South Africa
Joined 3920 days ago

38 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Turkish, Polish

Message 1 of 7
07 January 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Turkish

After a few months of no Turkish I am just going through Teach Yourself Turkish again. My copy is by David Pollard from 1996 (this edition 2003). So far since the beginning of the year I've gone through
the first 13 chapters and have 56 unknown words. They are more words that I'm not sure of, since I've only got 2 cards wrong in Anki. However my listening ability is nowhere near as good.

My main method of learning languages (especially vocabulary) is a site I wrote for myself (http://readingtool.net/) which is sort of like Lingq or LWT, but supports parallel texts and multi-monitor more
easily. I pretty much have put all the TyT, Assimil and Türkçe Okuyorum texts in there and use that.

Here are some resources I use (or have used) for Turkish:

• Teach Yourself Turkish

•      
  • Assimil Türkisch Ohne Mühe

•      
  • Elementary Turkish by Lewis V. Thomas - Useful for grammar explanations but I would not actually try learn from this book. One of the nice things about the book is that the grammar for each
    chapter is summarised as a few example sentences on the 1st page of the chapter. If you read the setences you know the grammar which is handy for reviewing. I may go back and do the exercises after I
    finish TyT since I'm not that hot on production skills.

•      
  • Türkçe Okuyorum (1-4) - I'm not sure if I've ever seen these books mentioned in this forum, or pretty much anywhere else, but they are probably the most usuful books on Turkish that I own.
    Basically they're published by Dilmer (I believe they go together with the course books that Dilmer publish) and they're effectively graded readers with audio. They cost 25TL but they're hard to get hold
    of. I bought them from Pandora (http://www.pandora.com.tr/urun/turkce-okuyorum-1-i-read-tur kish-1-texts-exercises-answer-key-glossary-cdli/129186) but from their store near Taksim Square

•      
  • http://www.turkishlanguage.co.uk/ - The most complete site for Turkish grammar.

•      
  • http://www.ipb.nu/winmekmak/ - WinMekMak can (most of the time) conjugate any verb, or given a verb give you all the suffixes and meanings.

•      
  • http://www.let.rug.nl/~coltekin/trmorph/index.php - This is similar to WinMekMak, but works for any word. It can point you in the right direction if you're stuck, but you need to understand
    Turkish grammar well enough to pick the right option.

•      
  • http://www.dnathan.com/language/turkish/tsd/ - A list of suffixes in Turkish with explanations and examples.

Polish

So far I've completed Michel Thomas Polish which was actually pretty good. I think that maybe in a month or so I'll listen to it again because I got a bit lost on the last couple of CDs. Afterwards I'll
do the Advanced course and see how it goes. I've also been reading through Polish in 4 Weeks and as well as Polnisch Ohne Mühe. Assimil as usual is a bit of struggle because of their scattered
explanations of the grammar and they don't give the nominative form of the word in the dialogues, so it's hard to work out what cases apply and so on. P4W is not too bad a coursebook really, a few things
could use improvement but usuable. At the moment I'm at chapter 18 in P4W and around Lesson 30 of Assimil. I've restarted both books and am paying more attention to the cases this time around. Most of the
singular nouns are fine, but plurals and adjectives I'm not too sure of. Also I'm trying to remember which prepopistions govern which cases and of course remembering vocabulary is a always a problem.
Currently in Anki I've 330 words and 97.5% for young words, none of them have been in there long enough to mature. As with Turkish I've put the dialogues for Assimil and P4W into my site
(http://readingtool.net/) and am using that to look everything up.
3 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4641 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 2 of 7
07 January 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Powodzenia z polskim! :) If you'd like any help/conversations/whatever, I can help you with pleasure :)
1 person has voted this message useful

t1234
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3920 days ago

38 posts - 83 votes 

Message 3 of 7
07 January 2014 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Powodzenia z polskim! :) If you'd like any help/conversations/whatever, I can help you with pleasure :)

Thank you.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 7
10 January 2014 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Great intro and links. You seem very advanced in Turkish! I am working from a 1989 version of TY, which is different from the later ones. After that I hope to get into turkish only courses.

Welcome to our team and company :)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 5 of 7
10 January 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
I'll be following mainly the Polish part of your log and was wondering what your motivations are for both Polish and Turkish? Why specifically those languages? I'm just curious.

t1234
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3920 days ago

38 posts - 83 votes 

Message 6 of 7
13 January 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
You seem very advanced in Turkish! I am working from a 1989 version of TY, which is different from
the later ones.

Not very advanced at all considering the amount of time I've been working on Turkish. I believe the only thing in common between
the books is the title.

hribecek wrote:
I'll be following mainly the Polish part of your log and was wondering what your motivations are for both
Polish and Turkish? Why specifically those languages? I'm just curious.

I've been to Turkey quite a few times, usually I go every 12-18 months or so and just landed up attempting to learn the language.
For Polish I'm not too sure myself really, basically a combination of various things. I'm not really interested in any of the
romance languages, I already know a few Germanic ones, there are lots of Polish people in the UK, saw the book Polish in 4 Weeks and
decided to just spend a month or so on it. Clearly 4 weeks would never be sufficient so I've made it a 1 year project and will
see how it goes.

t1234
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3920 days ago

38 posts - 83 votes 

Message 7 of 7
27 January 2014 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Turkish

I've completed TyT a while back and went back to Assimil. After the 1st 14 lessons is started feeling a bit pointless so I went back to
Turkçe Okuyorum and I'm now about halfway through the 2nd book. I never finished the series so the aim for now is to get through all of
it. I would guess that the dialogue speed is currently about the same as the final lessons of Assimil and the actual difficulty somewhere
around lesson 40.

Polish

I've finished Polish in 4 Weeks and the first 42 lessons of Assimil. The next step is pronunciation and to work through the exercises and
try actually remember all the cases and endings. Generally I find that if I know what all the words in a sentence mean I can understand the
sentence. However actually being able to produce the sentence would basically be impossible. I will continue to work through Assimil
passively to the end and hope for the best. My copy of the second volume of P4W has arrived but for now I'll leave it alone until I have
better understanding of the grammar in volume one.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version