AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 49 of 451
15 April 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Update:

I felt it necessary to change my log name to reflect my new 'membership' on Team Oranje.

French:
French is slow going at the moment. I'm only managing one hour a day most days of coursework (+ extra
audio commuting)... frustrating as i'm trying to finish Hugo French in 3 Months once and for all. I'm nearly
there (i'm in the last reading exercise). Despite having used this course before the reading exercises are
almost like i've not come across them before. Once completed this will mean i've done all the exercises,
added all words to my flashcard deck that weren't previously in there, can translate all exercises and
conversations in both directions and have entered all grammar points into my flashcards too. I will be glad to
see the end of it, partic. since the final reading exercises are slowing me down majorly, but nearly there! I'm
attempting to reduce the number of resources i'm using as progress has slowed and is likely to continue that
way in the coming months and I need to still move fwd (thus less resources i'm not spread so thinly). Next
stop finish of FSI Mastering French level 1 (after Hugo3m). I am managing btw to watch the French news
around every 2nd morning while munching on breakfast.

Dutch:
In 26 days i've entered over a thousand flashcards (and feel I know all these words after a revisit and some
memory tests), have made my way half way through Dutch VocabuLearn Level 1 and am in Week 7 of Hugo
Dutch in 3 Months. I have completed all this work before in Dutch, years ago now, so I should be covering
ground at this speed. I'm also entering all previously unentered words into my Dutch flashcard deck. I'm
guessing my progress will slow a bit.

It's nice to be back learning Dutch, but unfortunate I don't feel i'm like progressing well in French at the
moment, but i'm certain that provided i can soldier on through the coming months that B2 will be attainable in
November if i can continue to progress through materials and add some more diverse resources again.

PM
1 person has voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Studies: French

Message 50 of 451
15 April 2014 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
Hi Peter. Congratulations on passing your B1 this month! That is a great accomplishment. I only imagine how nice that must feel. :) I hope to get mine later this year. We will see.

I noticed that you are doing FSI Mastering French. Is that the same as FSI Basic? I downloaded all the audio and PDF files from here and printed out the first 12 levels. So far the audio is okay. I'm half way through the first unit. I really like FSI, and I know its good for me since I tend to need to grind things into my head to really learn them.

Ron

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 51 of 451
15 April 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
rlnv wrote:
Hi Peter. Congratulations on passing your B1 this month! That is a great accomplishment. I
only imagine how nice that must feel. :) I hope to get mine later this year. We will see.

I noticed that you are doing FSI Mastering French. Is that the same as FSI Basic? I downloaded all the
audio and PDF files from page=French%20Basic">here and printed out the first 12 levels. So far the audio is okay. I'm half way
through the first unit. I really like FSI, and I know its good for me since I tend to need to grind things into my
head to really learn them.

Ron

Thanks for the congrats Ron :) I would say you are certainly going to pass the B1 French exam so long as
you stay on track. So keep up the good work!

Thanks heaps for that link too. That's incredibly useful. I had read about the FSI free online courses and tried
a couple of links that didn't work for me. So with your link I have discovered with a few random checks that
my book entitled 'Mastering French Level 1' is the same as the online material. Level 1 contains units one to
six, so I assume my Level 2 book has units seven to twelve (I'm not at home so I can't check as I haven't
used my 'Level 2' yet, but that would seem logical). I had no idea there was a 'Volume 2' (units 13-24), so
you've just doubled my FSI French resources, woohoo! drats, that's a LOT more study material to get through
;) oh and myself, I'm currently in unit 5 Le climat

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 52 of 451
22 April 2014 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
Hugo French in 3 Months - completed
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4453 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 53 of 451
22 April 2014 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on completing Hugo French in 3 Months!! That's a huge accomplishment. I'm doubly impressed by
your diligence with your flashcards for Dutch.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4659 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 54 of 451
22 April 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Hey PM, congrats on passing your B1, congrats on finishing Hugo, and congrats on finding the FSI volume 2. I'm currently working on FSI unit 7 when I go for walks (it's a long unit, with 11 tapes). I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, especially since it's free! I have the full Hugo set (3 months + advanced), but between finishing Assimil NFWE and working on FSI, I don't really have the time for it. Maybe once I've finished Assimil..... (dreamy smile forms on my visage).

Have you got Hugo Advanced French? Or is that just one course too many?
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 55 of 451
23 April 2014 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
Congratulations on completing Hugo French in 3 Months!! That's a huge
accomplishment. I'm doubly impressed by
your diligence with your flashcards for Dutch.

Thanks Hekje, not that huge really tho since i'd already done the course, mind you a lot
of hit had faded from my mind, but a lot hadn't. Still i'm pleased i now know every
single bit of it back to front and inside and out. As for Dutch 1283 flashcards and
counting. :) Thanks again Hekje

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 56 of 451
23 April 2014 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Hey PM, congrats on passing your B1, congrats on finishing Hugo, and
congrats on finding the FSI volume 2. I'm currently working on FSI unit 7 when I go
for walks (it's a long unit, with 11 tapes). I think it's the greatest thing since
sliced bread, especially since it's free! I have the full Hugo set (3 months +
advanced), but between finishing Assimil NFWE and working on FSI, I don't really have
the time for it. Maybe once I've finished Assimil..... (dreamy smile forms on my
visage).

Have you got Hugo Advanced French? Or is that just one course too many?

Me being the course collector I most certainly do have Hugo Advanced French and will do
it some day, but like yourself for now I have other courses to work through. I'm
currently in Unit 5 of FSI and need to get back to Assimil NFWE as well since i've
hardly touched it for a month. Oh and tnx for the congrats on B1. It's a stepping stone
but i'm happy to pass it nonetheless. I'm not that impressed with FSI in terms of
entertainment value but it is a very worthwhile course in terms of what you can
accomplish with it. Assimil is much more fun in my opinion, as is FIA. Anyway keep up
the studying Jeffers, great work!

This discussion contains 451 messages over 57 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version