Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4694 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 153 of 451
01 July 2014 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Ah, you didn't mention TY Perfect your French before. It has great reviews, and I was thinking of getting it after I finished Assimil NFWE. But since I have Hugo basic and advanced, that will cover that need for the time being.

I laughed a little when I saw La prononciation française pour de vrai. I will be careful not to mention any more courses in your presence.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4124 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 154 of 451
01 July 2014 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Wait... You've completed ALL of those courses? You have an inhuman fortitude, haha. I'm actually really impressed. Also ashamed that I don't take my studies as seriously.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5261 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 155 of 451
01 July 2014 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Ah, you didn't mention TY Perfect your French before. It has great
reviews, and I was thinking of getting it after I finished Assimil NFWE.

It almost is rediculous how many courses I have. It makes look greedy or insane. Anyway
I didn't even know there were decent reviews of TY Perfect Your French... I just bought
it in a frenzy of buying. If I get to it before you (unlikely) I'll let you know what I
think of it!

Jeffers wrote:

I laughed a little when I saw La prononciation française pour de vrai. I will be
careful not to mention any more courses in your presence.

Yeah I couldn't help myself!

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5261 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 156 of 451
01 July 2014 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Sizen wrote:
Wait... You've completed ALL of those courses? You have an inhuman
fortitude, haha. I'm actually really impressed. Also ashamed that I don't take my
studies as seriously.

I've only completed the courses above the asterix which designate which courses I'm
currently working through....

I'm pretty serious about my study as I spent too many years messing about thinking
about studying, collecting courses, or when actually knuckling down unfortunately not
studying consistently or over a long enough duration (not within one day, but over
months or years) in one language before swapping to another and starting all over
again. Hence my log title 'anti-procrastination log'. I know how much I love languages
(like many I find them absolutely fascinating) so I know it's not a fleeting 'oh it
would be nice to be able to get by in French'... it's more than that, so.... now I'm
determined to not make the same mistakes. What adds to my determination is when I think
about when I actually first aimed to learn languages to fluency back in 1998, and I
still haven't reached that target due to the above mistakes.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5261 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 157 of 451
03 July 2014 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I have often thought about making some comments on what I'm about to talk about, and I haven't yet, so here
goes.... It is rather self involved, but hey this is my blog and I'd like to given a bit more information on my
character.

Three interesting topics that I feel definitely impact on one's ability to learn (or be high functioning at anything
really): Exercise, Sleep, Diet = together = vitality (immune strength)

Okay so I know these could be contained in a whole thread on their own, but I just want to give a little
background on my own situation here.

Exercise
Years ago I was obsessed with sport with my father having been, and still remains highly competitive to the
point he represented Australia on a number of occasions. I was exercising a LOT every day from about 10
years old to about 25yrs old. I think it's put me in good stead for my mid-life now as I'm still fit and healthy in
appearance. Over the years I"ve decreased my exercise as I became busier and more interested in
intellectual pusuits, namely languages. Had I been more consistent with exercise I may have had better
results, so not only have I been inconsistent with language study but also with sporting goals, although I was
consistent most of the time. This has been a valuable lesson for me in life, in many aspects of it (remaining
consistent). So in my shift towards more intellectual pursuits... well I'm still extremely far from being a person
familiar with great writings in literature by any means.... Anyway my exercise régime lately has been made of
about one decent length ride on my bike a week, often over near a thousand meters climbing or more, so not
a stroll in the park. I can't speak highly enough for exercising giving clarity of mind and i'm struggling to re-
introduce it to balance my life. For now language comes first, later in the year i will attempt to reintroduce
regular exercise without it impacting upon my language studies.

Sleep
I have always been the kind of person that's needed 8hrs sleep or more it seems. In my 20s I often slept 9
hrs or even 10 at a time and felt sleep was so important and absolutely hated any tiny aspect of tiredness.
Therefore I'd always sleep long. Not extreme, but long, every night. Then late 20s early 30s I started to ignore
my body a lot as many of us do becoming busier with worklife, being distracted by entertainment (ie
TV/computer) and consistently going to sleep later than I should and then often paying the price for it being
dog-tired the next day. I'd promise to go to be early the next night and yet i'd do the same. I still do this
sometimes nowadays. In my realisation a year or so ago that I needed a LOT of study time to get through
what I wanted to get through (ie learn a lot of languages) as a result of wasting years not studying or not
studying consistently. Stupid idea really but I was careful- i thought i'd read if i could just sleep less, not
actually necessarily do it. So about a year ago I read about some very extreme sleep experiments that
supposed famous minds such as Leonardo DaVinci had implemented into their lives. I can't remember the
title of it (sorry) but I think it went something like every 4 hours on the dot you MUST sleep 15 minutes
(could've been 20, can't recall), and you could NOT break the pattern or your body would suffer. I read a blog
of a guy that tried it while at university. He hit his stride after a couple of months and was awake for a lot more
of the day, he did get a lot of work done, but only because he was awake for so long, he felt his clarity was
probably worse. All in all I didn't want to do this was my conclusion, nor could I realistically carry it out either. I
read further on reducing sleep. Some research said it was doable, other research said don't be stupid. I
decided it wasn't for me...

