Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 41 of 95
21 June 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
@ Zireael: Przykro mi, że chodzisz o kulach. Korzystam z wózka inwalidzkiego od czasu do czasu, gdy jestem zmęczony lub planuję długą podróż. Niektóre grupy podnoszą świadomość trudności z dostępem dla osób niepełnosprawnych; ten przykład w Warszawie.

@ pesahson: dzięki za poprawki, więcej bryłki wkrótce.

Anki = 4653
Hours Studied = 41 (Total hours this year: 360)

I've completed 3 more chapters of Colloquial Polish [2001 ed.] and am on chapter 13. A lot is familiar of course, but it is helping to consolidate my understanding of basic grammar. It's showing me that my grasp of the basics is good but a bit patchy, and that there are gaps to fill. Sometimes I spend too much time trying to figure out grammar or syntax that is two or three stages too advanced for where I'm at. I have advanced grammar workbooks to look forward to later.

I've read a few more stories of 'Nowe Przygody Mikołajka' - undoubtedly the best book I've bought for reading practice, and very good value for 630 pages of material.

I have got back to Real Polish, some of the recordings the author uses are spoken very quickly or have distracting noises, but overall it's been worth it so I'll persist.
I'm also listening to a collection of recordings, Londyńczycy2012, undertaken by the Muzeuem PRL-u.

Word of the Week
Pójść sobie - 'to go off', 'to take oneself off / away' somewhere. He went off to make a sandwich in the kitchen ('poszedł sobie zrobić kanapkę w kuchni').
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 42 of 95
02 July 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 4691
Hours studied = 33 (Total hours this year: 393)

Just a quick update.
Not much exciting to report, just chipping away with reading (Nowe Przygody Mikołaj), listening (radio podcasts, one DVD) and grammar (nearly finished chapter 14 of Colloquial Polish).
I have been writing more though; a few emails plus a translation of a story I wrote years ago. Although writing is slow, I'm encouraged that more often than not I select the appropriate word and can see improvements in declensions and conjugations. I'm also getting better at syntax and phraseology. Expressing things naturally, employing idioms and slang and developing style are skills that are taking me a long time to master. My 'English brain' is slowly developing an alternative format for Polish, however reluctantly.

Word of the Week
Azot - 'nitrogen'. Nitric acid ('kwas azotowy')

Edited by Mooby on 02 July 2014 at 7:12pm

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5509 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 43 of 95
04 July 2014 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Znalazłam dziś TO na stronie głównej internetowego wydania guardiana.
Świetnie zdjęcia ukazujące życie rodziny fotografa na polskiej wsi.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 44 of 95
04 July 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Dziękuję za to, bardzo ciekawe zdjęcia. Może każdy nosi mask gazowy w polskiej wsi i czyta bajki dla swoich psów! Tak czy owak, Sebastian jest utalentowanym fotografem.
1 person has voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5509 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 

Message 45 of 95
23 July 2014 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Co tam słychać, Mooby? Zamilkłeś coś :).
Rozumiem, rozumiem. Pewnie dałeś się porwać latu. ;)

Nie wiem czy znasz i lubisz polską muzykę folkową, ale ostatnio często słuchałam Kapeli ze Wsi Warszawa, która robi ciekawe rzeczy z polską muzyką tradycyjną. Kilka linków:

Musiałaś ty dziewce

Ej ty, gburski synie

Kołysanka konopna

Nie przejmuj się jeżeli trudno Ci będzie zrozumieć, co śpiewają. Używają gwary w której pojawiają się archaizmy i niestandardowe formy gramatyczne.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 46 of 95
23 July 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Cześć Magdalena,
Wciąż żyję! Ale masz rację, niedawno byłem nieco cicho.
No, studiuję mniej w tej chwili ponieważ mój brat jest u mnie. To jest moja wymówka, jakkolwiek kiepska :)

Bardzo dziękuję za linki. Przyznaję, że nie mam bardzo wyrafinowanego gustu w związku z muzyką.
Niektóre muzyka ludowa może brzmieć bardzo tęskna lub nostalgiczna, ale ten zespół który wspomniałaś jest na pewno ciekawy. Nie dużo rozumiałem, ale to nic dziwnego, bo rzadko rozumiem teksty piosenek!

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5509 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 

Message 47 of 95
24 July 2014 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Wizyta brata to całkiem dobra wymówka. Jesteś usprawiedliwiony ;).

Tekst pierwszej piosenki jest bardzo prosty i krótki, więc go przytoczę:

Musiałaś ty dziewce (version of dziewczę, dziewczyna)co umieć, że nie mogę o Tobie zapomnieć x2
Zapomniałam matkę i ojca, a Ciebie nie mogę do końca x2

or

Zapomniałam siostrę i brata, a Ciebie nie mogę do kata

I like the nostalgic feel of this song.

"Oj ty gburski synie" is about a guy who is searching for a rich girl to marry. The lyrics are from the point of view of a girl who tells him that she's poor and he should look elsewhere.

Now I've noticed I switched to English halfway through the post. I'll leave it like that.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5886 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 48 of 95
24 July 2014 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
A strange thing happened this morning.
I was looking for something to watch on BBC online, and found this: Poland Stories or "A'Pholainn" in Scottish Gaelic, the language in which the programme is recorded. This episode is available to watch online up to 26 July (19.29 hours GMT) - so there's only 2 days left to see it.
At 30 minutes into the program, there is a clip of musicians practising. I recognised their faces, and yes, they turned out to be the Warsaw Village Band.
Coincidence or what?
Hearing Gaelic and Polish with a smattering of English was interesting.

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version