Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 ... 65 66 Next >>
rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 281 of 522
15 August 2014 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
I read about your need to digitise books. You can do it yourself for free into PDF format fairly easily. Here are some instructions:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3390988/How-to-quickly-digitize-yo ur-books-a-complete-manual-2008

In addition if the Books are old / out of copyright (like your Unua Libro?) then perhaps you need the services of The Distributed Proof Readers who do much of the work for Project Gutenberg. They also have a European arm which tends to do non-english proof-reads.

You can start a project for your book (one book per project I think) they have a project manager FAQ.

The advantage is you can get a lot of the work done for free by volunteers and it will get shared with the world on the Project Gutenburg. The PGDP are great because the images of the page will be proofread and corrections made, so all the mistakes made by OCR readers are checked over and corrected by a human. Humans also spot things like mistranslations, typos, etc.

You might want to check to see if some of your books aren't already available. There is a lot of books already available for Esperanto.

Once completed you can then get your books in all different formats; TXT, PDF, EPUB, MOBI, etc.

EDIT: It also occured to me that you don't need to depend on PGDP volunteers, your own team could do the proofreading once you've put it on to their website, they can all access it and proofread via any web-browser.

Edited by rdearman on 15 August 2014 at 12:57pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 282 of 522
15 August 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Thank you rdearman, those links look really interesting and I will definitely explore :)

Our thinking so far has been that because our collection is so big (13,000 books is a conservative estimate, it's almost certainly at least 14,000 by now) it is probably too much for volunteers to cope with and we need professional help.

We do indeed have copies of many of the books which are already on Project Gutenburg but they feel like a drop in the ocean compared to what we have on our shelves!

Some of the stuff we have is really obscure. I just searched the catalogue for "hrvatski" and found that we have a copy of a fascinating(?!) book called "Fervoja terminareto Esperanta-serbokroata" (a collection of Esperanto-Serbocroatian railway terminology). But some of it is really interesting and useful, at least for those who are interested in the history of Esperanto.

There are definitely a lot of books which are out of copyright and which we could therefore make freely available online. Not just novels, but also collections of Esperanto periodicals. We also have books that have been published by our association over the years and for which we therefore hold copyright. There are other books which have been written by British Esperantists where copyright has passed (or will pass) to our association on their death. For the more modern stuff which is still in copyright, ideally we would like to set up an online lending library where members could borrow digital copies of the books. I'm sure existing libraries do this and so the software must exist.

That's the dream :) How long it will take to realise I don't know!
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 283 of 522
15 August 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
OK, I'm conscious of cluttering up your logs, and I was going to PM you, but though someone else might be interested our discussion and in the links I'm going to provide. So I apologise in advance for this long post.

First I think you might want to consider an open-source library system if you're going to be lending books. I've put links to the most popular ones below. I don't know if they have ebook lending facilities, but they certainly give you the ability for people to reserve actual books and for you to check them in and out. Some even have online lending and reservations, and one is digital.

Koha
Evergreen
Greenstone Digital Library System
Biblioteq

As for scanning in the books you might want to look at becoming a "Partner" with the Google Books Partner Program, this allows publishers or libraries to donate books to be scanned and digitised by Google. Google give zero methods for contacting them, but they do list physical addresses, so you could send them a letter. They did the entire library of the state of Wisconsin in 2 days. Google Books Partners

If you aren't interested in that, you can look into building an automated scanner which will turn the pages by itself and work unattended for the most part. You can buy these things also, but they cost a bit. However for 14,000 books it might pay for the cost itself.

Here are some non-destructive scanners;
Book Scanners
Long list of Book Scanner Manufacturers

I mentioned the PGDP because they will make corrections to the digital scans afterwards. They are you're best bet for getting a good quality end-result. Google will probably make you sign up to some commercial agreement.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 284 of 522
18 August 2014 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Thank you rdearman for all the advice. You are definitely not cluttering up my log :)

It is funny that you mention Koha, as we agreed to install this about three years ago. Our library catalogue, such as it is, had previously been maintained in Locoscript (I kid you not!) but it got to a stage where there no longer existed a computer which could run that. The decision was taken to maintain the catalogue in Koha instead - which has numerous advantages - but, without wishing to air too much dirty Esperanto laundry in public, the person with the responsibility for installing it still hasn't successfully done so.

It is obviously beyond a joke now. The fact that the catalogue itself is still incomplete is also beyond a joke. When you run a charity and everyone is a volunteer you have to be lenient with deadlines, but there are limits...!

