Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 1 of 12
02 January 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I've been taught that you can (at least in Southern Germany) use the definite artikels Der und Die with people's name. z.B: Ich bin die Courtney. or Das ist der Daniel.

I've also read in other forums that in Nothern and Eastern Germany calling people der und die whatever their name is, is considered rude and offensive. Is this true and if so, why is it considered to be rude and offensive?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 12
02 January 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
When I was in Bavaria this happened all the time. It is normal there. Not sure about the
rest of Germany.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4331 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 12
02 January 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
No idea why this would be considered rude, but such are the subtleties of language.
Where I come from, this is the normal way of speaking. But even here in the South,
things differ from region to region. I heard people from Tyrol using die + last name + -
in instead of Frau + last name (eg. die Hoferin instead of Frau Hofer). Using this
construct can be considered rude here in Upper Austria. No idea why though.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 12
02 January 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
I've also read in other forums that in Nothern and Eastern Germany calling people der und die whatever their name is, is considered rude and offensive.

I don't thinks that they find it rude; they're just not used to it.

BTW, Germany's grammar Czar, Bastian Sick, wrote an interesting (German) article about this topic.
4 persons have voted this message useful

svalbard
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4088 days ago

5 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 5 of 12
02 January 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I am from Schleswig-Holstein, northern Germany. It is considered very strange but I have
never seen anyone perceive it as rude.

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4499 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 6 of 12
02 January 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
BTW, Germany's grammar Czar, Bastian Sick, wrote an interesting (German) article about this topic.

That is a great article! I had no idea that the Article/Name thing was such a big deal. I had kind of just assumed that it was all personal preference.

Thanks for posting that!

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4343 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 7 of 12
03 January 2014 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
It was in my German A1 book, but my wife from Nord Rhein Westphalia cracks up if I say "Ich bin der Patrick".

Everybody I know in Berlin would say something like "Ich bin Patrick" or "Mein Name ist Patrick". According to her, you could use the definite article with the "Ich bin..." formulation (but it would be odd) but absolutely never with "Mein Name ist...", which would just be grammatically false.

However, she suggested if you were in a travel group or whatever, and there was only one John, say, you could say "Bist du der John?" or "Sind Sie der John?" and you could then reply "Ja, Ich bin der John" or "Nein, Ich bin der Patrick".

Edited by patrickwilken on 03 January 2014 at 12:34am

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 8 of 12
03 January 2014 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
Ah, it seems to me like its completely normal for the South a bit of a strange quirk in the other parts of Germany. My German tutor is from Bayern so of course she was the one who taught me about using the definite article with the name, which makes a lot of sense. She often refers to herself as die Mama to her children and of course der Papa.

The definite article also seems to be used as a replacement for a name or for a person. For example, I asked a friend of mine: "Wo ist dein Sohn?" and he answered me "Der ist (an) Judo." (I don't remember the exact prep. but he was at his Judo class.) Is that another grammatical use of the article or is that more of a colloquial thing?

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version