United States
Joined 5322 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 5
02 January 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
As a happy member of HTLAL, I found this absolutely hilarious. But then again, I like laughing at myself. :-)

Quote:
Man On Internet Almost Falls Into World Of DIY Mustard Enthusiasts

…Gibson's descent into the depths of mustard obsession started innocently enough, when he got involved in an Internet exchange about the best kind of mustard to use on a grilled bratwurst. When someone posted a link encouraging him to "click on this if you really want to spice things up," he took the stranger's advice and suddenly found himself on MustardMonster.com, a discussion group devoted to the cultivation, preparation, and enjoyment of the table-side condiment.

"I immediately realized I was out of my league," Gibson said of his first encounter with the Internet's do-it-yourself mustard community. "At that point I had maybe three different kinds of mustard in my refrigerator, but when I looked at their forum topics, these guys were talking about the strengths of unique varieties of imported mustard seeds, brewing your own vinegar for mustard-making, ways to improve store-bought mustard when you find yourself in a pinch. That…that was the start of what I now call my 'lost year.'"

…After an inquiry about a good place to get starter supplies for mustard-making received eight enthusiastic responses, an emboldened Gibson looked through the group's archives to familiarize himself with its etiquette and tastes.

The Onion has a real genius for social satire. The closest French equivalent is probably Le Gorafi, which is funny, but rarely as brilliant as The Onion. Personally, I spend more time reading Topito, which was recommended by sctroyenne.

What are your favorite satire and humor sites in your various languages?

Edited by emk on 02 January 2014 at 6:46pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5389 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 5
02 January 2014 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
If you replaced "mustard" by "languages", you would get a description of HTLAL.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5181 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 3 of 5
02 January 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm really surprised that one isn't true. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find
an internet group of obsessed mustard enthusiasts (especially given how foodie trends
work).

Le Gorafi can be quite brilliant sometimes but they also will go for easy humor quite a
bit. Le Canard Enchaîné is the original French satire news publication and they blow The
Onion out of the water (they even break stories) but they've been very reluctant about
establishing a presence on the internet). Another one in the same vein as Le Gorafi is
Biblioquet Magazine. They tend to go for more subtle humor (though not always). There's
also Charlie Hebdo which I've never gotten into. They seem to go more for shock value and
they're one of the papers that likes to publish cartoons of Mohammed despite the risk of
bombing (and their offices were indeed fire bombed).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4493 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 4 of 5
02 January 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
The Netherlands has De Speld.

A good article they published recently: "Dutch government wants to know why Prime Minster Mark Rutte's phone hasn't been tapped by NSA"

Edited by Hekje on 02 January 2014 at 8:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5018 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 5 of 5
02 January 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Since this is a language site, someone should post a link to the Speculative Grammarian, a joke linguistic journal. A Reinterpretation of Some Aspects of the Indo-European Expansion is my favorite.

It's certainly not to everyone's taste--but if you find the following as funny as I do, check it out.

"In recent years, Marija Gimbutas’ claim that the original IEs were in fact the Khurgan culture of the steppes has gained wide acclaim, since it positions the Urheim in an area that no-one wants to claim anyway and thus reduces friction at important Indo-Europeanist social events. In addition, the Khurgani were apparently a rather vigorous bunch, whose major artifacts were (a) hand axes and (b) rapidly built tombs, both of which are consistent with the traditional view of the IEs.

"There are several problems with this scenario, however, foremost of which is the fact that the warlike expansion hypothesis was originally formulated by 19th century Germans, who also proposed that the spread of glaciers during the ice-age was the result of the military superiority of northern ice floes as compared to decadent Mediterranean lakes, and who invented the term “spirited attainment of autochthon-nonvoluntary advisorial status”, which in German constitutes a single word of such breathtaking length and consonantal density that many opponents of said attainment strangled in the act of attempting to oppose it. In addition, Indo-Europeans had a plethora of words for (a) trees, and (b) pigs, neither of which are found in notable profusion in the steppes and which certainly were not particularly valued by the Khurgani, who liked to gallop uninhibitedly about spiritedly advising those in their path and, according to Gimbutas, beating up feminists."

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version