United Kingdom
Joined 4473 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 9 of 31
06 January 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
betelgeuzah wrote:
Do you guys think this will be useful even when the language in question is almost 1=1 with your native language pronounciation and spelling wise?

I've pondered this a lot since Japanese and Finnish have very few differences (more voiced consonants and pitch accent in Japanese as the main ones). So when I see a new word I can guess how it's pronounced and I feel like I'm not getting anything useful out of the audio.

It has nothing to do with phonology nor spelling (you mean Finnish and Japanese are spelt the same? Poor people learning all these kanjis!), but more with hearing the same sentences many times to get patterns in your head. You could even make Finnish audio cards of poems if you wanted to remember them better.

emk wrote:
Aik wrote:
All of my cards are made using subs2srs, so the audio is basically free. I find words stick really well with it - sometimes if I can't remember a word, I can if I try and remember it in the voice of the character who says it.

Subs2srs is definitely the key piece here. Just find a movie with subs, rip it, run the whole thing through subs2srs, and presto! you've got ~900 cards. Delete at least 80% of these cards on first review, and you're in business.

Ah, thanks for mentioning this again, I had totally forgotten its existence, and that's probably something I need indeed soon :)
1 person has voted this message useful

betelgeuzah
Diglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4196 days ago

51 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 10 of 31
06 January 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
It has nothing to do with phonology nor spelling (you mean Finnish and Japanese are spelt the same? Poor people learning all these kanjis!), but more with hearing the same sentences many times to get patterns in your head. You could even make Finnish audio cards of poems if you wanted to remember them better.

How would this be different to reading the sentence in one's head?

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4473 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 

Message 11 of 31
06 January 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
How would this be the same? If you already had a native-like pronunciation and command of the language, then there would probably not be much difference, but since you're a learner, you surely have something to learn from hearing native pronunciation repeatedly.

Otherwise, people would just check up words in the dictionary and they would speak with a good accent, which is not the case.

betelgeuzah
Diglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4196 days ago

51 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 12 of 31
06 January 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
As I said JP and FI are almost 1=1 pronounciation wise and the exceptions are incredibly easy to grasp without hearing a single word (or incredibly hard to grasp without written information available). So what are these "patterns" that only a native speaker can put in my head?

Obviously you can't just start speaking perfectly, you need to practice speaking. No amount of listening will make you speak perfectly out of the gate, and neither will checking the dictionary.

And yeah the spelling is different, thanks for not being a dick about it.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 31
06 January 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
<obsolete>

Edited by Bao on 06 January 2014 at 6:54pm

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 14 of 31
06 January 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
I can't really comment on audio in Anki - it might be worthwhile, but I haven't tried it -, but here are a few other ideas how to practice listening comprehension as well as speaking:
- Shadowing: wearing an ear plug in just one ear, speak along to some podcast, recorded audio or whatever; repeat as many times as you're interested in the exercise or the content.
- Chorusing: cut out short to very short segments of recorded audio (whatever source is fine), and put it on endless-loop; speak along; 100 rounds will burn the phrase/sentence in your head and take only a few minutes, and often it's good fun; you can use audacity or some other free software to prepare this exercise
- Extensive listening: just listen to a lot of stuff, and then some more; you can alternate between paying attention and mentally wandering off (but then return as soon as you notice you've wandered off), don't worry if you don't understand everything; if you don't understand much at all, try to pick out individual words and phrases and enjoy catching them
- Intensive listening: choose a recording you're interested in and listen intently a few times; if you have the transcript, read it in between (or while) listening
- Transcribe audio: choose a recording you can understand quite well, and transcribe it, like a dictation exercise
- Try to guess ahead (advanced): when listening to some audio, try to guess ahead what the speaker will say next (try it in your native language first to see that it can be done)
- Forget about listening: watch something and become so engrossed in the content that you forget you're listening to a foreign language

These are just a few ideas to spice things up. There are many ways we can use audio to practice our second languages - and enjoy interesting content.

Edited by Bakunin on 06 January 2014 at 6:53pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4473 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 

Message 15 of 31
06 January 2014 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
betelgeuzah wrote:
As I said JP and FI are almost 1=1 pronounciation wise and the exceptions are incredibly easy to grasp without hearing a single word (or incredibly hard to grasp without written information available). So what are these "patterns" that only a native speaker can put in my head?

Obviously you can't just start speaking perfectly, you need to practice speaking. No amount of listening will make you speak perfectly out of the gate, and neither will checking the dictionary.

And yeah the spelling is different, thanks for not being a dick about it.

You can capture intonation, rhythm, assimilation, and since you're speaking of Japanese, pitch accent (which you rarely find in the dictionary, as far as I'm aware). But the repetition of audio will also make it stick better to your memory (using more channels is better? Some people here will be able to expand on the benefits for the brain, I'm sure). I don't see what's so hard to believe about the fact that using audio will help you: if you absolutely believe it won't help, by any means, don't do it. If you're actually curious (since you've been asking several times), trust what other learners have reported, and try it for yourself to see if it helps you.

For the spelling, I was trying to be humorous but probably haven't been very good at conveying it. Sorry.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4642 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 16 of 31
07 January 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
@Bakunin - Excellent tips on listening practice! Thank you for that!

OK, I am going to get rid of all TTS-generated audio from Anki. That will leave me with a miniscule amount of cards with native audio. It's probably not worth it to have a deck of audio cards that I will not add to that often (there are rarely full sentences/phrases I come across in native audio that I want to add as-is to Anki), so I will go ahead and delete all audio from Anki. I can put those native bits into my listening playlist on my Walkman, and find other ways to practice listening, as Bakunin suggested.

subs2SRS - Since this has been brought up many times already (and at the risk of diverting the thread in a different direction), the biggest question mark that is keeping me from doing subs2SRS (aside from the time factor - setting up, and although emk said the process is magically easy, surely it takes a lot of time for the program to go through an .mkv or an .mp4 as well as subtitle files and create ~900 cards - it already takes a lot of time to rip a DVD - and surely it takes a lot of time to delete 80% of cards during one's Anki time) is the fact that subtitles do not always match the audio, or at least that has been my experience with Japanese DVDs. Subtitles are meant to be easy to read in a few seconds, so they are often edited and made different from the audio. How does one deal with that when using subs2SRS?

Edited by kujichagulia on 07 January 2014 at 12:53am

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version