United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3757 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 377 of 451
27 May 2015 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Sounds like you have done a lot of soul-searching on how to balance what is best for your family and your
love of languages, travel and adventure. These decisions are often very difficult. I applaud you for making it.   
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 378 of 451
27 May 2015 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
Sounds like you have done a lot of soul-searching on how to balance
what is best for your family and your
love of languages, travel and adventure. These decisions are often very difficult. I
applaud you for making it.   

Thanks Mohave,

I think in the end this will benefit both my family and my sense of
adventure/languages. I think by being patient now and sensible it will open up a lot
of (French) doors in the future. That's the aim, a good thing all round.

Peace up 'n stuff, for realio, at least that's what I said, and I am me, at least
that's what society tells me
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4957 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 379 of 451
27 May 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Looks like the 6WC or whatever you've been doing has been effective, your French writing certainly seems to be improving! Anyway it's good to hear you've been finding more balance - again it's something I can relate to.

I'd also like to live and work abroad at some point, but it would be for the experience and the language, not my career (IT) - in fact it would most likely be to the detriment of my career! From what I gather, I wouldn't find any better opportunities in French-speaking countries than I have here in the UK, and they'd probably be quite limited until I got my French up to professional standards (although on the other hand, being a native English speaker is a plus). As for Italy, there's a reason so many young people are leaving and coming here. For my career and interests, somewhere like Germany would probably be a better choice.

But of course, career isn't everything. I'm not sure I want to stay in the UK forever, with the stressful lifestyle and political and social issues; I'd probably be happier in a more laid-back culture even if it meant less money and career opportunities. And being in the middle of mainland Europe would be very convenient for travel. Obviously you've also been considering all the factors. I read all these blogs about people who suddenly quit everything and move to the other side of the world, but maybe our patient and sensible approach is more reasonable.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 380 of 451
28 May 2015 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Looks like the 6WC or whatever you've been doing has been effective, your French writing
certainly seems to be improving! Anyway it's good to hear you've been finding more balance - again it's
something I can relate to.

I'd also like to live and work abroad at some point, but it would be for the experience and the language, not
my career (IT) - in fact it would most likely be to the detriment of my career! From what I gather, I wouldn't find
any better opportunities in French-speaking countries than I have here in the UK, and they'd probably be
quite limited until I got my French up to professional standards (although on the other hand, being a native 
English speaker is a plus). As for Italy, there's a reason so many young people are leaving and coming here.
For my career and interests, somewhere like Germany would probably be a better choice.

But of course, career isn't everything. I'm not sure I want to stay in the UK forever, with the stressful lifestyle
and political and social issues; I'd probably be happier in a more laid-back culture even if it meant less money
and career opportunities. And being in the middle of mainland Europe would be very convenient for travel.
Obviously you've also been considering all the factors. I read all these blogs about people who suddenly quit
everything and move to the other side of the world, but maybe our patient and sensible approach is more
reasonable.

Thanks for the kind remarks garyb.

As for 'career' yes I felt I was in the same boat- it wouldn't necessarily advance my career (not that I could
give two hoots at all) in any way but it would only be about the language and cultural experience. I think
more often than not English speaking countries are generally going to be rather strong in career opportunities
since they are the ones behind the steering wheel driving this mad obsessed money orientated world (UK
and US predominantly) blazing a trail that other countries (very sad the EU) are hell bent on following. So
enthusiastic they are that things like Cavesa mentioned Eurovision are now English dominated- as English
opens doors it seems. I've always felt disdain with regards to 'my career'. The very words piss me off. What
rubbish it is that we have to drive ourselves to impress others just in order to 'advance' in this world. The
whole concept stinks. Careers are about enslavement. We are all enslaved to taxes and debt (most of us).
We are human beings, not lawyers, not doctors, not garbage men. Why are we labelled this way? Money was
a perfect invention to drive man to desire materialistic rubbish on the path to enslavement. So far has it gone
that we can barely survive without it. I am not directing my distate of such a topic at you garyb, just a general
rant here. Unfortunately I cannot escape the trap either. I'm very much embedded in this system and even
trying to escape it means I first have to 'join them'.

