Canada
Joined 4117 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 25 of 57
27 June 2014 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
@Jeffers

There have been times where I've managed to keep to a schedule. I remember a month last
year where I did L-R in French, Japanese and Spanish for 1 hour every day along with 30
minutes of Assimil in Korean, Mandarin and some random Swedish studies mixed in. But
that was a one month thing and I didn't feel at all up to repeating the process any
time soon. The other experience I've had is when I did Remembering the Kanji in one
month or so and I basically sat down for 8 hours every day for 2 weeks and then 4-5
hours for another 2 weeks.

I can't really find the deciding factor that gave me the drive to complete these feats,
which would take an impressive amount of force for me to complete now. I assume that it
has to do with my natural mood swings and the intensity of my interest in foreign
languages at the time. I'm sure I'll have other similar experiences in the future where
I spend more time than necessary studying an exorbitant number of languages, but I
should probably just wait for it to come naturally and not push it every month to see
whether or not I'm up to it.

I think what'll be nice about studying in university is that I'll be forced to hit the
books a bit every day. I feel like at this point I wouldn't necessarily always be
willing to do that with German, for example. I have some German friends (who I normally
in English with) and have already made arrangements with them to skype somewhat
regularly when I start studying their language. The thing is, I'm probably going to be
more focused on French and Spanish, so having to study German in class (and picking up
a book every now and then when I feel like) will be nice.

To be honest, I'm quite excited to learn German. When I was little, I went on a trip to
Italy and Austria and remember loving Austria. When I got back, I signed up for German
classes at school and bought some self-study material. In the end, I didn't know what I
was doing and my teacher wasn't very encouraging despite the good marks I was getting,
so I gave up and never went back to it. I've always had the idea in the back of my mind
that I'd get back to it, so when I looked at my program and noticed that the only
language that interested me or that I hadn't already studied was German, I knew I'd
have no problem with that. I'm going to have to contain myself until September, though!

I'll hopefully get around to posting about what I've read, watched and listened to in
all my languages soon! Until then!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4687 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 26 of 57
27 June 2014 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
I was never a great student, so for me the motivation was always that I wanted to do
something, and rarely that I had to do whatever it took to get good grades.

When you get to German, you definitely have to check out:
Deutsche Welle

If you scroll down the page, on the right there's a set of links to the different
levels, and they have loads of material in each section. For A1, there's a full intro
course called "Warum Nicht?", with downloadable PDF and audio files, which is supposed
to take you from A1 to B1. It has 4 series with 26 lessons each, so it might be one of
the few courses which can truly claim A1 to B1. "Wieso Nicht" is a 20-lesson course
for B1 students, with PDFs and audio. The "Audiotrainer" is a load of vocabulary
podcasts, while "Mission Berlin" and "Radio D" are both story-based podcasts for
learners. I preferred Radio D as it was less childish, and taught some interesting
things like listening for clues (not just verbal, but sound effects as well). There's
loads of other stuff for more advanced learners as well, such as "Jojo sucht das
glück", a websoap with 33 video episodes. In fact, I think you could pretty much find
all the self-study material needed for German on the DW site.
3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4987 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 57
28 June 2014 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Sizen wrote:
@songlines I'm sorry for my late response, but I didn't notice that someone had posted!
I learned a while ago that I would be going to Quebec city! I'm going to be doing
international studies and modern languages, so I need to buckle down and get to work
because I have 2 more languages I'll need to study....

With all this in mind, I've tried to let my curiosity guide me and to act more on my
impulses.

No need at all for apologies. - That's great news about Quebec City! I love its older architecture and sense of
history. Cold in winter, of course, but you knew that already. Not "a dry cold", as the phrase goes in
Saskatchewan. Lots of snow. And ice. And icicles hanging photogenically from roof tops. But also a lot
of French language practice use. - People didn't switch to English even when they heard my atrocious
French accent.

Re your "buckling down, and also with reference to Jeffer's excellent advice: I've quoted it before on
the
forums (will see if I can find the link), here's a repeat of a favourite quote from AJATT (Alll Japanese Alll the
Time):
Discipline is remembering what you want.

Also very much ike your "curiosity" approach too, by the way.

Edited by songlines on 28 June 2014 at 4:43am

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4117 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 

Message 28 of 57
29 June 2014 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks you so much for the link Jeffers! That website looks like an excellent resource! I'll definitely give it a whirl once I start studying German.

@songlines Here in Alberta we say the same thing. :P The winter isn't so much what I'm worried about: it's the spring and summer. I don't get along with humidity and heat. The times when I've gone to Toronto and Montreal/Magog to visit my grandparents during the summer, I've always had a hard time going outside. I'm used to a nice dry 25 degrees max. Either way, I'm looking forward to going over there. Ever since I did a 6 week course there with myexplore, I've been dreaming of going back.

