Poland
Joined 5513 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 57 of 95
25 September 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
After I finish this one, if I haven't lost my motivation or gone raving mad, I've got Moszna Castle to look forward to. A whopping 4000 piece-er.
At my glacial rate of learning, I reckon I could build both castles for real, by the time I get to basic fluency in Polish!

Moszna Castle, I didn't even know it existed. Moszna btw in Polish means scrotum. It's an unfortunate name for a city ;). But it's better then Biały Kał or Pupki or Chójnik, which all exist.

Edited by pesahson on 25 September 2014 at 5:00pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5890 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 58 of 95
10 November 2014 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
@ pesahson : Thanks for the amusing place names, I'll add 'moszna' to Anki and never forget it :)

Anki = 4902
Hours Studied = 184 (Total hours this year: 705)

I've not updated this log for ages, but I was burning out last month, and I experienced a regression in many areas; vocabulary retention, declensions, listening comprehension. Maybe it's varying the routine that had become a bit stale, but my motivation is a little better since I started writing on Lang-8 and reading new material.

Word Selection
dogadywać się imp. - "to get along (with)", "come to terms / an understanding". I don't get along with my parents ('nie dogaduję się z rodzicami')
stronniczy - "biased", "partial". Biased in favour of... ('stronniczy na korzyść...')
objazd - "detour", "diversion", "by-pass".
oschły - "snippy", "caustic", "standoff-ish".
czerpać imp. - "to draw", to derive" + "to ladle". He drew his inspiration from nature ('czerpał inspiracje z natury')

Idiom of the Month
masz babo placek! - 'a fine kettle of fish!' or 'Houston we have a problem!'
This is a strange idiom for me and I'd appreciate comments. It would appear to read something like: 'you have, my old girl, a pie'.
I came across it in a book from the 1950's, so it may not be very common today.

Film of the Month
I went to watch the excellent Bogowie at the cinema last week. A story about Zbigniew Religa, a pioneer in heart transplants. I had to rely on the sub-titles for most of it.

Edited by Mooby on 10 November 2014 at 8:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5513 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 59 of 95
10 November 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Great to see another post!

"Masz babo placek" is a great excuse for a listening comprehension exercise. It was explained in Co w mowie piszczy and it's still very much in use today.

If you have trouble understanding the explanation, just ask.

It's great to see that Polish movies are shown abroad. I remember that quite recently Ida got rave reviews in the Guardian for example.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5890 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 60 of 95
04 December 2014 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
@ pesahson: Thanks for the radio link. I understand the idiom a little better now, although I did struggle to catch everything that was said.

Anki = 4973
Hours Studied = 70 (Total hours this year: 775)

In my first year or two of studying Polish, I bought quite a few grammar books. Some I started and never finished, others I haven't even looked at yet. I've read and digested both my editions of 'Colloquial Polish', so now I want to systematically complete books 1 & 2 of 'Polish in Four Weeks'. I got a third of the way through Book 1 last year, so I will quickly review this part, then continue from where I left off. Even though I have a good grasp of grammar basics, I still profit from regular and formal explanations, drills and exercises.

I'm currently reading a volume of 'Literatura Na Świecie'. The excerpts are short enough to start and finish in a single session, and the content varied and interesting. Some pieces use rare words, forms and fancy literary devices that are beyond me, but most is accessible. When I want a break from this, I go to my 'Nowe Przygody Mikołajka' for relief.

I listen to a podcast or two every day. I can sustain my concentration for longer, although I still 'zone out' if I'm tired, haven't slept well or the programme is too long. If I start to find it boring or the speaker's voice irritating / incomprehensible / too fast - I skip it and go to the next podcast. I'm learning to resist translating what I hear, and let natural comprehension dawn in whatever form. Sometimes I try to visualise what is being said, or engage emotionally, so that I'm connecting to the reality behind these sounds as directly and intuitively as possible (without filtering everything through English). If I just focus on the 'crest of the wave' i.e on the sound being uttered in real time and not what was said a moment ago, then I can sustain an overall understanding, if not all the details. It's walking the tightrope; if I think a fraction too long (analyse or translate), I lose my balance and fall.

The conversation class has been postponed to January, as the teacher has had to go to Poland.

Words of the Week
hodować Imp. - 'to grow', to breed', 'to keep'. He keeps pigeons ('hoduje gołębie')
obcas - 'heel' of shoe. How to walk in high heels ('jak chodzić na wysokich obcasach')
siać Imp. - 'to sow', 'to wreak', 'to spread'. The farmer sows the seed ('rolnik sieje ziarno'). The perfective aspect of this verb is Zasiać which gives us a nice phrase:
jak makiem zasiał literally 'as poppy seed sown'- a descriptive for something sleepy, quiet, hypnotic or dead. E.g. a deathly silence ('cisza jak makiem zasiał').

