Poland
Joined 5515 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 49 of 95
25 July 2014 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
It is an interesting coincidence.
I wanted to watch the episode but unfortunately it's geo locked.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5892 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 50 of 95
25 July 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Jaka szkoda. Możesz sprobować ten link.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5515 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 51 of 95
25 July 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Nope, it's still not working. It says it's for UK residents only. Radio shows are available worldwide, but not videos I guess.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5892 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 52 of 95
25 July 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
And all video searches for it end up at the BBC, so I'm afraid we're out of luck.

Anki = 4723
Hours studied = 50 (Total hours this year: 443)

A friend gave me Ludzie Na Walizkach to read. I think she was given the book by someone herself and passed it onto me. I'm using it strictly for extensive reading and have read about 70 pages so far.
I've listened to lots of podcasts on Radio Trójka, usually under the 'Społeczeństwo' heading.
However, I'm too distracted at the moment to do much hard-core studying, and have paused 'Colloquial Polish' until I get back from seeing friends in 2 weeks time.

Words of the Week
Oddziaływać Imper. - 'to affect', 'to have an affect'. The weather affects your mood ('pogoda oddziałuje na twój nastrój')
Potępiać Imper. - 'to condemn', to denounce'. Do you condemn the behaviour of the minority? ('potępiasz zachowanie mniejszości?').
Aż tyle - 'that much', 'so much'. I don't want that much ('nie chcę aż tyle')
Znikomy - 'negligible', 'minimal', 'insignificant'. Sanctions will have a negligible impact on the economy ('sankcje będą miały znikomy wpływ na gospodarkę').
Bursztyn - 'Amber' mineral. I recently enjoyed a fascinating podcast about Polish jewellery designers working with amber found along the Baltic coast. e.g Amber Ring. Just beautiful.

Edited by Mooby on 25 July 2014 at 6:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5892 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 53 of 95
07 September 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Anki = 4761
Hours studied = 78 (Total hours this year: 521)

While I was away last month, I got a lot of reading done and finished 'Ludzie na Walizkach'. I'm now reading Tak sobie myślę, by the actor Jerzy Stuhr, documenting his battle with cancer and his reflections on the theatre, politics and life in general. The main problems I'm having with it, are style (short note-like sentences) and syntax (somewhat cryptic).

I'm onto the last chapter (18) of Colloquial Polish, which I've been studying in fits and starts. I listen to podcasts most days and I am going to enrol on a 10 week Polish Conversation class, starting in December.

Words of the Week
Dąsać się = 'to sulk'. He sulked all day ('dąsał się przez cały dzień')
Harować = 'to toil', 'to labour', 'to slave'. I've been slaving like a wild donkey! ('harowałem jak dziki osioł!')
Ckliwy - 'mawkish', 'slushy' 'sickly'. Sob story ('ckliwa opowieść')
Jawny - 'open', 'overt', 'public'.

Tune of the Week
Za płotem - Jabłuszko
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5892 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 54 of 95
17 September 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
At the beginning of 2013, I bought a 3000 piece puzzle of Malbork Castle as a motivator. Every hour of study = one piece of the puzzle. It'll therefore take 3000 hours to complete - hopefully sometime next year.

Here's the progress so far, after 1810 hours:

I listened to a Radio Trójka podcast about Donald Tusk's Language Challenge - the former Prime Minister of Poland is expected to brush up his English and learn French as part of his newly elected role as President of the European Council starting 1st December this year.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5353 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 55 of 95
18 September 2014 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
That's an amazing idea Mooby. 1 piece for 1 hour. I'd definitely be framing that thing once it's completed. What a
great reminder it will be (and already is) of all you've accomplished.

Hope all's treating you well in Scotland!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5892 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 56 of 95
18 September 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
After I finish this one, if I haven't lost my motivation or gone raving mad, I've got Moszna Castle to look forward to. A whopping 4000 piece-er.
At my glacial rate of learning, I reckon I could build both castles for real, by the time I get to basic fluency in Polish!

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version