Another frustration I want to vent is I got into this 'career' (of nursing) with the understanding I could work
anywhere in the world- so they said. What bullshit. Anywhere in the English speaking world, sure, with a few
hoops to jump through. Anywhere else, you'd better think twice as the hoops are much smaller and
numerous. And as per most ppl I've encountered, why would you want to work in a country where they don't
speak English. How brainwashed and narrow minded have people become?

Eat a hat for crying out loud
PM

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4040 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 381 of 451
28 May 2015 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Looks like the 6WC or whatever you've been doing has been effective,
your French writing certainly seems to be improving! Anyway it's good to hear you've
been finding more balance - again it's something I can relate to.

I'd also like to live and work abroad at some point, but it would be for the
experience and the language, not my career (IT) - in fact it would most likely be to
the detriment of my career! From what I gather, I wouldn't find any better
opportunities in French-speaking countries than I have here in the UK, and they'd
probably be quite limited until I got my French up to professional standards (although
on the other hand, being a native English speaker is a plus). As for Italy, there's a
reason so many young people are leaving and coming here. For my career and interests,
somewhere like Germany would probably be a better choice.

But of course, career isn't everything. I'm not sure I want to stay in the UK forever,
with the stressful lifestyle and political and social issues; I'd probably be happier
in a more laid-back culture even if it meant less money and career opportunities. And
being in the middle of mainland Europe would be very convenient for travel. Obviously
you've also been considering all the factors. I read all these blogs about people who
suddenly quit everything and move to the other side of the world, but maybe our
patient and sensible approach is more reasonable.

Maybe you are like me, I really do not prefer to live in either the UK or the USA, but
I am usually stuck in either place. A laid-back culture like Spain, Argentina or Italy
would be a heaven. Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Firenze, is a linguistic paradise. People
also nicer and a culture that wakes up late, works late, eats late, and partys late
and hard.

But if you keep dwelling on this issue, it sound weird but it might motivate you to
move to a better country. I am motivated in my C-level Spanish to get to C2 as fast as
possible, and my Italian to get to however high as possible as fast as possible
because I would like to live in any of those "Romance" countries. The media always
talk about their economies. Yes, Spain have 27% unemployment and my age range of 18-26
years old people the unemployment graces 50%, and Italy have somewhat similar figures
but not as bad. Argentina have had a few problems since their 2001 currency crash, but
I do not find anything worse than in the UK or the USA.

But really, so what, it is hard to find a job in the USA or the UK and the salary is
BS, so I think that the media are just picking on Spain and Italy to push their
agendas. I would not midn moving to Spain, Italy or Argentina if their unemployment
soared to 85% even. But good luck if you plan on moving. Tapas, risotto, and/or
parilla each night is simply too good a life.

Really anywhere like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy,
Argentina are all of my favourite countries whereto that I would like to emigrate. As
I am about 50% poorer economically than in the 1990s from living in Anglophone
countries, I really question how bad Spain and Italy economies are, because I am doing
really badly here in the so-called "richer" countries.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 28 May 2015 at 5:46am

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 382 of 451
28 May 2015 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
garyb wrote:
Looks like the 6WC or whatever you've been doing has
been effective,
your French writing certainly seems to be improving! Anyway it's good to hear you've
been finding more balance - again it's something I can relate to.

I'd also like to live and work abroad at some point, but it would be for the
experience and the language, not my career (IT) - in fact it would most likely be to
the detriment of my career! From what I gather, I wouldn't find any better
opportunities in French-speaking countries than I have here in the UK, and they'd
probably be quite limited until I got my French up to professional standards (although
on the other hand, being a native English speaker is a plus). As for Italy, there's a
reason so many young people are leaving and coming here. For my career and interests,
somewhere like Germany would probably be a better choice.

But of course, career isn't everything. I'm not sure I want to stay in the UK forever,
with the stressful lifestyle and political and social issues; I'd probably be happier
in a more laid-back culture even if it meant less money and career opportunities. And
being in the middle of mainland Europe would be very convenient for travel. Obviously
you've also been considering all the factors. I read all these blogs about people who
suddenly quit everything and move to the other side of the world, but maybe our
patient and sensible approach is more reasonable.