Edited by Mooby on 04 December 2014 at 11:59am

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5890 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 61 of 95
31 December 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
FINAL POST OF 2014

Anki = 5026
Hours Studied = 70
Total Hours Studied in 2014 = 845

Slow and steady, that's how it's been this year and overall I'm pretty happy. The highlight was my trip to Wrocław. It gave me a little practise of course, but also a lot of motivation to keep going. I would love to make another trip in 2015. Progress has been slower than anticipated, something I underestimated. Reading has improved the most, then listening. However, I didn't do nearly as much writing or speaking as planned.
The language is gradually becoming more comfortable, familiar and intuitive, but I still can't skim read well and I get tired listening to podcasts for longer than 15 minutes without a break.

I'm still interested in other languages, but have held off starting another for the moment. Sometimes my strong desire to spread my interest among several languages painfully conflicts with my equally strong desire to focus my interest on building up (sharpening) just the one.

Words of the Week
chrzanić imp. - 'to talk crap', 'to cock something up'. I'm talking crap because I'm tired ('ja to chrzanię, bo jestem zmęczony'). I'd be interested in the etymology of this word, if anyone could help, chrzan meaning 'horseradish'.
ustawiać imp. - 'to set', 'to set up'. I'm setting the volume on my phone ('ustawiam głośność w telefonie').
kijanka - 'tadpole'.
czaić się imp. - 'to lurk', 'to lie in wait'. Someone was lurking in the dark ('ktoś czaił się w ciemności').
ugór - 'fallow land'
plandeka - 'tarpaulin'.
dzida - 'spear'.
w razie czego - 'just to be safe' in case of something. Just to be safe I can pick you up from the airport ('w razie czego mogę odebrać cię z lotniska').
małomówny - 'taciturn', 'tight-lipped'.

Goodbye 2014.
'Żegnaj lato na Rok' Goodbye summer for the year' a song by Zdzisława Sośnicka.

Do zobaczenia w 2015 roku !!

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4436 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 62 of 95
01 January 2015 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
In 'ja chrzanię to, bo jestem zmęczony' the meaning of chrzanić (sth) is rather closer to 'I don't give a flying f**k about sth'.

In a general sense (without sth), you got the meaning right.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5890 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 63 of 95
26 January 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
@ Zireael: many thanks.

Anki = 5087
Hours studied = 82 (Total hours this year: 82)
Pages read so far this year = 149

I've taken a break from reading 'Nowe Przygody Mikołajka', and gone back to 'Kajtuś Czarodziej' by Janusz Korczak. The ease of reading and comprehending it has markedly improved from the last time I read it, about 2 years ago. I have a renewed apetite for reading, but I know I need to listen more, drill more, activate more....more....more.... But reading is still what I turn to most. It covers so many bases from vocabulary review (and acquisition), consolidating grammar, intuiting meaning, priming listening etc. I'm keeping a record of the number of pages I read, with each page equivalent to 250 words minimum.

My Polish Conversation class for Intermediates started two weeks ago. It's way too basic and I'm not getting much out of it so far. I'm going to ask the tutor if he would be willing to privately tutor me, but he's a busy man and tutoring is just a sideline to his main job.

Words of the Week
na domiar - 'on top of that'. On top of it all ('na domiar wszystkiego'). To make matters worse ('na domiar złego').
wgnieść per, - 'to dent'. He dented your car door ('wgniótł drzwi w twoim samochodzie').
czubek - 'tip', 'top'. The tip of the nose ('czubek nosa'). They are standing on tiptoes ('stoją na czubkach palców').
wacik - 'swab', 'dabber'. cotton pad.
co na to? - 'what does xxx have to say about it? What does you husband say to that? ('co na to pani mąż?')

January's Track
Funk with Trójkąty i Kwadraty 'Triangles and Squares' by Dawid Podsiadlo. Version with text.

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3402 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchA2

Message 64 of 95
28 January 2015 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
Greetings Mooby,

I love that you're studying polish and have been so dedicated for the last few years!
I have read all your log thoroughly (not a stalker i swear), and have been very
impressed with your progress.

I too am studying polish, as it is in my roots. I've only done maybe 80 hours maximum
but i feel like ive come such a long way! I only say this because as someone who has
been in the same situation maybe you could point me the right direction with resources
to use :)

Im currently using swan's first year polish. where should i go after this or work
simultaneously?

anyway

Powodzenia i do zobaczenia :)

Edited by Straya on 28 January 2015 at 9:13am

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version