Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 129 of 451
16 June 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

I made a list of my French courses the other day... it's kind of scary ....

The DAUNTING LIST!!!

Tellement impressionnant!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3767 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 130 of 451
16 June 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg

Thanks so much for the recommendation of Flashcards Deluxe! I mainly use an iPad, and didn't want to shell
out $25 for the Anki app not knowing to what extent I would use it or like, but I really needed a Flashcard App
to improve my memorization of vocabulary, etc. It works great!   Found many great French Decks already
built as well as transferring my paper vocabulary lists to load into Flashcards. Deluxe.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 131 of 451
17 June 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

The DAUNTING LIST!!!

I don't know... I think you need to add some more materials and activities to round out your French learning. :P

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 132 of 451
17 June 2014 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
The DAUNTING LIST!!!

I don't know... I think you need to add some more materials and activities to round out your French learning. :P

I'm sure Peter has a few things he hasn't told us about yet :)

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 133 of 451
17 June 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
PeterMollenburg

Thanks so much for the recommendation of Flashcards Deluxe! I mainly use an iPad, and didn't want to shell
out $25 for the Anki app not knowing to what extent I would use it or like, but I really needed a Flashcard App
to improve my memorization of vocabulary, etc. It works great!   Found many great French Decks already
built as well as transferring my paper vocabulary lists to load into Flashcards. Deluxe.

Hey Mohave,

No problemo, you're most velkom (see, there's the proof, I speak Spanish and German as well). Yes it's a
very versatile app and it's served me well too. I can't say I've ever downloaded other decks, I tend to just
create my own, so it's good to hear that side of the app also functions well. Not sure if I have mentioned this
before but you can duplicate your decks and have them function the other way. ie if you have a deck that
shows L1 on side one and L2 on side two, you can duplicate it and have it show you L2 first. To do so create
a combination deck, include the deck you want to duplicate, then in the options for that deck select show side
2 first. Even if you add new cards to your original deck your duplicate deck will add the new cards
automatically since it's just a copy of the first deck.

Anyway, hope you're going well with your studies Mohave,
PM
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 134 of 451
17 June 2014 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

The DAUNTING LIST!!!

I don't know... I think you need to add some more materials and activities to round out your French learning.
:P

I suspect i'm detecting a little sarcasm... I have plenty to keep me occupied, plenty of all kinds of activities,
reading, watching, flinging bird shit, throwing stones at my neighbours, you name it I've got it. The real thing
i'm lacking, and it's a big lack and certainly is 'real' - is speaking practise- but just ask Ned Flanders
indeedidlydoo I've got a plan for that one too. ok ok so i'm losing brain cells from staring at too many French
books! Never! never! Never enough French! Never enough! I need more, i need more!

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 135 of 451
17 June 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
kujichagulia wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
The DAUNTING LIST!!!

I don't know... I think you need to add some more materials and activities to round out
your French learning. :P

Very true, Peter's a true slacker. This gives me an idea for a fun game. Who can list
the most French resources that they actually own that Peter doesn't have?
Here's my list (I'm not at home, so I might expand this a bit when I return):

-In-Tense French (an all audio, 4 cassette verb program. Very good but out of print.
I got mine used).
-Michel Thomas Total French (= foundation + half of the vocab course)
-French Grammar in Context (looks good for intermediate)
-Barron's French Grammar (pretty rubbish, but I've read it through)
-Talk French Grammar (from BBC, I'm about 1/4 through it)
-Living French: A Grammar-based Course (not to be confused with the Living Language
series. I doubt I'll finish this one.)
-La Prononciation Francaise Pour De Vrai (DVD, I will start this one soon.)
-Instant Immersion French (an all-audio course, a bit more didactic than Pimsleur, and
very good. Takes the middle road between Pimsleur and FSI? It's also out of print but
I got a set of 16 CDs for only £15, so good value).
-Vocabulearn levels 1-3 (5000 words/phrases? Got used for £10).
-Speak French with Confidence (TY course on 3 CDs, pretty good for touristy practice.
I used it a lot just before my French visit and it helped a lot).
-Get Talking French in 10 Days (a remake of the above course, but expanded and
improved, which is rare for a TY repackaging).
-Vocabulearn Word Boosters French (a bit like vocabulearn, but shorter and designed for
teens. Actually might be more useful than vocabulearn for this reason. It can be
listened to several times).
-Practice Makes Perfect Basic French
-Routledge Frequency Dictionary of French (I wouldn't list dictionaries, but since I am
working through this one systematically, it counts).
-Fast French with Elisabeth Smith
-2000+ Essential French Verbs
-Les Portes Tordues/The Twisted Doors: The Scariest Way in the World to Learn French!
-Earworms French 1 & 2 (very good for practice in your first year or so. Good for the
phrasebook/touristy stuff).

