VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 9 of 18
18 January 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Have spent most of the week creating parallel texts for the Twilight series; getting a bit obsessive about it, actually.
What is surprising me is just how much language I'm realizing I already recognize (can't say I "know" it, since I
probably couldn't produce it if I had to), but language I've seen/heard enough that, in context, I understand the
meaning.

For example, just the task of lining up the paragraphs - to create the side-by-side parallel texts - I'm skimming as I
go. When I finally do really begin the reading, the words I truly don't recognize will be much easier to pick out and
focus on. And, to break up the boringness of parallel text creating, I browse through one of the many Dutch
grammar books I've accumulated, and am again surprised at how much is now clear, through seeing the patterns
used in the L2 of the parallel text.

I'm starting to understand the reasoning behind some posters (forgive me, didn't note names at the time) who
declared that a learner shouldn't really need to use parallel texts for very long, because I'm already seeing some
common usages/phrases/vocabulary that I don't need to reference the L1 to understand. It's more of a crutch than
anything else, and after a few weeks (months?) of using the crutch, I'm not sure I'll need it anymore. Unless I move
to more difficult reading, which is always an option.

My observations from 20+ hours of parallel text production...
1 person has voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 

Message 10 of 18
29 January 2014 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
I haven't posted in a bit, have had a busier few weeks than I was anticipating...

But I have been somewhat productive on the language learning front: finished creating Dutch-English parallel texts
from the four Twilight books (I had the ebooks in both languages), and also the first two Harry Potter books, for
which I also have the Dutch audio.

Have started listening to the radio, for short intervals (hard to focus on out-of-reach spoken language), and
restarted Assimil, which is easy enough in the spoken sections even for me. And have also been reviewing one or
two pages of grammar (from various books) each night, after I read one or two pages of the parallel text of "Little
House in the Big Woods."

So it seems that I prefer the multiple approach method: a combination of reading, listening, using a course (Assimil
for the moment), and grammar review. Prevents boredom, and I'm starting to recognize some of the patterns that
I'm reviewing in the grammar texts, which is a nice reinforcement of everything else.

I'm hoping to post more regularly ;-) ...

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4483 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 11 of 18
29 January 2014 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I love that you're making parallel Twilight books. One thing's for sure, those are a quick, engrossing read. Guilty
pleasure on my part. :-P

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 

Message 12 of 18
30 January 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
I love that you're making parallel Twilight books. One thing's for sure, those are a quick,
engrossing read. Guilty
pleasure on my part. :-P

As an English/ESL teacher (in a former life), Twilight is a definitely a guilty pleasure! Some teenage students of
mine told me about the books, and the first time I tried to read them, I was turned off by the amateurish writing and
exaggerated prose - and sparkly vampires...

But tried again one summer when I was traveling, and bored, and become so obsessed with the story, read all four
books in a week. I'm constantly defending the books to friends and family - a good story trumps bad writing any
time, in my opinion.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4483 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 13 of 18
30 January 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Hahaha, I know how you feel! Those books are just so frickin' readable. Now I feel like I have all this Twilight
knowledge stored up in my head that is socially unacceptable for me to share. It's always like:

Friend: Yeah, I saw the posters for the new Twilight movie out... with that weird werewolf dude...
Me: (mumble) Jacob.
Friend: What?
Me: Nothing.

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 

Message 14 of 18
05 February 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
So my Dutch learning is going in fits and starts, but I seems to be finding some kind of pattern which is working.

I thought my main learning tools would be parallel texts (Dutch-English), with some listening to audiobooks (the
ones I have parallel texts for, if possible), and some television. Well, the listening has been a bust so far: unless I
have the subtitles right there (or the text of the audiobooks), I miss 75% of what is being said. I know this is normal,
but it is very hard to focus if you can't even figure out what words are being said, never mind actually knowing what
the words mean. I can be patient about the meaning, but I at least want to know what word(s) are being spoken, and
television series are just too mumbled for me at this point in time.

The news programs are a bit better, since they are enunciating better, and that fits what I remember from learning
French: I could get news programs, and teachers in front of the classroom, so much better than casual conversation
or television series. So, for now, will be focussing on news programs and audiobooks with the text right there.

Parallel texts are another quandary: I keep coming across certain phrases and turns of phrase repeatedly, which,
when translated, seem to mean something different every time. So I've gone back to my course books, because I'm
finding, with every chapter I can review (even if I don't do the "productive" activities, like speaking or rewriting the
example sentences), I learn more about the idiosyncrasies that every language has, and which sometimes are more
quickly learned by being made explicit.

For example, the "je" ending on words, which makes them either familiar or diminutive, depending on the context.
Or the use of the word "mee" in a phrase, which can mean so many different things, which are not immediately clear
from the story.

