United States
Joined 6955 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 233 of 451
03 December 2014 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
PM wrote:
ok, 2nd try... I just spent half an hour adding up figures and typing away only to lose it! Dammit!

I hate it too. If I'm going to do a super long post, I sometimes save it and edit it. Damn laptops with their clicky stuff in the wrong spot. It's probably God telling me to to spare the pen.

I don't know if you guys are tongue-in-cheeking it with the discussion around "misunderestimate". The proper word is simply "underestimate", unless you believe the individual who made that word famous was deliberately trying to deceive the populace by underestimating the enormity of the task he drew a nation into, and that "mis" was actually the proper prefix because it was spoken by devil's spawn himself and therefore is de facto a neologism of our time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4659 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 234 of 451
03 December 2014 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I don't know if you guys are tongue-in-cheeking it with the discussion around "misunderestimate".

Yes, it was a weak attempt at satire. But if it was a word, surely the French equivalent would be "mal sous estimé".
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 235 of 451
11 December 2014 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
So yet another change to my study régime...

In view of the fact that I have 20 million courses to attempt to get through and
couple that with the fact I'm a bit of an idiot... well... I've decided to dedicate my
target of 3 hours of French study a day to only courses and Flashcards. 15min per hr
of FC's, 45min per hour of course study. This way I can work on 3 courses
simultaneously. I have too many of them, and i'm a fool and want to get through them,
so I must make a concerted effort to move forward with them.

That means I need to make more of an effort outside of my 'desk study hours' to use
native materials as I now know how valuble they are. If searching the net, if reading,
if watching TV I must make even more of an effort to do so in French. I'm finding that
I'm pretty much at that point anyway as most of my net activity is done in French
unless I have to find info for others for example who don't speak French (which does
happen quite a bit with my emailing links etc to ppl requiring specific information
and so on). Although my TV watching could be done more in French.

So, that's me, yet again another change to my study régime. I'm currently a tad under
3 hrs per day in December, so not exactly where I want to be but not too bad either.

This latter 3rd of the year i've kind of lost the plot a little in terms of my goals
set and haven't remained as consistent as I'd like to be. So reading a few threads on
certificates/qualifications etc has helped me remember where I'm aiming to go with
French and thus I need to get down to business and soldier on before I drop the ball,
or at least continue fumbling with it wondering which goal to shoot at.

FRY a CrAb, WoRDz

Edit: PS I'm really only 2 and a half years old. Thought you should all know that,
very important

2nd super important edit:

Current 'desk study courses':
1 French in Action - Leçon 8
2 Assimil NFWE
(reviewing lesson 70 on the way to Lesson 84 where I've not gone beyond yet)
3. Fluenz French 3

Considering I have used FIA years ago up to leçon 26, am reviewing with Assimil NFWE,
and well Fluenz French isn't all that hard, i'm not really covering a lot of new
ground, so I need to push on and beyond these barriers causing some current
stagnation.

Current audio in car:

1. Rocket French Premium Plus
Currently working my way through the bonus tracks that play like vocabularly lessons
before finishing off this very useful level of the Rocket French audio series. It's
been much tougher than Pimsleur- même Pimsleur French IV!

2. Pimsleur French IV
Like Mohave has said this is a great program for automaticity, but not a huge amount
of new vocab really. Still, very worthwhile.

Despite my 800hrs plus of French study this year I think as I've pointed out before
it's safe to say i'm not overly 'advanced'. I think i'm very very good at the level I
am hovering on (somewhere between b1 and b2). I think I have a nice size vocab -
whatever nice means - excellent pronunciation and decent understanding of grammar.
However it's not been quick in getting me to those higher realms of French language
proficiency (meaning B2 through to C2). Maybe i'd pass a b2 exam, but fact is if I
hover around using intermediate less than advanced materials it's going to show in my
language ability production. Thus I need be content with this if i'm going to work
through all materials. Hopefully as Jeffers pointed out it does mean that I'll have
some depth to my French in being so thorough. Importantly I need to keep up my native
material use to keep my exposure to broader more advanced language up.

I'm really hoping another solid year of course use will see me fly through the
majority of them in 2015, fingers crossed. Perhaps i'll be reassessing my methods
sooner than I think, or perhaps all will go as planned, waffle waffle dribble dribble.

Ich möchte bitte ein Einzelzimmer mit Douche... Ja guten Tag! Guten Tag I say!

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 11 December 2014 at 1:20am

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3757 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 236 of 451
11 December 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
All Hail to Prime Minister PM! Your consistency in studying three hours a day and 800+ hours this year is
truly impressive! I think regardless of which study plan you are using, you are going to succeed! You've
worked so hard to get to this point, make sure you enjoy these great skills you have now!

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 237 of 451
12 December 2014 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
All Hail to Prime Minister PM! Your consistency in studying three hours a day and 800+
hours this year is
truly impressive! I think regardless of which study plan you are using, you are going to succeed! You've
worked so hard to get to this point, make sure you enjoy these great skills you have now!

Merci Mohave...

Oui, c'est vrai ce que tu m'as dit, j'ai fait beaucoup de travail cette année et j'améliorerai mon niveau de
français avec n'importe qulle méthode si je travaille si dur. Mais je crois que je pourrais améliorer mes
méthodes un peu quand même.. et je le ferai ! Et quand je finirai utiliser tous ces cours, je pourrai habiter
entièrement dans un monde francophone ! Et aussitôt que je serai là, je commenerai à étudier l'espagnol et
rêverai à un monde espagnol !

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4659 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 238 of 451
12 December 2014 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Et quand je finirai utiliser tous ces cours, je pourrai habiter entièrement dans un monde francophone !

An autre monde

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 239 of 451
12 December 2014 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Et quand je finirai utiliser tous ces cours, je pourrai habiter
entièrement dans un monde francophone !

An autre monde

Est-ce possible que ces musiciens ont créé cette chanson pour moi ?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4659 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 240 of 451
12 December 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Et quand je finirai utiliser tous ces cours, je pourrai habiter
entièrement dans un monde francophone !

An autre monde

Est-ce possible que ces musiciens ont créé cette chanson pour moi ?

Oui, peut-être. Ou plutôt non. Je ne sais pas, j'ai pas fait attention.

Edited by Jeffers on 12 December 2014 at 11:57am

This discussion contains 451 messages over 57 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version