Maybe you are like me, I really do not prefer to live in either the UK or the USA, but
I am usually stuck in either place. A laid-back culture like Spain, Argentina or Italy
would be a heaven. Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Firenze, is a linguistic paradise. People
also nicer and a culture that wakes up late, works late, eats late, and partys late
and hard.

But if you keep dwelling on this issue, it sound weird but it might motivate you to
move to a better country. I am motivated in my C-level Spanish to get to C2 as fast as
possible, and my Italian to get to however high as possible as fast as possible
because I would like to live in any of those "Romance" countries. The media always
talk about their economies. Yes, Spain have 27% unemployment and my age range of 18-26
years old people the unemployment graces 50%, and Italy have somewhat similar figures
but not as bad. Argentina have had a few problems since their 2001 currency crash, but
I do not find anything worse than in the UK or the USA.

But really, so what, it is hard to find a job in the USA or the UK and the salary is
BS, so I think that the media are just picking on Spain and Italy to push their
agendas. I would not midn moving to Spain, Italy or Argentina if their unemployment
soared to 85% even. But good luck if you plan on moving. Tapas, risotto, and/or
parilla each night is simply too good a life.

Really anywhere like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy,
Argentina are all of my favourite countries whereto that I would like to emigrate. As
I am about 50% poorer economically than in the 1990s from living in Anglophone
countries, I really question how bad Spain and Italy economies are, because I am doing
really badly here in the so-called "richer" countries.

Thanks for dropping by 1e4e6,
Perhaps you're directing your comments more at garyb but I thought I'd comment anyway.
In my honest opinion, I absolutely believe there is a deliberate push to bring all
western countries GDP per capita down eventually to equal those of 3rd word countries.
I do not believe for a second that the economic woes in southern European countries in
particular is just cause an effect. Look perhaps there's cause an effect, but i feel
it's been carried out absolutely deliberately. Since doing some research recently on
how money is actually created/printed the central banks of various nations hold their
people captive and enslave them to pay interest on their money created out of thin
air. Since those who control the whole system (Rockefellars, Rothschilds and so on, or
illuminati if you prefer) can make as MUCH money as they damn well please, then money
is NOT the objective. Then what is? In my opinion it's control. As long as the human
race is scraping for a dollar focusing on how to survive in an increasing corporate
controlled world that is turning nature into frankenfood and frankenplanet then we
cannot escape. Or can we?

A perfect example of financial pressure is my country. In Australia we were sitting
pretty, very comfortable during and post GFC. We had one of the cheapest rates of
electricity in the world. Obviously we didn't suffer enough during the GFC. We now the
second most expensive electricity in the world, and set to overtake number one. We
have a lot of our own resources including power producing dirty coal- we export loads
of it to Japan and China. We don't import our power. We have so much sun it's
rediculous- but once again the gov't doesn't care as they are puppets. Why is our
power (water, gas, etc) so expensive now? Because they want us under pressure, under
control and focused on this bullshit. We all just want to be free. I want to spend a
lot of time in a culture I enjoy speaking a language I love. However I realise that if
I keep making 'free-spirited money choices' that have a negative impact on my life
financially in the near future, I'm likely to never escape the bullshit and spend some
decent time in that far off culture. Every week almost I can see the government here
going for more power, more downward pressure on families and pretending like they
care. I can tell you if you're still debating left and right politics you are still
being fooled by the smoke and mirrors that is democracy. Democracy does NOT equal
freedom.

Libya is a perfect example. Any time some foreign leader wants to break the mold and
escape the democratic framework forced on most countries nowadays that enslaves their
people to debt, they are made out in the media to be evil and their country is invaded
shortly afterwards. Hopefuly for the invaders there are plenty of resources for the
taking, all the while the soldiers are too asleep to realise they are guns for hire
from corporate multi-nationals- they are sold a grand story of patriotism and
brotherhood, the grandure of serving one's country. All lies. Control of resources
means selling of more resources under western control to humanity that has been
trained to need them.

