Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5864 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 33 of 95
05 June 2014 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
@ pesahson: Nigdy nie próbowałem zapiekanki, faktycznie nigdy nie o nich słyszałem. Wyglądają jak polska wersja pizzy. Chociaż już zjadłem śniadanie, czuję się głodny! Kiedyś lubię gotować, ale w te dni wolę jeść! No, gotuję proste zdrowe posiłki, często z kurczaka albo tuńczyka i warzyw. Niestety, nie jestem wielbicielem wędliny, ogórków i kwaśnej sałatki. Natomiast, bardzo lubię między innymi, polski sernik, zupę z ciemnym chlebem, szarlotkę i pierogi z cebulką lub kwaśną śmietaną.

@ Zireael: Yes indeed. I have walking difficulties so a wheelchair is handy for getting around town. My recent trip to Wrocław gave me confidence in my ability to speak Polish and in coping with travel. Some of the steps into shops and houses are very steep in Poland, and they don't always have handrails, which made it difficult for me. But all the people I met were very helpful.

Anki = 4633
Hours Studied = 42 (Total this year: 319)

I finally got through the turgid 'Spadkobierca' by Jan Łysakowski. The style was old-fashioned, formal and convoluted. I know common sense should have made me abandon the book earlier, but I pig-headedly persisted. Then chucked it in the bin. My new book is a breath a fresh air; 'Nowe Przygody Mikołajka' which I bought in Wrocław. I'm loving it. With each story only a few pages long and written in simple language, I can get through a couple a day. Although, I usually read one straight through to practise getting the jist, then re-read it to extract words, phrases and points of grammar, some of which I add to Anki. The stories are enjoyable and not too taxing.

I finished chapter 9 of the 2001 edition of 'Colloquial Polish'. Despite my preference for the older edition, I'm gleaning some useful things from this one.

Listening comprehension is still developing at glacial speed. I listen to at least one radio podcast a day, but rarely watch TV. I may try getting back into Samo Życie or chat shows. And I should make an effort with Real Polish - I just fell out of the habit.

Word of the Week
Dręczyć - 'to torment', 'badger, 'bother'. I badger him with questions ( 'dręczę go pytaniami'). Add się for the reflexive: e.g Why torment yourself if nothing happened? ('dlaczego się dręczysz, jeśli się nic nie stało?').

Edited by Mooby on 06 June 2014 at 12:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4128 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 34 of 95
06 June 2014 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Listening is my worst area now. I got so fed up with Agnieszka that I gave up on her and her drama! It's not even so much that listening is "hard" it's just an effort to find things that I WANT to listen to.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5864 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 35 of 95
11 June 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
@FK: Ahh, the whinnying Agnieszka! I gave up long ago, but I might fast forward a few dozen episodes and see what's happened. Not that I really care, just out of mild curiosity.

Street Signs
While I was in Wrocław, my language antennae began twitching everytime I saw the words writ large or in public. Much to the bemusement of passers-by, I spent ages pointing my camera at utilitarian (and very unexciting) street signs, advertising hoardings and name plates. As well as confirming my language nerd status, the resulting images gave me some new vocabulary and grammar constructions.

Here's just a few of the less tedious ones:

1. Przejście Garncarskie 'Potter's Passage'
A street sign on one of the numerous trade passageways off the market square.

2. Dedication plaque

- Jesteśmy Polakami
- Wiara naszych ojców jest wiarą naszych dzieci
- Polak Polakowi bratem
- Co dzień Polak narodowy służy
- Polska Matką naszą, nie wolno mówić o matce źle

- We are Poles
- The faith of our fathers is the faith of our children
- Pole with brother Pole
- Every day a Pole serves his nation
- Poland our mother, you're not allowed to talk bad about your mother

I think that's a fair translation (corrections welcome). I've omitted the last, partially obscured sentence:

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5864 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 36 of 95
11 June 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
3. Graffitti
This declaration of love scrawled on Tumski Bridge caused much amusement among my Polish friends back home when I showed it. A young (presumably) man nicknamed 'little fish' or 'fishy-kins' or 'wee fish' or some other cute diminutive (how Poles love diminutives!) tells his girl Asie (diminutive for 'Joanna') that he loves her. She responds in kind - note the different declensions of their names, which I'm still trying to work out.
They date and time it (4.44 in the morning) and add a picture of a hedgehog:

Ryba = 'fish'

Edited by Mooby on 11 June 2014 at 1:56pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5864 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 37 of 95
11 June 2014 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
4. Cluster of Signs
Some people take photos of cathedrals, panoramic landscapes, friends fooling around on the beach or grinning relatives holding ice-creams. I take photos of things like dog-waste bins! Here's a nice cluster of signs, quite what they all denote, I'm not sure. The two main ones read:

Urząd Miejski
Wrocławia
Biuro Współpracy z Uczelniami Wyższymi

City Hall
Wroclaw
Office for University Cooperation

Edited by Mooby on 15 June 2014 at 1:06pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5864 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 38 of 95
11 June 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
5. Blood Centre
And finally....
Regionalne Centrum Krwiodawstwa i Krwiolecznictwa -
'Regional Blood Donation and Haemotherapy Centre' (on 'Red Cross Street'):

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4410 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 39 of 95
11 June 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Some of the steps into shops and houses are very steep in Poland, and they don't always have handrails, which made it difficult for me. But all the people I met were very helpful.

That's because the older buildings were done before the law got reformed and the public buildings were required to be accessible.

And besides, many shop-owners just don't care, 'to tylko jeden schodek...' 'tylko dwa/trzy/cztery schodki...'

You can forget about the handrails usually, too.

I use crutches for walking, so all those steps and stairs are a major annoyance, which turns into a problem if I have to walk up four flights of stairs because the lift at my university is out of order. But for a person in a wheelchair, Poland is hell, because you can't get anywhere, not even in major cities.

1 person has voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5487 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 40 of 95
11 June 2014 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
I really enjoy those nuggets from your visit to Poland! I approve of your desire to photograph uncommon things :).

The words "krwiodawstwo" and "krwiolecznictwo" look like major tongue twisters. I usually pass those plaques without noticing. It's great to see your country and language through the eyes of others.

Btw, I notice that Asia and Rybcio made errors. I should be "Kocham AsiĘ/RybciĘ" or "Kocham RybciA".

Also, one of your translations sounds off to me. "Polak (Mianownik) Polakowi(Celownik) bratem (Narzędnik)" - Pole is a brother to (his fellow) Pole. A variation on the quote from Plutarch - Man is a wolf to (his fellow) man - Homo homini lupus est - Człowiek człowiekowi wilkiem.

Edited by pesahson on 11 June 2014 at 8:07pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version