I count 18 courses. That doesn't include a dozen or so readers and some other
reference material.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 136 of 451
18 June 2014 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
luke wrote:
kujichagulia wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
The DAUNTING
LIST!!!

I don't know... I think you need to add some more materials and activities to round out
your French learning. :P

Very true, Peter's a true slacker. This gives me an idea for a fun game. Who can list
the most French resources that they actually own that Peter doesn't have?
Here's my list (I'm not at home, so I might expand this a bit when I return):

-In-Tense French (an all audio, 4 cassette verb program. Very good but out of print.
I got mine used).

Never heard of this one and searching it brought up little. Sounds interesting and useful tho.

Jeffers wrote:

-Michel Thomas Total French (= foundation + half of the vocab course)

This one I have. Last year mainly (may have done some earlier this year) I completed Michel Thomas Total
French, Michel Thomas Perfect French and Michel Thomas Masterclass French (including all bonus vocab
CDs) Great courses really gets you feeling comfortable with a lot of verb tenses and handy phrases pretty
quickly. It's the kind of course that can make an upper beginner feel like; "Wow I'm really speaking French
and doing ok!"

Jeffers wrote:

-French Grammar in Context (looks good for intermediate)

Looks interesting and useful, some decent reviews on amazon, another one I've not heard of

Jeffers wrote:

-Barron's French Grammar (pretty rubbish, but I've read it through)

Prob not worth me looking at this considering I have enough grammar to turn me into a French language
textbook, again not heard of the actual title, but i am familiar with Barron's books in general for French
language learning purposes

Jeffers wrote:

-Talk French Grammar (from BBC, I'm about 1/4 through it)

Nope, don't know this one either. Appears to be a fairly good resource on French grammar, perhaps not
comprehensive but good enough that it's pretty user-friendly based on the reviews

Jeffers wrote:

-Living French: A Grammar-based Course (not to be confused with the Living Language
series. I doubt I'll finish this one.)

Yet another course I'm not familiar with. Very good reviews on this one. How would you rate it Jeffers?

Jeffers wrote:

-La Prononciation Francaise Pour De Vrai (DVD, I will start this one soon.)

You have such an array of obscure courses. This one is the only one so far i'd seriously considering
purchasing. However given the huge list of courses I already have, i'd only purchase it with more feedback,
so I'm really curious Jeffers, after you get a little way into it would you mind giving me/the forum some
feedback on it? (Perhaps in your learning blog). Added to my wishlist on amazon.com nontheless....

Jeffers wrote:

-Instant Immersion French (an all-audio course, a bit more didactic than Pimsleur, and
very good. Takes the middle road between Pimsleur and FSI? It's also out of print but
I got a set of 16 CDs for only £15, so good value).

So many different versions of this one. I'd never heard of it either, what's the dealio with this one? Which
version do you have and what kinds of things are cover at what level?

Jeffers wrote:

-Vocabulearn levels 1-3 (5000 words/phrases? Got used for £10).

I have this in Dutch (2 levels only were made in Dutch). It's very dry but been great at building familiarity with
common words and phrases in Dutch. I did want to get the French complete VocabuLearn but couldn't find it
anywhere for a good price. I decided in the end with my frequency dictionary and all my courses in
combination it would prob be a waste of money for me anyway. At this point, it wouldn't be a smart
investment for me.