I've been going back to Michel Thomas, and also Assimil and the Routledge Colloquial Dutch course; the latter two
are very good for the mini-explanations they give about Dutch language peculiarities. Every time I stop to review a
lesson or two, I find things which are pretty much immediately useful in my novel reading and listening.

Two steps forward, one step back; I'll get there eventually!
2 persons have voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 

Message 15 of 18
09 February 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Going back and reviewing the Michel Thomas Foundation course has been a huge help. The teacher's voice is
incredibly clear, and soothing almost, and I can hear the accent I'd like to imitate so much better than on TV or on
the radio. Yes, it's artificial and abnormally slow and enunciated, but, in my mind, you have to understand "perfect"
speech before you can get around to understanding "normal" speech, with its mumbles, abbreviations, and
imperfections.

I'll never forget when I was learning French: I would get so frustrated hearing people say "T'as pas ..." when the
written was "Tu n'as pas...". It took a long time of enunciating the full set of words to understand why that was a
"normal" spoken French construction, and to understand it, and others like it.

Which brings me to another language learning point: knowing what kind of learner you are is so important,
particularly for languages, but I'm sure it must carry over to other subjects. I'm sure I've mentioned this before
(middle age brain freeze here!), but one anecdote will illustrate the point.

Back in 1995 (early days of the internet, and I didn't yet have a computer), I was doing an TEFL (Teaching English as
a Foreign Language) certificate program in Paris. One day we came to class, and there was a new teacher in the front
of the room, who told us we would be spending an hour learning a new language, to experience what it was like to
be a learner again - since most of us already spoke decent French, and it might have been awhile since we were
"new" language learners.

The teacher proceeded to spend the next hour speaking to us in Dutch, which none of us had encountered
previously. She spoke to us in Dutch, expecting us to repeat after her, and then ask each other questions.

Well, I realized pretty quickly that her method wasn't working well for me: I was freezing up while trying desperately
to make sense of her nonsensical speech. This lasted for a good 30 minutes, until she finally turned on the overhead
projector, and showed us the written language we had been trying to understand and speak. All of a sudden, it all
became clear, and I was able to finish the class with flying colors, because I could SEE (and spell) the words that I
couldn't make sense of by just hearing.

This episode really clarified for me the need to understand your own learning style, and to adapt any learning
method you might encounter to fit your own needs. Some people are Visual learners (like me), some are Aural, some
need to move - I think it's called Kinesthetic learners, and so on. (This also greatly influenced the way I taught, but
that's a story for another day.)

In my case, when using the Michel Thomas course, for example, I have to take this purely aural course (no written
support materials, when used as intended), and adapt it to my visual style. So while I'm listening to the questions
and answers of the listening materials, I'm sitting at my computer doing a "dictee," as the French say: I'm typing
everything I hear, or typing what I think the student response will be, and then check based on the spoken answer.

This helps in two ways: it helps to focus my mind on the listening (if I have nothing to LOOK at, my mind wanders),
and also help to reinforce what I'm hearing, by seeing the words on the screen.

I do the same thing when listening to the Assimil course: while the audio is playing, I'm following along with the
book. Eventually I might drop the book, and just type what I hear, but it's all the same principle: I'm using my own
learning style to adapt the course for my own needs.

So while I know the listening component of learning a language is important, I find it pretty useless for me in the
beginning stages if I don't have some visual support (like a book, or subtitles in a TV show or film). This has helped
clarify what I need to do when learning a language, to have the most effective materials.

Edited by VivianJ5 on 09 February 2014 at 11:58am

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 

Message 16 of 18
23 February 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Been negligent with this log, but have a excuse - whether it's good or not depends on your point of view, I suppose.
Have been having long discussions with my husband, regarding his job and the situation at his company, and it's
looking very likely that we will be leaving the Netherlands sometime in the next year to move back to the U.S.

This has, obviously, put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm for learning Dutch at this point. Of course, it makes
sense, that only a couple of months after finally getting serious about learning the language where I'm living, I
would find out I'm leaving. I could continue with my Dutch studies, but it's feeling a little pointless at this stage,
especially since I could really use some refresher time with my French, and would love to re-activate the Italian I
studied for so many years when I was younger, and the Spanish I barely touched on 30 years ago...

So many languages, so little time! I still find Dutch a fascinating language, well worth learning in theory, but
considering how often I'd use it in the future, and the probability of speaking it after we move away...well, I'm
feeling less motivated for Dutch, and more motivated for French and Italian.

To be continued...

Edited by VivianJ5 on 23 February 2014 at 9:52pm

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version