cool.

Mandarin Chinese Update

One of my experiments this year was to see how well I could juggle studying two languages at the same time. I
think I need to work more on this as I have not been studying Chinese everyday.

I did finish the pronunciation module in FSI and the first lesson in the DeFrancis book. I've also watched a couple
of episodes of Growing up with Chinese. I'm hoping to make more progress in the DeFrancis book this week. So
far, I really love the way it is laid out, and I liked that it also included pronunciation drills along with the
conversation drills. I am of course yet to completely master Mandarin Chinese pronunciation. I need to figure out
the best way to incorporate DeFrancis into my daily schedule. The audio for each lesson runs between 30 to 50
minutes so it shouldn't be too hard to find time for it each day.

I've also been listening to a bit of Chinese radio so that I get used to the rhythm of the language.

Anyone have any favorite Chinese TV shows? I feel that watching a show will help continue to draw me into the
language. I saw that there are quite a number of shows on DramaFever.

I'll also try to write my introduction for the Chinese team 鹊 this week. That will be quite a challenge.

Most Important Goals for this Week: Speak More Spanish & Study More Mandarin :)

Bonus Resource: If you've read all the way to the end of this post, you deserve a prize. Check out this cool
website called the Akinator. It's a game like 20 questions where you think of
a fictional or real person, and then the genie tries to guess who you have thought of. The site is available in 14
different languages including Spanish and Mandarin. And can be rather addicting. Enjoy!

Edited by nj24 on 16 January 2014 at 12:09am

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3793 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 

Message 13 of 16
14 January 2014 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I don't know any Chinese TV shows, but if you don't mind watching something long (2 hrs+), here are some films that I like:

Back to 1942 (一九四二): IMDB link/trailer
The Flowers of War (by Christian Bale) (金陵十三钗): IMDB link/trailer
Lust, Caution (色,戒): IMDB link/trailer

These three films are set during WWII so some scenes may not be pleasant to watch. They all have both Chinese and English subtitles (found them on Youtube).

Enjoy watching:)
PS: Look forward to reading your intro in Chinese.

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4450 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 

Message 14 of 16
15 January 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the recommendations, Charles! 謝謝

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 15 of 16
15 January 2014 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link to Akinator, nj24. I'm enjoying it! You should post it in the links and resources section for the whole forum to see.

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4450 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 

Message 16 of 16
16 January 2014 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Glad you are enjoying it, iguanamon. Great idea. I'll post it now.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version