Alright, so I decided to share with you a very important work of French literature out of my father's library. It's a bit cryptic and I expect even the most erudite French learners here will have difficulty following along. But do not lose hope! I think the editor who brought together all of these fantastic works of poetry has some very useful advice to help you along: "The most fascinating quality of these verses is found upon reading therm aloud[...] These poems then assume a strangely familiar, almost nostalgic, homely quality."

Without further ado, I present you "Mots d'heures: Gousses, Rames"

A later entry really strikes a chord with me: "Reine, reine, gueux éveille, Gomme à gaine, en horreur, taie."

Joking aside, my paternal grandmother has just moved to my city and came with my great uncle and his wife. We've been chatting in nothing but French for the last couple of days and it's been an almost nostalgic experience for me. When I was younger and I went to visit my grandparents, a lot of French would be tossed about and I wouldn't understand much. Now, I follow these conversations without any real problems (minus the occasional expressions I don't know). I'm quite proud of myself for having come such a long way, and even more proud for coming back to my Quebecois roots.

With my grandmother in the house for the next month or so as we wait for her condo to open up, I hope to improve my conversational skills a lot (as the house is now a francophone majority if you count me) so that I can go to Quebec with confidence.

Edited by Sizen on 29 June 2014 at 8:27am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4117 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 

Message 29 of 57
01 July 2014 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
So if any of you were confused about my last post, let me explain. It's a humouristic book that makes me laugh every time I read anything from it. All the texts are Mother Goose Rhymes (Mots d'heures Gousse Rames) written out phonetically in French. I can't imagine the work that went into them as there are clear signs of the author attempting to write something somewhat intelligible. Anyway, I thought I would just share. :)

Otherwise, two years after discovering Groove Grave, I decided to look deeper into Loco Locass. Not bad stuff. I mean, it's all very political and vulgar at times, but it's fun. They have a knack for finding interesting alliterations that make French sound almost like another language: "Ce sonts les mots puisés dans l'encrier par ma plume qui percutent ton marteau, ton étrier, ton enclume. Pan, pan, pan, pan dans tes tympans. Ça tape, ça claque et ça clique sur ta cochlée."

A less political song. What's interesting is the mix of sophisticated vocabulary, colloquial Quebecois and sometimes argotic language that they use, which make their lyrics a harder read than your regular pop song. Another song that'll give you a better idea of the kind of vocabulary used in their lyrics.

Other than that, I've been rewatching all of Yoshiura Yasuhiro after seeing Sakasama no Patema the other day. I really like this director even if I'm always dissapointed with his works. The ideas are great, but the way the movies are put together is too maladroit. I see him as a kind of Japanese George Lucas. He has amazing ideas, but really needs a big team working around him to help him with everything else. I think Eve no Jikan was his best work because I was actually a little disappointed by Sakasama no Patema.

So, Spanish. I'm feeling something here. I watched some videos in Spanish on Youtube. A weird sensation filled me as I did so, and I realized after the fact what was going on. My Spanish feels like it's about where my French was three years ago: limited oral ability, decent sized vocabulary, poor verb conjugation skills. It's funny because where as my French was given a boost by 12 years of French immersion that allowed me to progress comfortably without needing to go through a tedious initial phase, my Spanish was given a similar boost by my knowledge of French. The plus is that I only needed about a year and a half to get to this point with Spanish and not ~14 years.

I guess this is the confidence a first language gives you that polyglots always talk about, but it's very reassuring. I can kind of understand documentaries, but can't understand videos about gaming at all. When I was at this stage with my French, it took me a year before I could do both without much difficulty simply by watching more videos. An hour here and there, and after a year, boom. Comprehension. I wonder what'll be like now that I've already gone through the process, though. I would hope faster, but that's perhaps wishful thinking. What I do know, is that if I treat my Spanish as I have my French, i.e. make it an integral part of my life by spending a few minutes with it every day, in three years when I'll have finished my bachelor's degree my Spanish will be about as good as my French is right now. That's pretty nice. That means I'll be able to live my life comfortably in 3 different languages!
The trick now is to not be frustrated that my Spanish just isn't as good as my French at the moment.

I like this language learning thing. :)

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4117 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 

Message 30 of 57
29 July 2014 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
The last couple weeks have been full of doubt, confusion and infection. A nasty oral
infection that I thought was simply caused by my wisdom tooth pushing against my
molars. I couldn't find any signs of infection in my mouth so I thought I was safe.
However, a few days after the initial pain, I experienced the second worst pain I've
ever had the displeasure of having to endure in my life. Luckily, it's easily treatable
and I'm already feeling little to no pain anymore. Needless to say, this disrupted with
my regularly scheduled skype sessions, but I'm already making up for lost time.