We had a productive meeting this weekend anyway in which we concluded that we shouldn't start our scanning project until a) we have a comprehensive list of the books we have and b) we have a comprehensive list of the scanned Esperanto materials already online so that we can compare the two. Someone has volunteered to start working on b) immediately and we have agreed a radical solution to a) which should see the catalogue completed within the next 12 months (as opposed to the estimated completion date of 2042 if work continues at the existing speed!).

In the mean time we can do more exploration of the different scanning options and experiment with individual books and periodicals :)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 285 of 522
18 August 2014 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Esperanto aside, it was quite a productive weekend for my Super Challenge :)

I spent Friday night trying to salvage my laptop and eventually managed to wipe it and reinstall Windows. Almost everything is back to normal now, except for the fact that every photo I have ever taken is backed up on Amazon Cloud and without me realising, Amazon have discontinued their app which syncs files from the Cloud to your hard drive. The only way for me to get my photos back on my computer is to download them, one at a time.

I've spent about 3 hours doing this so far and got halfway through 2010. There are still thousands of photos to go. But I hit on the idea on Saturday of listening to my Croatian audio book while I was doing in. So, in total I have listened to 120 minutes of 'Grimizna Studija' this weekend.

Taking advantage of the electricity over the weekend, I have also watched three more episodes of 'Bitange i Princeze'. I'm nearly at the end of the second series now. In total I've reached 34.7 films. I just had a look at the stats and saw that someone already has 200 films. I am completely in awe!

In terms of reading, I read another 118 pages of "čarobnjakov nećak" and finished the book. As it's a children's book it was quite easy to understand. I should probably read something more challenging, but it was fun reliving my childhood and I do have pdfs of the entire Narnia series :)

There was a funny point in the Esperanto meeting at the weekend when one of the other trustees was talking heatedly about something and came out with the sentence, "There's as much point in doing that as there is in me learning Serbocroatian". It made me laugh because he was obviously trying to choose an example which sounded completely useless. He didn't know, of course, that I am doing just that :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 286 of 522
19 August 2014 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I have listened to another 43 minutes of 'Grimizna Studija' while commuting. I'm listening to each chapter at least twice and finding that I understand a lot more on the second or third attempt.

I need to track down some more audio books before I go on holiday. I am going to have a couple of bus journeys which are nearly 12 hours long and I'm not very good at reading on buses, so I think audio books are the way forward :)

I have been working on my future exact sentences for the August challenge and have found 41 so far. They're all from the 'Fifty Shades of Grey' trilogy so there are a couple which it might be better if I don't translate on the forum. I think seeing so many examples of the same thing is helping me to understand it a bit better.          ; 

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 287 of 522
19 August 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm writing my future exact sentences here so that I don't lose them. (I have already managed to lose them once!).

The Serbian sentences are first with the English sentences from the original books underneath.

(Note these are all from Fifty Shades of Grey - don't read them if that sort of thing makes you uncomfortable).

1) "Biću u Portlandu do petka ako budeš htela da pričamo o tome."
I'll be in Portland until Friday if you want to talk about it before then.

2) Molim te, imaj to u vidu kad se budemo videli u sredu.
Please bear this in mind for our meeting on Wednesday.

3) Znam da ti se ne dopada ideja da ti zapušim usta - pričali smo o tome - i ako/kad to budem uradio, razgovaraćemo o tome.
I know you have issues with gagging, we've talked about that and if/when I do gag you, we'll discuss it.

4) Ako budem pričala s mamom, znam da ću se slomiti još više.
If I talk to Mom, I know I will break even further.

5) Anastazija, ako ne budeš jela, prebaciću te preko kolena nasred restorana i to neće imati nikakve veze s mojim seksualnim
zadovoljenjem.
Anastasia, if you don't eat, I will take you across my knee here in this restaurant, and it will have nothing to do with my sexual
gratification.

6) Da imamo vanila vezu, a onda možda, kad budeš imala više poverenja u mene a ja verovao da si iskrena i da komuniciraš sa mnom,
možemo da napredujemo i radimo ponešto od onoga što bih voleo.
Do the vanilla thing and then maybe, once you trust me more and I trust you to be honest and to communicate with me, we could move
on and do some of the things that I like to do.

7) Anastazija, neću te ponovo dotaći, ne ukoliko me ne budeš molila da to učinim.
Anastasia, I am not going to touch you again, not until you beg me to.

