Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5615 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 5
07 January 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
This is my first log on this forum, although I have joined this forum about 5 years ago. So please correct me if I made any mistakes during my logging of my language learning process. My main focuses for this year are:

Russian: improve my level to high B1/low B2 (current high A2/ low B1) in all areas.

Serbian/Croatian: false beginner to B1 level

Ukrainian: beginner to A2 level

Belarusian: beginner to A1 level

French: maintenance by listening to radio and reading native books. Do not rule out the possibility to take certification next year. Current level B2

German: maintenance by listening to radio and reading native books. . Do not rule out the possibility to take certification next year. Current level B1

Japanese: slowly walk through with Assimil

Malay/Indonesian: part of wanderlust with a special reason. Malay is the national language of Singapore and yet, I like many Singaporean Chinese, know almost nothing about it. I think this is a shame, consider the fact that I want to be a polyglot, and the fact that one should know the national language of one’s native land.

English and Chinese: keep adding vocabulary along the way. I have problems with my vocabulary and I sought to solve this problem through exposure.

Czech: on hold for this year since it messes with my Croatian/Serbian

Hebrew: If there were more business trip to Israel, most likely I will push it up to a regular language. I am already starting to like the language.

This is an ambitious task that I have set for this year. I hope that I can sustain it all the way until the end of year, although for several years I have only managed to stay consistent for one or two of the languages throughout the year.

1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4343 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 2 of 5
07 January 2014 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Great to hear that someone else is learning Serbian/Croatian :) I am in awe of how many
other languages you are tackling, but I look forward to following your log!

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4619 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 3 of 5
07 January 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
How nice to see another Slavic languages maniac :)

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5615 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 

Message 4 of 5
08 January 2014 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Thank you prz_ and Radioclare for becoming the first commenters on my log. Unfortunately, I need to prepare my trip to Israel during this week and I will be there the entire next week. Hence, I will not be able to do much and log my process, although I can squeeze some time out to maintain my languages throughout my trip.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5615 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 

Message 5 of 5
20 January 2014 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Dear all, I am finally back from the trip in Israel. It is time to give some updates on my progress over the past week.

Basic Hebrew: It was a pleasure to communicate with the natives, even though each conversion was not more than 5 lines. I even tried to read out words that I don't know in Hebrew. It is more difficult than other languages, as the words are unpointed (i.e. without vowels indicated, except i, o and u in Hebrew). Often I have the word pronounced wrongly, but my acquaintances helped me in correcting my mistakes. They are also impressed that I have got the alphabet and its pronunciation correct. Unfortunately, I do not think I have the time to continue my Hebrew for this year, unless there is a need to go to Israel frequently.

Russian & Serbian/Croatian: I have already started doing Asimil with these two languages before my trip and have managed to complete some of them despite my busy schedule. I will give a more throughout description in my next few posts as they are my main languages this year. I wish to complete my Assimil Russian before my trip to Russia in March, hopefully that my pronunciation and listening will become better by then.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version