So yeah, no one cares about that. Doubt and confusion? Well, as I've been known to do,
I started freaking out a bit at the idea of going to Quebec to study. I won't go
through the details, but in the end I decided I just need to man up and get on with it.
I'm also not trying to think too far into the future either, as that can be a great
source of anxiety for me. At the same time, I am looking at the current state of
affairs with regard to my languages and keeping some ideas in the back of my mind for
future trips abroad and the likes. I will more than likely have the opportunity to go
to Spain or Germany for one or two semesters during the last year of my studies, which
is fine by me, especially given the proximity of both countries to France!

Ah yes, France. I've been noticing how much I have to pay attention to my speech to
avoid more European expressions when I'm speaking. But at the same time, there's a part
of me that wants to unleash this unbridled linguistic knowledge and have a go at
European French. Most of my francophone friends are from Belgium or France and a large
portion of the media I consume is produced in France, so it would only be natural for
me to adopt a more European accent and lexicon. As I've already mentioned, though, I'm
very attached to Quebecois as I grew up hearing this variety of French my entire life.
Heck, I had never even heard European French before high school. Nevertheless, there's
a part of me that would like to dabble in other "dialects" of French for the fun of it.

I think that once I reach a higher degree of proficiency, I might attempt to learn a
Parisian accent so that I can use all the expressions I've been holding myself back
from using.

In other news, I've been finding it hard to activate my Spanish. I always thought that
the reason I couldn't activate my Japanese was because it was a difficult language that
required a larger time investment, which I was already investing in French at the time.
But now I'm noticing that the same applies to my Spanish, which is definitely an easier
language for me. I'm starting to wonder if my language learning skills still aren't
developed enough to handle two active languages at the same time. I've got plenty of
passive languages up to an intermediate level, but I can't seem to ever speak any of
them because French is hogging all of my time/brainpower.

Perhaps learning other languages to some form of fluency will have to wait until I've
reached a higher level in French? Maybe my time would be better spent learning more
languages passively on the side until that day? Who knows. God knows the other
languages that I wish I had a passive knowledge in are plentiful. Icelandic, Korean,
Norwegian, Ukrainian, German... Actually, I think my list has gotten shorter over the
years.

I suppose my desire for perfection is what's holding me back at this point, really.
I've been living through French for the past little while, so it's only natural that I
want it to be "perfect" in that language. Looking at my other languages, though, I have
no real reason to speak perfect Spanish or perfect Japanese for the moment.

I guess this is my next challenge: accept the fact that I'll never be perfect in every
language I learn.

I like how my posts have become random musings on my mood and thoughts rather than what
I've been doing in my languages. I don't think it's very useful or interesting for all
of you, but it definitely helps me separate myself from my thoughts and look at things
more clearly for a while.

A final remark. I think I might try experimenting a bit as I wait for the 18th, the day
I go off to Quebec to start my new francophone life. :) I've got to keep in mind that
the whole point of this is most definitely not to become an amazing polyglot that
everyone admires or anything like that. It's to have fun and make new discoveries.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5419 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 31 of 57
29 July 2014 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
That all sounds very exciting, I wish you bonne chance! Indeed, focus on having fun with
French and there will come a time when you feel ready to go all the way in another
language as you have done with French.

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4117 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 

Message 32 of 57
30 July 2014 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
@Ionlanthe Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to the that day. :)

On to today's topic:

Sizen's Guide to Becoming an Outstanding Language Learner

1. Pick up a book
2. Read
3. ??????????
4. Profit

Okay, let's be serious for a second. While I do believe the above methodology is one of
many possible ways of improving one's language, it's a little open to interpretation
and doesn't always work when applied incorrectly. What I want to talk about today is
more along the lines of how I think I've become a better language learner. Before I get
to that, I need to talk about who I am and who I used to be.

I was 15 when I embarked on my first journey to learn a language outside of school. I
was actually surprised when, after a year of haphazard study, I actually started to
understand a foreign language outside of French. In fact, I was so impressed with
myself that I went to Japan so that I could impress myself some more when I got back!

The result after 5 months in Japan? Sure, I had improved, but something was wrong. My
trip to Japan wasn't the amazing experience I had dreamed it to be. Not only that,
while my Japanese comprehension had improved, I had made little progress with the
spoken language. Well now, this wasn't very pleasing news to me. I had put so much work
into it! I spent hours studying everyday using methods I had meticulously researched on
the net! I had seen how experienced language learners climbed to levels of fluency
beyond my grasp in the same time period that I had spent learning my Japanese! How
could I have failed when I had been applying the advice THEY had given me?

