AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 361 of 451
02 May 2015 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
rlnv wrote:
Hey PM, its time again for the 6WC. Are you going to join? I was in awe last time how you
made a run for the gold. I need some inspiration, and it sure would be cool if someone doing French breaks
the ribbon!

Hey rlnv,

Hope you're going well.

I'm in... but where's the thread for May on HTLAL? I've been looking for it but can't find it. I figured it musn't
be happening this time round. Hmmm twitter seems active... So yeah, I'm in. Good luck rlnv!
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 362 of 451
02 May 2015 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
April summary:

56hrs 6min of French...

Lots of turmoil this month. Not sure which way I'm looking, Want to improve my financial situation but having
read some things on the state of the US dollar, I think it's highly likely the the world financial systems are
likely to fall into oblivion in the near future. This makes me question where I put my money, what I do with my
time and how to prepare for potential coming turmoil and how we might be played by the puppet masters. It
makes French seem trivial and almost meaningless. My 'better' job is coming to an end so it will be harder for
me to earn a comfortable wage that allowed me the breathing space to study and exercise more than the
average person. But, most unnecessary debts sre on the verge of non-existence, which will make the
transition to a likely lower wage be mainly unnoticed. My health is currently in in the midst of a final epic
battle as part if a longer war- if I lose will see my future turn dark in all likelihood (I'm counting on winning
despite recent heavy losses). I'm attempting to fight this intellectually and spiritually but seem so caught up in
my ego that I consistently give in to temptation despite clear health warnings. Sounds dramatic but this is my
reality- the way I see it.

Thanks rlnv for your nudge into the 6WC. Maybe this is the structure I need to regain my resolve.

PM

fortheo
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 363 of 451
02 May 2015 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Hey Peter, I'm curious about what finance books you've been reading? I'm somewhat interested in the topic as well. Realistically I'm more interested in living completely off the grid, but that's not happening soon. I'm sorry that your job is ending soon, but sometimes change can be good and help us learn new things. Hopefully your health holds up and you can bury yourself in the 6 week challenge!

good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 364 of 451
02 May 2015 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
fortheo wrote:
Hey Peter, I'm curious about what finance books you've been reading? I'm somewhat
interested in the topic as well. Realistically I'm more interested in living completely off the grid, but that's not
happening soon. I'm sorry that your job is ending soon, but sometimes change can be good and help us learn
new things. Hopefully your health holds up and you can bury yourself in the 6 week challenge!

good luck!

Hi fortheo,

Tnx for dropping by. I've not read any financial books for years. I've read numerous websites lately on
renovating, flipping, & other such real estate topics, and been scoping out the real estate scene. I've read
enough in recent years tho to realise we are living under one complete scam and are asleep in an illusion of
epic proportions- the financial system included. Many sources seem to point to this truth (the fog is lifting).

I came across a series of videos that you can find on YouTube called "The Hidden Secrets of Money" by Mike
Maloney. So far I've watched 4 episodes. Episode 4 exposes the absolute sham we live under in the
economic system that makes the powerful more powerful and keeps the rest of us enslaved and deliberately
ignorant.

On living off the grid I hear you! If you havent heard of them look up 'earthships' (self-suficient off the grid
homes). Beware tho, the gov't hates this sort of thing as it predominantly releases you from being enslaved to
their system. If you do break free tho expect them to attempt to reign you back in.

PM

Edit: Some of the info surrounding Michael Maloney in French:
Mike Maloney in French

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 02 May 2015 at 11:53pm

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 365 of 451
14 May 2015 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
The 6WC!
I admire lots of people in the 6wc, thanks to everyone for the inspiration. But I just
cannot understand how can PeterMolenburg put in five more time than I! It is not
jealousy, it is admiration and lack of comprehension. Perhaps he doesn't need to sleep
anymore, he takes nutrition in an infusion instead of cooking and eating, he may have
taken 6 weeks of holiday at work. Well, he's been probably doing nothing from my crazy
list of ideas, the more admirable is his progress.

You're going very well in the 6WC Cavesa, and I sincerely mean that. I don't mind explaining how I do
manage to do what I do though, as I understand with some peoples' schedules what I do looks rediculous.
Forgive me for the following long-winded explanation.

"rnlv" suggested I join the 6WC and I had been meaning to... His encouragement seemed to boost my
confidence/ego- my ego really doesn't need it. Last 6WC I dropped the ball (I did well but wanted to do
better). This time I have been determined to continue strongly and see an improvement in my language
studies- the ladder is indeed motivation for me, and I'm not sure I'll participate in the next 6WC.

I felt a bit nervous after I signed up this time and stated that I work 'full-time'. Last time I wrote 'part-time'. In
truth it's somewhere between the two I think. I do work 5 days a week on average. Actually the hours I'm at
work per week currently are around 35 hours a week.

I have explained my routine before, but I don't mind going over it here.

With my 'easier job' I often don't start work until 1500 or 1530. With the 'harder job' it's 1300. I purposely
prefer to work afternoons/evenings and I arrange/request to do this as much as I can, as it allows me to wake
up and put all my energy and focus into racking up my study hours early in the day (more so during this
6WC).