Diet
This is something I have found profoundly interesting. Perhaps as a result of my own vanity, not liking ANY
signs of ageing when I first reached my 20s, I began to explore what causes skin to form lines as I found it
difficult to just 'accept' ageing as normal. Nowadays I feel the same way- ageing is very largely
environmental- the environment being your body- if you don't treat that environment well it will show. Gong
back again... I read extensively finding out that sugar is VERY destructive to proteins in the body, one of
which is collagen which helps keep skin youthful. My research went further, I read about acid/alkaline
balance, the proven links of sugar to cancer and sooooo many other diseases it's rediculous, food additives
etc, genetically modified organisms, organic foods, raw foods, super foods, vegatarianism, paleo, and many
cutting so called cutting edge products, etc etc

Being a perfectionist I sought to eradicate all the rubbish out of my diet. However this brought about crazy
extremes in my diet. Being someone who has often eaten sweets and high carb loaded meals without issue
since I'd kayak, run, play basketball or do weights every day I found trying to cut those things out went
against my basic understanding of energy and diet, but the more I read the more it made sense- I just
couldn't get it to run optimally for my energy requirements. Thus I binged on sugar-swamped foods to the
point i my stomach wouldn't possibly fit any more in, then I go days of eating much healthier, juice fasts,
celery and cucumber galore, brown rice, and them bam! I'd be back on the sugar train. This lasted years in
various forms.

Recently I've been fortunate enough in my opinion to become more and more interested in what most people
don't know about the human world- some might call this conspiracy theories. I turned against sugar once and
for all, against any form of processed carbs, against fluoride and pharmaceutical medications, GM foods,
many carefully marketed 'healthy' products, against anything that burdens the immune system including most
modern medicine practices and the mainstream media. Now I eat predominantly low carb vegetables, eat a
high fat diet (not processed rubbish), with a good mix of protein, use food grade hydrogen peroxide,
liposomal vitamin C, colloidal silver and bicarb all as common remedies or continual immune boosters. This
means I can sleep 6 hours a night often and not feel the drowsy effects I used to. I know I'm tired but it barely
effects me, I know I should sleep more but I get distracted. My point here is that I'm extremely healthy and
have very strong clarity of mind when it comes to studying, I can sleep less but don't necessarily advocate it
or aim to (i get distracted). Now when I rise at 6am every morning (keeping my circadian rhythm intact) it's not
an issue anymore even when I'd ignored my body's tiredness for more than a couple of hrs the night before.

These three key elements are giving me more energy. More energy means more study time.

I am considering trialling in a few months after i reintroduce regular exercise gettng up at 5am. I feel it will
work, provided I take advantage of earlier nights when I can (days off).

Just sharing, feel free to write back if you please with your experience or comments

PM.

3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5261 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 158 of 451
07 July 2014 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

Thanks! I am being hit by a bit of wanderlust, and to be perfectly honest you bear part of the blame. After
discussing
German resources on your log, I've been thinking about getting back to German. But don't worry, I have a
plan!

Hmmm the topic of wanderlust seems to me making its way through HTLAL, as per usual. While you're
planning a return to German Jeffers I'm once again really tempted to return to Spanish. If I do I won't be doing
any extra hours of study. Instead, I will be taking away from my Dutch studies on an every 2nd day basis. ie a
couple hours French plus 1hr Dutch one day, a couple of hours French + 1hr Spanish the next... not really
committing myself to it, but it's certainly doing the rounds up there in my skull of late :) Damn skull!

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5176 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 159 of 451
07 July 2014 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I have often thought about making some comments on what I'm
about to talk about, and I haven't yet, so here
goes.... It is rather self involved, but hey this is my blog and I'd like to given a
bit more information on my
character.

Three interesting topics that I feel definitely impact on one's ability to learn (or be
high functioning at anything
really): Exercise, Sleep, Diet = together = vitality (immune strength)

I've been trying to focus on my overall wellness also. I have a tendency to drop the
basics in favor of staying up late, cramming, etc which is backwards. It really goes
back to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs - you need a foundation of physiological wellness
and security in order to support higher brain functions.