This is where it all began. I didn't just want to learn a language now; I wanted to
ACTUALLY learn a language! To fluency, at that!

One of the things I quickly realized was that my methods weren't faulty. I was
faulty.
This meant I had to improve myself. My personal motto since then has been
something like: improve yourself to improve your languages.

So have I improved myself? I guess so. But what's been important?

Let me just preface this list by saying it obviously doesn't apply to everybody. These
are just points that I've had to work on in order to enable myself to learn a language
well. This is also kind of the rewrite of a post I had posted a while back. I still
don't think I've developed enough to express my thoughts in quite the way I'd like to,
but I've acquired the experience necessary to give me confidence in what I'm saying.

1. Learning to be social, i.e. making friends with people that I have to go out of my
way to befriend.

One of my weaknesses was that I found it easy to make friends when I was tossed into
the same situation as other people who spoke the same language as me. Going to Japan on
an exchange, I easily made friends with the two American kids at my school but I had a
difficult time befriending my Japanese schoolmates. I mean, when you think about it, it
makes sense. The American kids and I have every reason to be friends: we're all in a
country whose language we don't speak, we're both from very similar countries where the
same language is spoken, we're about the same age... The Japanese kids, on the other
hand, we're all different from us. Different language, different heritage, different
language. I mean, can you blame us for not making friends with them?

Nowadays, I go out of my way to message people I don't even know from countries I've
never even been to, whose languages I don't necessarily speak well or confidently and
who are not always in the same age group as me. And you know what, it's not as scary as
I thought it was back when I was 15. In fact, the best friends I've made in the past 2
years have all been made in this way. They haven't been people I've gone to school with
or people I met in Taiwan on my exchange. They've all been complete strangers who have
all the reasons in the world to ignore me!

2. Being curious.

This one's been a doozy. It was easy for me to be interested in things, but it was hard
for me to motivate myself to learn more. A part of this was due to the fact that I had
a hard time concentrating which made it difficult for me to learn when the going got
tough, but also because I was embarrassed to ask question when I didn't understand.

The other problem here was that my range of interested was rather interested. I liked
math. I liked "language", whatever that even meant. Too general to be of any use. I
like games, too, I suppose... I might have liked music too. Movies were nice sometimes
too.

Boring, right? Two things had to change. One, I needed more interests. Making new
interests was easy. Find some books, watch some videos, try what my friends were doing,
etc, etc. Easy. The second has been harder: learning to appreciate my interests. What I
mean is that I needed to develop an actual interest for the things I like. I needed to
want to understand them. And for that I needed to want to analyse them. And for that I
needed to want to enjoy them... Then the list keeps going on like that for a while it
gets harder and harder to understand the mechanics of "being interested". Nonetheless,
I've slowly been developing a feel for what things will potentially interest me, and
then I just have to work on "liking" those things.

3. Wanting to be happy.

This one's even worse because it deals with a dilemma most of us face during our lives.
It's also troublesome because it forces us to make compromises where we'd rather not.
Do I want to speak fluent Russian in just a year by dedicating 8 hours to it every day
and being miserable in the process, or by enjoying the journey and not caring about the
time it takes and, ultimately, being happy no matter the outcome?

What's worse is that this applies to things outside of language learning: family,
education, employment, life skills, etc. Finding a balance between all of these so that
I have a reason to get up in the morning while also living a life that I'm proud to
live can be somewhat challenging, I have to admit. I'm not a sad person, but I probably
have a minor depression of sorts. I've never had absolutely no reason to get out of bed
before, so that's good news. However, some days I feel like I'm not excited as I should
be to face the day.

I have to say that this has been one of the areas I've improved the most in by simply
working on the last 2 points. Having friends and interests is enough to get me out of
bed on the worst of days.

Anyway, before I start really making no sense, I'll try to sum up my thoughts on
language learning and self-improvement: everything has to be genuine. If you're not
making genuine friends, have genuine conversations/discussions, reading things you're
genuinely interested in, working in a position that genuinely interests, what's the
point? Happiness should always come before anything else, even languages.

I suppose in a sense, language learning has been my salvation as it has led me to want
to be the best and happiest person I can be.

(I'll apologize quickly for the rambling feel my posts have. I don't like spending too
much time on them because there are other things I like to do. These posts already take
me long enough to write in the first place. This is just a log and I like to write as
my ideas are forming. Maybe one day I'll take more time and be able to write a little
more eloquently!)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version