Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 12
09 January 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
So I got my copy of Aldébaran, Tome 1 : La catastrophe and have read about a quarter of it. I have to say, I was disappointed by the artwork, which looks fairly amateurish to me in comparison to most BDs I have read. But I was pleasantly surprised that I could easily understand the French. By my reckoning, it is written if fairly clear and formal French. By formal I mean not full of contractions, colloquialisms and slang like some other BDs I've tried to read.

On my reviews page that I linked earlier, I try to post at least one page with text and art. For example, Aldébaran is here. As for the art, I don't really like the human figures very much, but I love the bizarre alien wildlife!

Note that this book ends on cliff-hanger. The entire series is very inexpensive online on Izneo (10€ for ~250 pages if you "rent" it). To date, there are actually three related series containing 16 books, plus a spinoff series, plus another couple series from the same team, so there's plenty of reading material available at very reasonable prices if you like this book!

As far as the language goes, it's mostly an easy, neutral conversational register. It's a lot more natural than Tintin's dialog, but it never uses obscure slang. So if you're looking for fairly authentic spoken French, it's an excellent choice—as is Persepolis.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fezmond
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 4713 days ago

72 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, French

Message 10 of 12
11 January 2014 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
I bought L'histoire en BD (#1) and it's cool. I get most of the gist give or take a few
words here and there, some not even in my dictionary.

The only bad thing is that it won't work on Kindle PC, only Kindle cloud where one cannot
zoom in to read the text. Tablet works well enough though.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 12
11 January 2014 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
fezmond wrote:
I bought L'histoire en BD (#1) and it's cool. I get most of the gist give or take a few

The only bad thing is that it won't work on Kindle PC, only Kindle cloud where one cannot

What device are you reading it on? I got an Asterix on my daughter's Kindle Fire HD, and I can double click panes to zoom in.

There is one thing I think is a problem with Izneo: your password is not secure. Any website which emails you your password when you change it is insecure. If they use security properly, then they don't even know your password. So don't use the same password you use on other sites. Just a head's up.

Edited by Jeffers on 11 January 2014 at 2:04pm

fezmond
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 4713 days ago

72 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: Korean, French

Message 12 of 12
11 January 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
fezmond wrote:
I bought L'histoire en BD (#1) and it's cool. I get
most of the gist give or take a few

The only bad thing is that it won't work on Kindle PC, only Kindle cloud where one
cannot

What device are you reading it on? I got an Asterix on my daughter's Kindle Fire HD,
and I can double click panes to zoom in.

There is one thing I think is a problem with Izneo: your password is not secure. Any
website which emails you your password when you change it is insecure. If they use
security properly, then they don't even know your password. So don't use the same
password you use on other sites. Just a head's up.

I bought it from Amazon.co.uk and am using it on a Samsung laptop (phone and tab work
well). Unfortunately it seems some books won't work well with the PC app.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version