Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 89 of 95
31 October 2015 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 5571
Hours studied = 42 (Total this year : 801)
Pages read so far this year = 3010

This has been such a slow month, my most unproductive for a long time. I'm nearing the end of Lord Jim, which is a relief. I'll find something easier next, and get back to more listening.

Kraków was great. Touristy, but great. I haven't had the motivation to write anything about it (maybe later), but here's the cheesecake I was dreaming of.....

Actually, my brother ate this one (at Słodki Wierzynek). I got a small sample though, delicious!
I managed to carry out most of my transactions in Polish, e.g taxis, restaurants, the hotel, museums etc. The longest conversations I had were with taxi drivers, and after a few trips they began to sound the same. Listening was hard, but I understood enough to keep up.

Words of the Month
okap - 'eave'. Under the eaves of the roof ('pod okapami dachu').
przylgnąć per. - 'to stick (to)', 'to cling (to)'. The dust which stuck to us... ('proch, który przylgnął do nas....').
jednostajny - 'monotonous', 'uniform'.
> wyrabiać imp. - 'to produce', 'to make'. I'm barely making it... ('ledwo wyrabiam...').
> wyrobić per. - 'to produce', 'to make'. He didn't make the bend and drove into a roadside shop ('nie wyrobił się na zakręcie i wjechał w przydrożny sklep').

October's Track
Margaret - Smak Radości

Edited by Mooby on 31 October 2015 at 11:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 90 of 95
30 November 2015 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Is anyone still out there in the HTLAL logosphere?
Sometimes it seems only ghosts are reading, but here goes:

Anki = 5577
Hours studied = 25 (Total this year : 826)
Pages read so far this year = 3238

The stats don't lie. I've really slacked off lately. Reading 'Lord Jim' was tough and I probably should have abandoned it for later. Anyway, it's done now and I'm on to a short book 'Wróble Nocy' by Irena Bączkowska. Easier reading, but not fully comprehensible.
Anki reviews are intermittant, so some words are taking time to mature.
Listening and grammar studies account for an hour this month.
But I've had slow periods before, and I expect the motivation to return. My target of reading 4000 pages this year is still do-able, but I'm going to have to knuckle down.

Words of the Month
uświetnić per. - 'to grace', 'lend prestige', 'add splendour'. He graced the event with his prescence ('uświetnił wydarzenie swą obecnością').
upłynąć per. - 'to elapse', 'go by'. No more than seven minutes had elapsed ('nie upłynęło więcej niż siedem minut').
żużel - 'slag', 'cinder', 'speedway motorsport'.
koronka - 'lace'.
piana / pianka - 'foam'. Soap lather ('piana mydlana').
łuszczyć się imp. - to peel off', 'flake'. The skin is flaking ('łuszczy się skóra'). The paint was peeling off ('lakier się łuszczy').

November's Track
Natalia Nykiel - Bądź Duży

Edited by Mooby on 30 November 2015 at 6:42pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 91 of 95
01 December 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Is anyone still out there in the HTLAL logosphere?
Sometimes it seems only ghosts are reading, but here goes:

Anki = 5577
Hours studied = 25 (Total this year : 826)
Pages read so far this year = 3238

The stats don't lie. I've really slacked off lately. Reading 'Lord Jim' was tough and I probably should have abandoned it for later. Anyway, it's done now and I'm on to a short book 'Wróble Nocy' by Irena Bączkowska. Easier reading, but not fully comprehensible.
Anki reviews are intermittant, so some words are taking time to mature.
Listening and grammar studies account for an hour this month.
But I've had slow periods before, and I expect the motivation to return. My target of reading 4000 pages this year is still do-able, but I'm going to have to knuckle down.

