Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 73 of 95
17 May 2015 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Somewhere in the basement of the HTLAL Inspectorate....

Inspector : Ahh. Come in.
Mooby : What's all this about? I just came here to write my log...
Inspector : Sure, sure, just take a seat. This won't take long.
Mooby : Is this strictly necessary?
Inspector : Yes. It is. We have alarming evidence of, how can I put this.....irregularities.
Mooby : ....if you mean that stuff about bisons, I can explain....
Inspector : ....I'm talking about more recent deviant behaviour...
Mooby : ....I'm listening.
Inspector : Tell me, what is the title of you log?
Mooby : You know what it is...
Inspector : Tell me anyway, just in case.
Mooby : 'One Sharp Knife' of course.
Inspector : Ahh! One. Good! So we can confirm categorically that it is ONE sharp knife.
Mooby : Er...where are we going with this? And can you get that lamp out of my face?
Inspector : Does the name 'Duolingo' mean anything to you?
Mooby : .....
Inspector : Well?
Mooby : Ok, ok, so I took a peek.
Inspector ..... ?
Mooby : Ok, so I dabbled. Just a little dabbling....for purely educational reasons.
Inspector : A little dabbling you say? Do you call 80 days of continual useage in 6 languages "a little dabbling"?
Mooby : Maybe a wee dip, that's all. No harm done.
Inspector : The evidence points to the contrary. German - Level 6. Spanish - Level 5. This is clearly getting out of hand. Remember, you allied your log to the Conservatives, and we valued your support, we admired your stern, narrow perfectionism. Now it appears that you have betrayed us and joined the Liberal Faction - those vagabonds!
Mooby : Can I write my log now?
Inspector : Disappointing, Mooby, disappointing.
Mooby : ...my log?
Inspector : We will be watching. You may go.

Anki = 5410
Hours studied = 78 (Total this year : 472)
Pages read so far this year = 1132

Reading is going steadily, although I'd like to increase the rate. I'd love to reach 4000 pages this year which equates to 1 million words, which is achievable as long as I don't drop below 15 pages a day. I'm half way through a new book 'Ekspedycja Ra' by Thor Heyerdahl the Norwegian explorer. Naturally, a book about building and sailing a reed boat from Africa to South America is going to mention the word 'reed' a lot. Unfortunately, the Polish word is trzcina, and trying to voice the first five letters without spitting my teeth out is a real challenge, even if I read it silently! It's giving me plenty of pronunciation practise, and a sore tongue.
Reading has taken over listening for now, although I listen to a short podcast now and again just to convince myself that the human mouth is capable of constructing such sounds.

I've deliberately not been adding much to Anki in order to tighten up the slack (new words added but not seen until weeks later). I have too many young words, about 16%, and I'd like to get half of them to maturity. With too many new and young words flooding the system, I'm forgetting more words than I used to, so I'd like to consolidate for a couple of months.

Words of the Month
zajadać Imp. - 'to gobble', 'to tuck in', 'to gorge'. She sat in front of the television and gobbled chocolates ('siedziała przed telewizorem i zajadała czekoladki').
pobłażliwy - 'lenient', 'indulgent'.
cera - 'complexion'. She was tall, with red hair, an oval face and a healthy complexion ('była wysoka, z rudymi włosami, owalną twarzą i zdrową cerą')
hołd - 'homage', 'tribute'. In tribute to someone (w hołdzie komuś).
besztać - 'to scold', 'to slate' give a talking to. My parents are scolding me ('rodzice besztają mnie')

May's Track
As it's May, it has to be Młody Maj

EDIT: 'peak' should be 'peek' (how embarassing)

Edited by Mooby on 20 May 2015 at 8:30pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 74 of 95
03 June 2015 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 

Leaving Mother England

Która to planeta -
jedna na lewo?
Tak, tam!
Ten mały czerwony światek z tajemniczych chmur.
Sprawdzę mój dziennik - prawie pięć lat odkąd zacząłem podróż.
Planetka nadal wydaje się taka malutka
Staram się zmienić trasę
ale czerwony klejnot w niebie wabi mnie bliżej.
Mój polski rubin
z sznurem białych pereł.
Blisko, ale nie wystarczająco blisko
aby uciec grawitacji planety domowej, "Anglia".
Angielski cień ciężkie pada na mnie -
jak długo przed wejściem na nowej orbicie?

