Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

PMs TAC 2015 crazy? French course mission

 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
451 messages over 57 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 56 57 Next >>
Jeffers
Senior Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3218 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

 
 Message 121 of 451
14 June 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
That is a very daunting list. Are these all courses you plan on finishing, un de ces jours?

I'm curious as to why you put FSI in the third category.
1 person has voted this message useful



PeterMollenburg
Senior Member
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3785 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

 
 Message 122 of 451
14 June 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Salut Jeffers!

J'aimerias bien les finir, mais on sait jamais si ça arrivera alors...

I would like to finish them, but you never know what will happen really...

J'ai mis FSI 'niveau 4' dans la part 'supérieur' de la liste parce que je ne suis pas exactement sûr si c'est
facile, difficile ou moyen et également parce que je crois que ça serait mieux si j'attendais un peu après avoir
terminé 'niveau 3' avant que je commence le dernier niveau.

I put FSI 'level 4' in the 'advanced' part of the list because I'm not exactly sure if it's easy, difficult, or average,
and also because I think that it would be better if I waited a little after having finished 'level 3' before I start the
last level.

edit: wrote 'dernière' instead of 'dernier'

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 14 June 2014 at 2:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful



Jeffers
Senior Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3218 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

 
 Message 123 of 451
14 June 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I asked the wrong question, actually, LOL! I meant to ask about FIA, not FSI. I agree that it's probably best to do the course in stages, with a break in between.

By the way, I notice on Twitter that and I have both started Un village Français. How are you liking it? I saw a couple episodes before, but I don't even know what series they were from. It's nice to be able to start from the beginning. In fact, I'll go off and watch another one now!
1 person has voted this message useful



PeterMollenburg
Senior Member
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3785 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

 
 Message 124 of 451
14 June 2014 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I asked the wrong question, actually, LOL! I meant to ask about FIA, not FSI. I agree that
it's probably best to do the course in stages, with a break in between.

By the way, I notice on Twitter that and I have both started Un village Français. How are you liking it? I saw
a couple episodes before, but I don't even know what series they were from. It's nice to be able to start from
the beginning. In fact, I'll go off and watch another one now!


Well I put FIA last for a few reasons. It's a massive course when using all components thoroughly and
completely, so I felt like doing it last as a grand finale, the documents provided as extra reading are quite
advanced some of them, and I'd like to get more out of them, thus after having done all the other courses
they're less likely to pose any issues for me, and since the course is entirely in French (no other course that I
have is as ' French ' as this course, I figured that would be a good course to use last and finally do away with
the crutch of English- I'm really noticing now how much of a hinderance English is. Although using flashcards
is great for really solidifying new vocab to memory I'm finding they slow me down a lot doing th translations
and i'm finding that I still want to often enough translate in my head, by they time I get to FIA I expect to be
doing away with this and perhaps ditching the flashcards altogether. FIA doesn't use English for the reason
that French doesn't translate well directly into English, so by the time I get there, it's time to do away with
English once and for all! hahahaha (evil laugh)

Edit:
I forgot about un village français...

I've watched 2 episodes and I'm liking what I see- I prefer the WWII theme in France to crime/police drama if
Engrenages, so I think this show is likely to keep my interest more so than Engrenages, which I'm finding I
have to sometimes 'push myself' to watch an episode even when my wife suggests it. Still I do enjoy
Engrenages but I do think this series if Un village français will be 'better', I am finding the subtitles can be
very fast and not linger for long enough at times

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 14 June 2014 at 11:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful



Jeffers
Senior Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3218 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

 
 Message 125 of 451
15 June 2014 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Well that all makes sense about FIA. But it was designed as a first year course, so after doing FSI, you might find the very simple audio exercises maddeningly simple. I have a feeling that you actually will muscle your way through it since you're such a tenacious student.

I've been wanting to use FIA since I bought the DVDs. I have watched all of the videos; let's call that a passive wave. But on Monday, I'm going to start listening to the audio with my son on the 10 minute drive to school (we listened to Michel Thomas foundation that way).
1 person has voted this message useful



PeterMollenburg
Senior Member
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3785 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

 
 Message 126 of 451
15 June 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Well that all makes sense about FIA. But it was designed as a first year course, so after
doing FSI, you might find the very simple audio exercises maddeningly simple. I have a feeling that you
actually will muscle your way through it since you're such a tenacious student.

I've been wanting to use FIA since I bought the DVDs. I have watched all of the videos; let's call that a
passive wave. But on Monday, I'm going to start listening to the audio with my son on the 10 minute drive to
school (we listened to Michel Thomas foundation that way).


Yeah I'm a bit stubborn when it comes to completing courses... The exercises will be simple but the
documents not so. I could do the course in two run-throughs- a beginning/intermediate course, the later a
more thorough analytical advanced focus... My plans are always changing, so who knows what I'll actually do
in the end.

I hope you and your son enjoy FIA and get plenty out of it. Do you have the textbooks, workbooks and study
guides and plan to use them?

Also what are your thoughts on Un village français?
1 person has voted this message useful



Jeffers
Senior Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3218 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

 
 Message 127 of 451
15 June 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
I have the DVDs and the textbook for real, and I have shady copies of the rest. I actually have no intention to do the extra reading documents, since I do enough reading anyway. But I think we will do the workbook exercises. What components do you have?

I am really enjoying Un village Français. I like history, and it gives a nice snapshot of the French psyche. For another, when I was in France 2 years ago, we spent most of our time in the Jura department, not far from Besançon. The fictional village in the show is in Jura, about 100km from Besançon, so I feel like I've been there. I like that sort of connection.
1 person has voted this message useful



PeterMollenburg
Senior Member
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3785 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

 
 Message 128 of 451
15 June 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I have the DVDs and the textbook for real, and I have shady copies of the rest. I actually
have no intention to do the extra reading documents, since I do enough reading anyway. But I think we will
do the workbook exercises. What components do you have?

I am really enjoying Un village Français. I like history, and it gives a nice snapshot of the French psyche. For
another, when I was in France 2 years ago, we spent most of our time in the Jura department, not far from
Besançon. The fictional village in the show is in Jura, about 100km from Besançon, so I feel like I've been
there. I like that sort of connection.


For FIA I have all the components - workbooks, textbooks, study guides, CDs and DVDs along with some
extras like the FIA reunion videos which were done a few years or so ago (can be found online) of course this
is merely a curiosity thing not a study component. I'll utilised the full course. I have completed up to lesson 26
many many many years ago, so it will be a nice feeling to complete the whole thing one day, kind of symbolic
of really finally after all these years getting to where I want to be (the end of FIA and the end of a whole lot
more French that will place me in a very sturdy position with the language I hope).....

My wife and I didn't get to explore the Jura region much at all (practically drove through it in a day) which
really disappointed me as the PACA region was the region I was most excited about exploring (along with
Corsica and Britany), but things happened and our trip was cut short... so it's on the to do list. Yeah it's
ironically a pleasant show despite the nasty theme of war, since it is beautifully shot and portrayed it seems.


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 451 messages over 57 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.3125 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2020 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.