flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4997 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 11
06 January 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria, thank you for your explanatory post. I too had enjoyed your Youtube videos (and was
glad of your forum participation) and am sorry to hear your news. - But I quite understand: I've been
sometimes quite horrified at the comments that people have felt free to anonymously post online, especially
on Youtube, so much so that I no longer read the comments fields on that site.

I hope you'll return online in the future (especially to Htlal). But if not, all the best for 2014 and beyond. (And,
as you note, time spent away from the internet-community is more language-learning time! Which is, after all,
the ostensible priority we all have, in any case.)

p.s. And on a small, trivial note, may I say how much I liked that double-layered sliding bookcase I saw in the
background of your videos? - As someone who suffers from the "So many books, so little space" syndrome
(not to mention the "So many books, so little time one", but that's a different story), I got a kick out of that neat
and efficient space-saving solution.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4790 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 10 of 11
07 January 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for your nice words. I almost blushed while reading these posts. Anyway, I'll definitely be in Berlin for the polyglot gathering in June this year and am thinking of going to the conferences in New York and Montreal as well.

It would be great to meet at least some of you guys there.

As for the sliding bookcase, I love it too :-). The bookshelves you saw in the video, are in my home office. I have a similar, but slightly larger wall of bookshelves with the same type of sliding bookcases in what I like to call my "library".

By the time I get to go to the conferences mentioned above, I hope to be able to communicate in some of the new languages I am currently studying. I had been tinkering with Turkish, Arabic, Portuguese and Hebrew for some time and I really look forward to getting serious about studying these languages now.

I am currently working my way through some Living Language courses and self-study courses available for German speakers. With the help of native speakers (once I have passed the level of absolute beginners) I hope to make enough progress to actually use these languages when I meet up with other language enthusiasts next time.

I won't be online that often over the next few weeks because my interpreting schedule is already very tight for this month but I will come back here from time to time and hope to participate in interesting discussions.

You can still ask me questions here on this forum, and I will do my best to answer them within a reasonable period of time.

As I said, I don't want to cut myself off completely from the language learning community but I will certainly not be as present as I used to be.

Happy new year to all of you and good luck with your language studies.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4790 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 11 of 11
28 July 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
While I'm not yet sure if I should upload any videos myself again, here is a video uploaded by Chris from Denmark. I met him at the polyglot gathering in Berlin and we had a casual chat about language learning etc.

Nothing really new, but it was very nice to meet him and you might get a feeling for what the gathering was like.

I'd also highly recommend Chris' podcasts and other videos. Check out his website http://actualfluency.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwJq6qIO34

Edited by Rob_Austria on 28 July 2014 at 3:40pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version