Jeffers wrote:

-Speak French with Confidence (TY course on 3 CDs, pretty good for touristy practice.
I used it a lot just before my French visit and it helped a lot).

I really liked the TY courses I used in Dutch - TY Beginner's Dutch and TY Dutch, oh and TY Dutch grammar
is excellent, and I have some audio only TY Dutch Conversation which isn't much- just a few CDs... I'm not
so sure TY are that great in French as I have read some bad reviews one particular course I was considering
getting a while back. Mind you I now own three levels of TY interatctive epub ebook courses that have
embedded audio. I'm sure these are just their other courses renamed.

Jeffers wrote:

-Get Talking French in 10 Days (a remake of the above course, but expanded and
improved, which is rare for a TY repackaging).

Cool, not much to say on that one

Jeffers wrote:

-Vocabulearn Word Boosters French (a bit like vocabulearn, but shorter and designed for
teens. Actually might be more useful than vocabulearn for this reason. It can be
listened to several times).

As you've suggested prob good for certain purposes or age groups, but doesn't interest me so much, since
there's not enough covered for my liking.

Jeffers wrote:

-Practice Makes Perfect Basic French

Never heard of this either. Looks like quite a good series - the one of pronouns and prepositions and the
French subjunctive close up could be particularly worthwhile IMO. Oops I kind of just added 5 of the books to
my wishlist. Dammit Jeffers you're enticing me into getting more courses... It's all your fault! Now that I look at
it I already have the Practice Makes Perfect Advanced French Grammar in my Kindle app on iphone. That's
how many courses I have! I don't even know what I've got!

Jeffers wrote:

-Routledge Frequency Dictionary of French (I wouldn't list dictionaries, but since I am
working through this one systematically, it counts).

This is the same one I have. 5,000 words right? By Deryle Lonsdale and Yvon Le Bras? This gets me back to
thinking about VocabuLearn which I think with this frequency dictionary almost becomes obsolete- and I have
another kindle ebook called French vocabularly lists which has quite a few things listed in a similar but less
effective manner than VocabuLearn or this Freq. Dict.

Jeffers wrote:

-Fast French with Elisabeth Smith

Any good? (again I am not familiar with it)

Jeffers wrote:

-2000+ Essential French Verbs

I looked this up on amazon too and it looks useful-ish... again it's all new to me

Jeffers wrote:

-Les Portes Tordues/The Twisted Doors: The Scariest Way in the World to Learn French!

An interesting learning method. I wanted to buy this a several occasions over the years but never got around
to it. Actually now reading the least favorable review on amazon I'm not sure i'd like it, but it averages 4.5
stars so it must appeal to most ppl.

Jeffers wrote:

-Earworms French 1 & 2 (very good for practice in your first year or so. Good for the
phrasebook/touristy stuff).

Ok, so prob not for me

Jeffers wrote:

I count 18 courses. That doesn't include a dozen or so readers and some other
reference material.

I have quite a few readers myself... I kind of went on a rediculous spending spree recently on amazon buying
a massive amount of easy French readers that seemed pretty reasonably priced (add them up tho and... )
and some bilingual texts as well. I have SO many books on my kindle app and ibooks app it's insane. I need
to plough on through this stuff, i'm going to be here for years. Hence why I really absolutely only need to buy
courses/textbooks that are absolutely worthwhile at this stage. The Practice Makes Perfect and La
Prononciation française pour de vrai seem to be the possible challengers to my not buy any more courses
statements.

Btw I decided to alter my list with regards to FIA. I now have FIA part 1 at the end of my beginners courses
list and part 2 and the end of intermediate course list. At the end of the Advanced level I've placed FIA (both
parts) again to do a re-run and utilise the 3rd edition. Yes I own both the 2nd and 3rd editions. There are
changes to the documents with more modern themes such as internet and mobile phones spoken about in
the 3rd edition documents apparently. It will make for some new material as well as a good review. Will I ever
make it through all these tho? Only time will tell! (or common sense?)

This discussion contains 451 messages over 57 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version