I want to put my feet up, enjoy life, interact with ppl in their cultures (which are
also disappearing under corporate pressure), but that day may not come.

PM

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4957 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 383 of 451
28 May 2015 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Interesting comments 1e4e6 and Peter. While career isn't the number 1 priority in my mind, I do seem to have gotten stuck in the careerist lifestyle and it guides and limits my choices. I suppose I've gotten into it because it beats the alternative. Most of my friends are unemployed or do low-level work (so I understand your scepticism about just how good things really are in a "rich" country) and so have limited opportunities to save money, travel, and invest in their interests. My job is quite good as office jobs go - decent salary, stimulating work, relaxed atmosphere - so I appreciate that I'm in an enviable position. But still, it keeps me tied to one location, takes away a lot of my waking hours, only gives me a handful of weeks of holiday per year, and isn't great for my physical and mental health. For now I'm happy enough there, especially as I'm learning skills that would be useful if I were to work for myself in the future, but maybe I'm just staying in my comfort zone too much.

In theory I also have a job that "I can do anywhere" but it's not quite as easy as it sounds. Going freelance would probably just require even more time and energy than the 9-to-5, and I'm already short on time and energy. Still, it could be worth it for the flexibility if I could, say, go away to a target-language-speaking country for a few months while continuing to work. Or finding more short-term employment abroad might also be an option - people have told me I could probably find work doing web development or similar even in Italy or Spain. The conditions and benefits wouldn't be as good as they are here, but like we're saying, maybe it's a worthwhile sacrifice for the lifestyle.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5012 days ago

2237 posts - 6729 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 384 of 451
28 May 2015 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
PM, garyb, How many times have you seen people talk to death learning a language on HTLAL? "Which course should I use? Is TY better than Assimil? How do I learn vocabulary?". You know what the response usually is. Well, people can talk to death moving to another country and sorting out their lives too. I see it all the time here in the Virgin Islands. People come down on holiday, or find out I live in the VI and ask me, "how can I do what you do?". I always say "buy a ticket" or "just make the move". It may sound simplistic but so many folks fail to do that because they want to have everything down pat and arranged first, before making the move. This almost always results in paralysis by analysis. Good, that means there are fewer people moving here!

I've had people go through the list with me- "Is it safe?", "Where's a safe place to live?", "How can I make a living?", etc. , etc. etc. These days I have little patience to answer them. I tell them, "it's as safe as you want it to be, use your wits like you would anywhere else". "You can make a living by doing two simple things here- show up and do what you say you're going to do". Of course, there has to be a need for what you do in the first place, but if there is, that advice will serve you well.

I tell folks, if you do want to live here then come down for an extended period- at least four weeks but don't be on vacation. Don't be a tourist. Try to live like a local. In the VI that means not having air conditioning and not eating out in restaurants all the time. Get a condo with a kitchen and shop for groceries like we do. Better yet, find the local farmers' market. Go to the hardware store, drive around the interior of the island to get a feel for the neighborhoods. Talk to local people. Volunteer locally. Talk to people who do what you do, or what you want to do, for a living. See if it's right for you. See if you like living here as opposed to being on vacation here.

Then if you do all this and you've investigated your opportunities to make a living, just move and start your life. It will be tough at first, no doubt about it. You'll have to have some savings to rely upon at first. If you have made progress after six months, odds are you will continue to do so. If not, analyze your situation. Correct any mistakes and keep trying, or, go back home. It can be done. You can make the move. I did it ten years ago and I don't regret it. Life is short. Pub talk is cheap. I wish I had made the move 20 years ago, but I was paralyzed by analyzing. It wasn't until I "just did it" that it happened.

I have seen single people make the move successfully and whole families too. People's situations don't seem to matter as much as their attitudes. To change your latitude, change your attitude.

If anyone is interested, I can provide a link that can help with attitude, life (and even language learning too) zenhabits.

P.S. PM- I think this may be inspirational for you at this point in your life zenhabits- My Story

Edited by iguanamon on 28 May 2015 at 8:47pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 451 messages over 57 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version