Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5248 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 7
03 January 2014 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
This may seem a bit strange, but here it goes. Let’s say hypothetically that I bought Assimil’s Russian With Ease with a French base and I also bought Assimil’s Russian With Ease with an Italian base. The question is, will the Russian be the same in the Italian and French based books?

So basically, would the Russian on lesson 35 with a French base mirror the Russian on lessons 35 with the Italian base?

Granted the lesson’s could be arranged a lesson or two off, but would it be the same Russian?

PS: Both Assimil versions were/would be bought at the same time.

Thanks.

1 person has voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3748 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 7
03 January 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Currently there are 2 generations on sale: 1. Le nouveau X language sans peine and 2. Le X language.

So if you bought "Le nouveau russe sans peine" it will be the same as "Il nuovo russo senza sforzo". However, "Le nouveau russe sans peine" might not be the same as "Le russe".

Edited by Hungringo on 03 January 2014 at 6:39pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5248 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 7
03 January 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the response, but I have to ask. Is this your opinion or do you know this for a fact?

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3748 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 7
03 January 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Well, I don't have any of the Russian Assimil books, but have a huge collection of Assimil. Assimil books within the same generation are identical regardeless of their base-language. But you have to pay a lot of attention in order to make sure that you buy the generation you actually need.

This means if you want identical French and Italian-based Russian Assimil books, you either opt for the earlier generation: "Le nouveau russe sans peine" and "Il nuovo russo senza sforzo" or you can choose the newest generation "Le russe" and "Il russo" respectively.

Edited by Hungringo on 03 January 2014 at 10:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5359 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 5 of 7
03 January 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
A good way to know, whether two versions are the same is to compare the lenghth of the audio. The make only one recording for the same course generation in different base languages.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 7
04 January 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
I've got multiple bases for several Assimil courses and so far they've all matched up perfectly.

One way to tell which generation it is, is that that sometimes cover will have the number of lessons. The newest course, 4th Generation, Le Russe and Il Russo has 100 lessons. The previous course, 3rd generation, Il nuovo russo senza sforzo and Le Nouveau Russe sans peine had only 70 lessons.

But the 3rd generation courses are out of print now for Italian and French (only still in print for Spanish and German base) so with these specific languages you shouldn't have problems, unless you buy from an unreliable second hand source.

Edited by YnEoS on 04 January 2014 at 3:20am

amyhere
Diglot
Australia
Joined 3970 days ago

10 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Finnish

Message 7 of 7
04 January 2014 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I'll just confirm that I have both Le Chinois sans Peine and Chinese with Ease and they are basically exactly
the same except for some reason every time it says 爱人 in the French version it says 太太 in the English
version...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version