8) Kad sledeći put budemo vodili ljubav, moraćeš podrobno da mi govoriš šta želiš.
Next time we make love, you're going to have to tell me exactly what you want in fine detail.

9) Ostaće kod nas dok ne bude našao stan u Sijetlu.
He's staying here until he finds a place in Seattle.

10) Slegnula sam ramenima. „Bar dok ne budem jela.“
I shrug. "At least until I've eaten".

11) Zakleo sam se sebi da te nikad više neću tući po guzi čak i ako me budeš molila.“
I vowed to myself I would not spank you again, even if you begged me.

12) Koristićeš lozinku ako budeš morala i samo ću voditi ljubav s tobom, u redu?
You will safe word if you need to, and I will just make love to you, okay?

13) Pa, ako se budeš lepo ponašao, možda možemo da oživimo neke tvoje uspomene
Well, if you behave yourself, maybe we can relive some of those memories.

14) Trajaće zauvek ako budem pregledala sve naslove.
Scanning every title will take forever.

15) Šta li će uraditi kad bude saznao?
What will he do when he finds out?

16) Toliko toga se dogodilo - neće mi verovati kad joj budem ispričala.
So much has happened - she'll never believe me when I tell her.

17) Pa, kad joj budem ispričala doteranu verziju u skladu s ugovorom o poverljivosti podataka.
Well, tell her the edited NDA-compliant version.

18) Ako me Džek dotakne - ako čak bude disao preblizu mene - srediću ga
If Jack touches me - if he even breathes too close to me - I will take him down.

19) Ako budem sedela mirno, setiću se Džeka i njegovih prstiju na meni.
If I sit still, I'll recall Jack and his fingers on me.

20) A ako se ne budem ponašala lepo?“
When do I not behave?

21) „Ne znam još. Javiću ti čim budem znala.“
I don't know yet. As soon as I do, I'll call.

22) „A sad ću te", prodahta Kristijan,„jebati dok ne budeš vrištala."
You'll have to use Google translate if you want to know what this one means ;)

23) Kad budete želeli, gospođo Grej. Veoma rado ću preći sve s vama."
When you're ready Mrs Grey.I'd be more than happy to run through things with you.

24) „Kad sledeći put budeš išao kod njega, daću ti spisak tema koje želim da obradim", prosiktala sam.
"Next time you go to see him, I'll give you a list of topics I want covered", I hiss at him.

25) Neću imati vremena za to ako budem vodila kompaniju.
Running a company will take me away from that.

26) „Pa, drago mi je što je skoro gotov, ali..." Zaćutala sam. Mogu li da mu kažem koliko ću brinuti kad sledeći put bude pilotirao
helikopterom?
"Well I'm glad she's nearly fixed, but.." I stop. Can I tell him how nervous I'll be when he flies next time?

27) „Kazaću ti kasnije kad ne budeš ključao od besa."
I'll tell you later when you're no longer burning with rage.

28) Isto će biti i s decom kad ih budeš dobila.
It will be the same with your kids when you have them.

29) A volela bih i da ostanem s vama dok budete pričali s njom."
I'd also like to stay with you while you talk.

30) Preskotova će biti sa mnom dok budem razgovarala s njom.
I will see her with Prescott.

31) „Doći ću čim budem mogao."
I'll leave as soon as I can.

32) Doći ću kod tebe čim budem mogao.
I'll be with you as soon as I can.

33) „Nije kod kuće. Zvaću je kasnije kad budem znala rezultate skeniranja."
She's not there. I'll call later when I know the results of the brain scan.

34) Ako budeš imala mnogo sreće, gospođo Grej."
If you're very lucky, Mrs Grey.

35) „Saznaćemo kad bude došao ovamo
We'll find out when he gets here.

36) Šta ako bude hteo da se razvede?
Suppose he wants a divorce?

37) A kad se budem vratila, premestiću svoje stvari u sobu na spratu.
And when I return I'll be moving my belongings to the room upstairs.

38) Jesam. Gde si očekivala da budem?
Yes. Where did you expect me to be?

39) Ana, biće sve u redu ako budeš ćutala.
Ana, we'll get along just fine if you keep your mouth shut.

40) U zavisnosti od toga kako se ujutru budete osećali, možda ćemo vas pustiti kući.
Depending on how you feel in the morning, we may let you go home.

41) Znaćemo više kad Velč bude došao
We'll know more when Welch is here.

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 288 of 522
20 August 2014 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
I should learn #41. I use that all the time, and I have to say Ana (#39) is a pain in the backside most days.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version