Words of the Month
uświetnić per. - 'to grace', 'lend prestige', 'add splendour'. He graced the event with his prescence ('uświetnił wydarzenie swą obecnością').
upłynąć per. - 'to elapse', 'go by'. No more than seven minutes had elapsed ('nie upłynęło więcej niż siedem minut').
żużel - 'slag', 'cinder', 'speedway motorsport'.
koronka - 'lace'.
piana / pianka - 'foam'. Soap lather ('piana mydlana').
łuszczyć się imp. - to peel off', 'flake'. The skin is flaking ('łuszczy się skóra'). The paint was peeling off ('lakier się łuszczy').

November's Track
Natalia Nykiel - Bądź Duży

Most of the regular members have moved over to the new forum & upgraded software. http://forum.language-learners.org/

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 92 of 95
02 December 2015 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
I'll second that. Due to all the problems with the forum and the lack of attention/upgrades/neglect by the administrator. Most of us moved to the new forum where you'll find most of your old friends, some new cool tools to play with and even some people learning Polish. I miss you over there. I don't come here much these days anymore.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5509 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 93 of 95
15 December 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Allegro, taki polski e-bay, zrobił współczesne wersje polskich legend. Jak na razie wyszły dwa filmiki. Smok (o smoku wawelskim) i Twardowsky o Panu Twardowskim. Nawet niezłe. Są po polsku z napisami angielskimi.

TWARDOWSKY

SMOK

W pierwszym filmiku jest piosenka, którą strasznie lubię. To taki polski klasyk. Śpiewana przez Marka Grechutę, należy do gatunku "poezji śpiewanej".

Dni których nie znamy

Edited by pesahson on 15 December 2015 at 6:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 94 of 95
31 December 2015 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
END OF YEAR REPORT

@ rdearman + iguanamon: Thanks guys. I've hovered between the two forums; reluctant to break the continuity of my log in it's current format, but missing the interaction evident on the new forum. I like the general layout and colours of the 'old' forum, and there's a nostalgic pull to keep me here. But it's probably time to transfer to a new home, one with a future, and leave Planet HTLAL to continue it's lonely decay.

@ pesahon: Bardzo dziękuję za wsparcie. Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku :)

Anki = 5582
Hours studied = 76 (Total this year : 902)
Pages read so far this year = 4008

I read like crazy this month to hit my target of 4000 pages (eq. 1,000,000 words). I'm very pleased to have made it. Reading fluency, speed, comprehension all improved. My grasp of grammar which I had studied became stronger, but unfamiliar grammar will need specific attention. I'd like to repeat the reading challenge in 2016, but I need a listening challenge as well, since listening was my Achilles Heel during my trip to Kraków. I'd love to set myself a moderate output challenge too, just to balance out skill development and maybe gain synergy. Either way, I must get out of my comfort zone (passive input, esp. reading and vocabulary acquistion).

King of the Castle
Back in January 2013, I started my puzzle-motivational challenge (3000 piece Malbork Castle). Nearly 3 years later, on Christmas Day, I put the final piece down, and am now King of the Castle :)   Each piece represents one hour of study, so here's what 3000 hours study looks like:

To prove my insanity, I've now got a 4000 piece puzzle of Moszna Castle. Please feel free to arrest me if I start talking about further castles.

Words of the Month
filia - 'branch' shop, bank etc. We have branches in 30 cities ('mamy filie w 30 miastach').
wszerz - 'across', 'breadth'. Twenty paces across ('dwadzieścia kroków wszerz').
ogniwo - 'link' + 'cell'. The missing link ('brakujące ogniwo'). Fuel cell (' ogniwo paliwowe').
wylegiwać się - 'to lie about', 'to sprawl'. The cat laid about in the sun ('kot wylegiwał się na słońcu').
heca - 'fun', 'a lark'. What a lark! ('co za heca!') He stole the ambulance for fun ('ukradł ambulans dla hecy').

December's Track
Pieśń Sobótkowa

Happy New Year !!

Edited by Mooby on 31 December 2015 at 5:45pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 95 of 95
29 January 2016 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
I am continuing this log on the 'new forum' - here.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version