I know I'll have made a few errors - please feel free to correct.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5524 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 75 of 95
05 June 2015 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:

Leaving Mother England

Która to planeta -
jedna na lewo?

pierwsza na lewo

Mooby wrote:

ale czerwony klejnot w niebie wabi mnie bliżej.

klejnot na niebie

Mooby wrote:

Angielski cień ciężkie pada na mnie -
jak długo przed wejściem na nowej orbicie?

ciężko (an adverb)

jak długo do wejścia na nową orbitę

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 76 of 95
05 June 2015 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
@ pesahson : wielkie dzięki!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 77 of 95
29 June 2015 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 5444
Hours studied = 89 (Total this year : 561)
Pages read so far this year = 1470

Reading and Anki, once again, have taken the lion's share of my time. My new book is yet another watery adventure story, 'Zwariowana Łódka', by the Canadian author and environmentalist Farley Mowat. My Polish vocabulary concerning all things maritime has certainly expanded. As well as Radio Trójka, I've been listening to interviews produced by Wrocław Polytechnic (Styk Telewizja Politechniki Wrocławskiej). It's nice to see the streets of Wrocław again.

Words of the Month
częstować Imp. - 'to offer' help somebody to something. Today, I'm offering doughnuts to the clients ('Dziś częstuję pączkami klientów'). Help yourself! ('Częstuj się!)
oburącz - 'with both hands' adv. Hold it with both hands ('Trzymaj go oburącz').
krocie plur. - 'a fortune', 'lots', 'hundreds of thousands'. They're spending hundreds of thosands on heating ('wydają krocie na ogrzewanie').
spowijać Imp. - 'to shroud', 'to wreath', 'to envelope'. Dense fog was shrouding the island ('gęsta mgła spowijała wyspę').
szpik - 'marrow'. Bone marrow ('szpik kostny').

June's Track
Float off with the 80's classic 'Ships in the Sky' - Statki na niebie.

Edited by Mooby on 29 June 2015 at 9:32pm

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4926 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 78 of 95
03 July 2015 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Reading through your log, I have the impression that you've made a lot of progress. How is your reading these days? Did you have any break-throughs, or has it been a gradual process? Do you still look up most unknown words?

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 79 of 95
03 July 2015 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi Bakunin,
Well, impressions can be deceptive! However I do think my reading has progressed a lot. I can read with more comfort, gain comprehension without too much analysis, and simply enjoy the story. I sometimes get into that state of 'flow' you mentioned, although I don't always sustain it. I don't note down every unknown word like I used to. Instead, I read the first page of the day outloud and make a note of unknown words only on that page. Afterwards I read as extensively as I can. So only the first page is read intensively. I might look up a word on other pages if it frequently pops up or is annoying me.
Progress is steady and gradual. I'm enjoying it, and reading is something I look forward to doing. I have also noticed that my listening has improved even though I've been listening to fewer podcasts.
Having experienced progress gives me the confidence and assurance to keep going. It's a motivator.

Thanks for your encouragement and insights. All the best.

Edited by Mooby on 03 July 2015 at 7:44pm

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4926 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 80 of 95
03 July 2015 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Great to hear! I admire your perseverance (ignoring your dabbling in six other languages for the moment… hehe)! Polish is such a beautiful language…

Combining intensive and extensive reading sounds like a smart idea. It gives you both - the good feeling to grow your vocabulary in a tangible way, and the pleasure of just reading and getting lost in the story.

Since you’re posting links to songs, do you know Czesław Śpiewa and their album Debiut? It can come across as a bit strange, but there are some real gems on it. For me, Poland has always had two faces: ‘the East’ and ‘the neighbor’, and this album feels exactly the same, Eastern and at the same time neighborly (if that is a word).

All the best for your Polish!

Edited by Bakunin on 03 July 2015 at 9:17pm

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version