I don't always respect my sleep schedule but I've been getting better. It's tough for
me to shed the sluggish feeling on weekends, though. I suppose I should probably just
get out of bed and go to cafes/libraries first thing so I don't laze about.

I was doing low carb high fat for a while and felt pretty good about it. But what got
me were the cravings (which would only get worse if I tried one of the fake low carb
desserts). When my work schedule changed I fell out of the habit of preparing my meals
and I fell off. I'd like to get back on, though. Going back to sugar and carbs it
becomes apparent how sluggish they make me feel.

I've always been an indoor person with sedentary interests, I've never been athletic
and P.E. experiences turned me off exercise. Not to mention, being ginger, I hated
going outside in the summer and getting horribly sunburnt. I definitely need to get in
the habit of getting more activity (beyond walking during my commutes). I sometimes
feel resentful towards activity and other personal maintenance chores crowding my
studying/exposure time but I've been around the block a few times now and realize if I
don't keep it up my studying just ends up suffering.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5261 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 160 of 451
09 July 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:

I've been trying to focus on my overall wellness also. I have a tendency to drop the
basics in favor of staying up late, cramming, etc which is backwards. It really goes
back to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs - you need a foundation of physiological wellness
and security in order to support higher brain functions.

Yes indeed, it certainly makes sense.

sctroyenne wrote:

I don't always respect my sleep schedule but I've been getting better. It's tough for
me to shed the sluggish feeling on weekends, though. I suppose I should probably just
get out of bed and go to cafes/libraries first thing so I don't laze about.

If I get in a cycle of bad habits I find sometimes changing one slight thing each day eventually leads back to a
large improvement overall. You could try getting up slightly earlier or eating a little healthier each day. Pick
one small thing a week even until you get 'control' back. To me it seems in the end it comes back to
discipline. If you go through phases like me in which you seriously lack self control it means you need to work
on your discipline and get back to directing your own life instead of being ruled by your senses which usually
are enticed only by fleeting moments of pleasure that ultimately don't usually help lead to overall success.

sctroyenne wrote:

I was doing low carb high fat for a while and felt pretty good about it. But what got
me were the cravings (which would only get worse if I tried one of the fake low carb
desserts). When my work schedule changed I fell out of the habit of preparing my meals
and I fell off. I'd like to get back on, though. Going back to sugar and carbs it
becomes apparent how sluggish they make me feel.

Yesterday I had my first taste of sugar in a loooong time. A simple hot chocolate at a café. Later in the day i
was craving chocolate. I think if you do a high fat/protein/low carb diet, it's got to be done very well. I think
trying to go for low carb desserts is likely to trigger that taste for something sweet. Cutting something out
completely and accepting that it's not going to be substituted and it's not going to come back is one way to
look at it. Sugar does nothing for our wellbeing and nothing for our health. To get rid of it is a big long term
bonus. To eat it here and there in the moment is great tasting in the moment but seriously undermines our
long term health if we continue to do so as an every day pattern. It's a shame most ppl don't have the time,
patience or drive to want to understand such things more. To think corporations that manufacture food have
our best interest's at heart when even developing low sugar or no sugar foods would be completely wrong.
Money motivates and it motivates to the point that human health is ignored. I know you are probably well
aware of this, but the sooner you take control of your health the better. Even some small improvements today
will make for a better you 10 years down the track- a better you more capable of doing the things you enjoy in
life. edit: Anyway I find the best solution to stopping sugar cravings is either cheese (strictly not ideal either,
and yeah it is another substitute, but it's not sweet) or even better just eat more high quality fat. Easier said
than done I know, we are all different and react differently to different foods, but go long enough on a
healthier diet and you'll begin to become acutely aware of how foods make you feel, and you're likely not to
want sugar so much anymore if you go long enough to develop a healthy lifestyle habit.

sctroyenne wrote:

I've always been an indoor person with sedentary interests, I've never been athletic
and P.E. experiences turned me off exercise. Not to mention, being ginger, I hated
going outside in the summer and getting horribly sunburnt. I definitely need to get in
the habit of getting more activity (beyond walking during my commutes). I sometimes
feel resentful towards activity and other personal maintenance chores crowding my
studying/exposure time but I've been around the block a few times now and realize if I
don't keep it up my studying just ends up suffering.

Well I can understand this. We are all different, and even myself a person who does really like to exercise is
finding it difficult to find the time when I don't even work as long hours as most people do, because I want to
get somewhere with my language study! Which means I need hours every day to commit to learning. I think if
you're inclined to avoid physical activity then it's even more important to eat healthier so you don't hit your
body with a double negative - bad food + sedentary lifestyle.

Thanks for sharing sctroyenne

PM

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 09 July 2014 at 1:05am

This discussion contains 451 messages over 57 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version