Finland
Joined 4433 days ago

33 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French

Message 17 of 32
08 January 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
@Hungringo,

I totally agree, French pronunciation is fairly regular compared to English. But to compensate for the high degree of correspondence between spelling and pronunciation, French has other difficulties. Some sound sequences can be quite challenging to produce, and then there are the liaisons, of course. And there are many words with pronunciations which can't be deduced (at least not by me): revolver, fille : ville, innavigable.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 32
09 January 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
(No, it was a friend, honest. I'm just easily traumatised by other people's suffering)
Then why do you worry more about pronouncing "whore" correctly than of the impact it has?

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5342 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 19 of 32
09 January 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I wasn't planning on using it as a term of abuse, if that's what you were thinking, but "whore" seems to have been a fairly standard term for prostitute in literature, up to about 50 years or so ago anyway. If you wrote about "drinking and whoring" these days, it would probably be seedy, brutal, miserablist, but they seem to have treated it much more lightly in the old days.

Even today, it seems to me a much more neutral word when used in literature, than when spoken out loud, although that could just be my inhibition again.

[edit to add]

"Prostitute" is a funny word in English. It is only used in a detached style, so you can use it in the narrative, but the characters have to use a more colloquial word. I guess the modern equivalent of "whore" would be "hooker". Or is it "whooker"? you don't see it in print very often.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 09 January 2014 at 5:28pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 32
09 January 2014 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
schoenewaelder wrote:
(No, it was a friend, honest. I'm just easily
traumatised by other people's suffering)
Then why do you worry more about
pronouncing "whore" correctly than of the impact it has?

Because as a Dutch speaker, I colloquially tack it onto the end of every sentence :)

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 21 of 32
10 January 2014 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
"Prostitute" is a funny word in English. It is only used in a detached style, so you can use it in the narrative, but the characters have to use a more colloquial word. I guess the modern equivalent of "whore" would be "hooker". Or is it "whooker"? you don't see it in print very often.

Prostitute is someone who does it for money. Hooker is less offensive than whore. A hooker also does it for money. A whore might just be someone who sleeps around.

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4395 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 22 of 32
10 January 2014 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Hungringo wrote:
I wonder if any of you have faced the problem of
what I call "mute
vocabulary".

I learnt English entirely on my own, basically by devouring books. This learning method
was very effective in building a huge, but at the same time mute vocabulary. I mean
that I have never uttered or heard at least half of the English words I know. When I
say mute, I don't necessarily mean passive vocabulary, since I might use many of my
mute words in writing.

Having a mute vocabulary in languages with a more or less regular phonemic spelling is
not an issue, but in the case of English I always worry that I might mispronounce my
mute words.

I know that listening to the radio, watching television and talking to people can help
a lot, but what about those mute words that are unlikely to come up in a chat with your
neighbours and are not used in an average movie either?

Russian does this to me every day.

One more over here. :D I virtually spend a gazillion hours per day listening to Russian
alone, apart from that do my other activities, like reading and writing meanwhile. Аnd
just because I have nobody to speak to in Russian, I always wonder if I won't simply go
mute when I'd like a dialogue to evolve. And I'm not speaking about a written dialogue
on line, because I've got this one covered to a certain extent. There you can sit back
and think over what you write, rather a live one when pauses would be inappropriate.

P.S.: French pronunciation is indeed way more regular in my humble opinion as well. I
really find it rather easy reading a non - familiar text in French, whereas in Russian
I can easily mispronounce a certain word, bearing in mind that my reading comprehension
in both is fairly equal.

Edited by Einarr on 10 January 2014 at 3:49am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 32
10 January 2014 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
A whore might just be someone who sleeps around.
The female equivalent of macho.
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 24 of 32
10 January 2014 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
luke wrote:
A whore might just be someone who sleeps around.
The female equivalent of macho.

The word can be used without female connotations. For instance, a comedy "Deuce Bigalo, Male Gigalo", used the phrase "man whore" a lot.

Used as a verb, the word is fairly gender neutral.

A similar word that I've only heard used to describe a man is "womanizer".

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version