Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5058 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 1 of 11
02 January 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Robert Bigler's wonderful youtube channel "Sprachbegeistert" seems to have gone. He is a member of HTAL, too, does anybody know anything? Robert, will you be back?
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5320 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 2 of 11
02 January 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
I believe he disappeared from this forum after he got disappointed about some negativity regarding polyglots. Perhaps he got stressed out from the comments on his youtube channel too.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 02 January 2014 at 4:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4986 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 3 of 11
04 January 2014 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
I'm afraid this kind of thing is the general rule rather than the exception. Very few
accomplished polyglots seem to contribute here regularly over the long term. Most of
them seem to be active for a while, then leave. That or they only pop by periodically
to begin with. In fact, Iversen is the only one I can think of who seems to be here
every day, year in and year out, so kudos to him for that! I don't have enough
background in the sociology of online forums (does anyone?), but I strongly suspect
that this is common across the board and not unique to HTLAL.

The same seems to be true for YouTube posting as well. Only those who are rather
overtly trying to promote a business venture through their channel remain prolific for
long. Those who are just trying to share make fewer videos to begin with. Lots of
them seem to go into lulls, maybe even permanently. Going so far as to pull down his
entire channel, though, does sadly seem to indicate an extreme degree of
disappointment.

Let's hope that most of those who disappear simply feel that they have shared what they
have to say and that participating further just takes too much time from their
languages.

Be all that as it may, I for one will certainly miss Sprachbegeistert!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4762 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 4 of 11
05 January 2014 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
(...) He is a member of HTAL, too, does anybody know anything? Robert, will you be back? (...)

First of all, thank you (and the other two members posting in this thread) for your kind words, I really appreciate them.

As for my youtube account, I had been thinking for some time about retiring from the Internet community of language learners for several reasons. I'm afraid I had grown weary of certain statements and private messages, arguments, discussions etc. It was one specific message on one specific day which sort of was the final straw that broke the camel's back. If I had been in a better mood that day, I might have reacted differently, who knows. I guess there is a reason for (almost) everything in life.

In addition, I felt I had not much else to offer to the people watching my videos. There is a certain pressure to "produce new content" and I did not want to just keep uploading videos for the sake of an ever growing list of videos.

My job keeps me extremely busy and there were some private issues as well which finally convinced me that it would be better for me to delete my account.

I would like to emphasize, however, that I am very grateful for all the support and encouraging messages I got and the friendships which developed from my Internet presence.

I decided to make a clear cut and also deleted my fb and google+ accounts.

I do hope people benefited in one way or another from my videos and/or the messages we exchanged with regard to language learning.

Languages remain one of my greatest passions in life and I'll continue to dedicate much of my spare time to what I thoroughly enjoy. I'll be at the polyglot gathering in Berlin next June, by the way, so I won't be totally cut off from the community of language learners.

While I felt a bit sad myself after having taken down my account (not out of any narcissistic tendency, mind you, but simply because I had enjoyed communicating with other language enthusiasts), I have quickly come to realize how much more time I now have available for my actual language studies.

Maybe I'll try to contribute again to this forum one day, if I feel I could offer some piece of advice or simply engage in a friendly exchange of opinions.

Meanwhile, all the best to all of you for your language projects and thanks again for your kind words.

21 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5058 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 5 of 11
06 January 2014 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:

Maybe I'll try to contribute again to this forum one day, if I feel I could offer some piece of advice or simply engage in a friendly exchange of opinions.
Meanwhile, all the best to all of you for your language projects and thanks again for your kind words.

Thank you for answering. I don't really know what to say (happens always when there is too much to say), but I am sure you know what is best for you. I had enjoyed your contributions, and also learned from them, thank you, it won't be forgotten so easily. And who knows what the future holds...

-> May each day ...

rahdonit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6374 days ago

50 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English, German

Message 6 of 11
06 January 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Hi Robert! I'd watched (and enjoyed) all your videos on youtube. Thank you a lot for your contributions!

All the best to you!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zarmutek
United States
twitter.com/manueljoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4485 days ago

28 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 11
06 January 2014 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Robert! I was wondering why I hadn't seen you on Facebook anymore. I wish you all the
best man. Hopefully I'll see you in Berlin!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 8 of 11
06 January 2014 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Hey Robert, I was wondering the same as the other guys. It's actually great to hear from you. I loved your videos! All the best!

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version