I begin my mornings with 'desk study'- I aim to get as much done before I leave for work with short breaks
throughout- often between 2 and 5 hours study before work (so far). I usually eat twice a day and if I cook it's
often only once, cooking enough to eat later in the day as well. if I sit down to eat at home I put the French
news on (often not counting all the time either due to background noise etc). If I do the dishes or walk the dog
on my own, I listen to French podcasts (also cutting time as i don't focus 100%). Driving to work (and
returning home) it's French again. That's around 30 min to one job and 45 min to the other (one way). At
one of my jobs I'm able to often get some reading done- it might be as much as 2 hours, but i register the
time as much less (often half) as I know it's not as intense as at home due to interruptions and focus on other
things. I can't always do this, but lately I am pushing to use every opportunity I have. With my harder job I
sometimes read for a bit during my breaks. If I i watch TV in the evening when I get home, or on a day off in
the evening, it's usually in French.

Unfortunately the easier job I have is coming to an end soon, so there will be likely upcoming disturbances to
my schedule.

I was exercising a lot recently, but due to a recent change of diet I'm not keen on exercise currently as stable
blood sugar in the initial months is a priority to improve long-term success with the changes. Plus it's been
very very cold here by southern Australian standards and riding my bike or kayaking isn't desirable. Thus it's
a good opportunity to focus solely on the 6WC. And I do find time to still have a family life.

I hope that helps clarify things.

PM

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 366 of 451
14 May 2015 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
You forgot to mention the super pills you take! But seriously, I've always been impressed with your routine, discipline and, above all, determination to press on. (Or should I say, fry on?)

Edited by Jeffers on 14 May 2015 at 3:43pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 367 of 451
15 May 2015 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
You forgot to mention the super pills you take! But seriously, I've always been impressed
with your routine, discipline and, above all, determination to press on. (Or should I say, fry on?)

Fry on indeed. Thanks Jeffers. I felt rather self-conscious writing that last post. It's a little self involved to say
the least all the while thinking about privacy in the back of my head (back left, just a tad past the centre)...
well... anyway not being a fan of reality TV or the government it's ironic I divulge such info on my daily
routine... Could it all be a lie? Ahahahaha (evil laugh)... Ahem, sorry I was quoting someone with an evil
laugh, who I don't know, but someone- i never get to quote anyone and that's all I could think of. All in all I
think it's useful (to the CIA, I mean fellow HTLALers) to explain my study methods. I don't think it's
necessarily outstanding, it's a combination of good circumstances and enthusiasm that's taken years of
procrastination and in turn self-disappointment to develop. Not everyone has those two elements, and many
that do would see my methods as completely dry and approach things differently.

Speaking of reality TV, when's the Big Brother HTLAL begin? That would be interesting. There'd be a bunch
of seemingly normal foreign language enthusiasts, Jeffers you'd be constructing a pretend car and a
manequin of your son pretending to drive him to and from school while listening to French, Solfrid would be
running around like a headless chook, a bunch of guys like Iversen and Emk would actually be having really
sensible conversations on language learning and be actually normal, Benny would be running around
grinning his face off trying to chat to every single person he could every minute of the day, Serpent would be
serpenting about and singing a song with every second line being in different language and I'd be pent up in a
room with the door locked telling people to piss off and stop trying to interact wth me because i'm busy trying
to learn how to speak to people in French, and if they're not actually French or can't break down every
syllable into phonetic symbols and give me example sentences after showing it to me in a dictionary even if I
clearly know the meaning (such as "Je") then don't even bother bothering me....
3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 368 of 451
19 May 2015 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
6WC update and other associated things...

On Friday (now Tuesday almost midday here) I became progressively unwell. To the point
I tried to get out of work by having me replaced with any one of the other nurses who
work with the person I was to attend. No one could do it. Friday evening was horrible.
It was an easy shift for the most part but my illness was horrible and I struggled to
even drive to work. I knew it was not contagious tho, fortunately. Friday, Sat, and
Sunday were quite uncomfortable to say the least.

I knew I had this coming. You can only get away with abusing your body for so long.
Simple fact. I'm a person of extremes and extreme healthy periods are not enough to
stave off the ravages of extremely unhealthy periods. A recent change in diet was
clearly too late to stave off the impending problem or in fact likely exacerbated it
as by eliminating all processed foods to avoid cravings I overdid my meat intake to
say the least.

So I haven't eaten solid foods since. Only yesterday did I begin with some vegetable
broths and am continuing to do so today (feeling 98% improved) but I must be wise here
and not steer myself back to the other extreme again. I now seek balance. In fact I
need to seek this in all parts of my life. Including language learning. Sitting for
long hours is simply not good for the human body. Much research demonstrates this, and
my recent lack of exercise, over consumption of meat, a history of sugar addiction,
and increased sitting with my ego trying in vain to tower over everyone in its
greatness by winning the 6wc - "imagine how I will be perceived if i win all
categories of the 6wc" - such is the vanity of the ego as it ignores the feeling side
in its attempt to become great in an illusion. It's time to temper my ego and stop
allowing it to rule my life. These challanges are an ego-trap for individuals like
myself who are very much ego-centred. I'm not condemning myself here, simply laying
out the facts. Nor am I blaming the 6wc, as I think it's a great motivator. I was just
being motivated for the wrong reasons I feel, so...

I will approach the rest of the 6WC as a challenge in which I find a healthy balance
with the rest of my life yet still progress nicely. If I drop down the leaderboard
this time it won't be due to laziness, but to wisdom. Slowly but steady wins the race.

PM

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 19 May 2015 at 3:42am

This discussion contains 451 messages over 57 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version