Diglot
Japan
Joined 3787 days ago

10 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: French, German, Persian

Message 1 of 1
09 January 2014 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm 26, Irish, and currently teaching in Japan. I grew up bi-lingual in Ireland,
English at home and I went to a Gaelscoil, an all Irish language medium primary school.
My Irish level is sadly not where it once was, especially my writing skills, hopefully
it is just dormant!

I sat in French classes in secondary school. I did not enjoy the grammar heavy focus
and poor explanations in that system.After five years I could produce verb charts and
chat about how to get to the train station.

Over the years I have dabbled in a few languages, fixed my French, learned some
Persian, Russian, and German. My main weakness is my lack of consistency. I tend to
flit from one language project to the next. I am hoping that by getting involved on the
forum that I will become a more disciplined language learner.

My pet peeves are: People that say 'Learn language X instead of Y because *gives
spurious reason*', 'X is an easy language to learn/has no grammar', 'Irish is useless,
we should teach Chinese instead'.

My loves: Arsenal football club, reading, and watching terrible movies like 'Sharknado'

My language goals for 2014 are:
Improve my limited Japanese (I am only here for a few months so I will be happy with a
comfortable basic level)
I also want to focus on improving my Russian and finally starting Spanish (I wanted to
learn it at school but my school only offered French)

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version