Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 17 of 24
23 September 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Recently I've been doing lots of Hungarian, continuing with memrise a lot, speaking to myself and listening to my Teach Yourself CD.

On memrise I've now completed the Colloquial deck and am in the process of repeating everything again for at least the 4th or 5th time. I've also made good progress on an FSI deck of 2600 words (learned about 250 completely new words so far) and completed an animal vocabulary deck, nature deck, swear words deck and started the Assimil sentence deck. Safe to say I've really improved in Hungarian since June.

I even had a random Hungarian conversation on the street with a stranger in my small Czech town. Question - How does being lazy and letting your hair grow too long gain you a possible future Hungarian conversation buddy? :) That's what happened to me.

Apart from Hungarian, I've of course been doing my usual Czech and a bit of Spanish chatting with my wife or others learning the language. My main focus to help my Czech has been to work on my personality - to try to be more confident in general.

My big language dilemma has continued since my last post. I'm trying to work out my plan for next year - Guarani, Persian, Kyrgyz/Kazakh, Bulgarian/Macedonian and Esperanto are the newbies in contention. Persian is currently holding pole position, while Kyrgyz/Kazakh will probably come into play when Chung starts his own challenge with them near the end of 2015 and Bulgarian/Macedonian will have a smaller role before I go there on holiday in July. Guarani resources are the problem with that language and Esperanto depends on my attendance at the Polyglot Gathering next May.
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 18 of 24
14 October 2014 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Just making sure I do an update for October to maintain my once a monthish plan.

I've been cracking on with Hungarian on memrise and have added about 200+ completely new words in the 3 weeks since my last update, so about 10 words a day. I've also reviewed many, many more countless times. I can even say that my active Hungarian doesn't feel much less active than my Spanish at the moment. My Spanish is quite rusty but always natural and my passive knowledge is much better in Spanish.

I've also reviewed a bit of Toki Pona and plan to have that as my focus language in the next 6 week challenge.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 19 of 24
27 November 2014 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Probably my 2nd to last update of the year.

Although I didn't sign up for the 6 week challenge in the end, I've been working as if
I'm in it. I really couldn't be bothered to keep track of all my times, which is why
I'm not in it.

I've now reached 787 new words on the FSI Hungarian deck, so over 300 since my last
update. I've also done a hell of a lot of reviewing every day of all my decks. In
the last 3 days I've also done several lessons on the Hungarian101 podcast site, which
has been a nice change and seems like an excellent program.

The other main focus of November has been Toki Pona, mainly for its mind-training
qualities, but also because it's a fun and interesting language. I've set up a new
deck of advanced Toki Pona on memrise, which took several hours to produce. Doing it
was a learning experience in itself as I had to study so much and copy out lots of
sentences from my notes and the official book. The deck seems to be quite popular so
far with the Toki Ponians on the site, as there wasn't really such a detailed advanced
learning system for the language on there before.

Other than that, lots of Czech listening and reading, some Spanish reading and bits
and bobs of Polish studying (mainly when sitting on the toilet [maybe too much
information]) :))

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 20 of 24
30 December 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
FINAL SUMMARY OF 2014

This is my last message of the year and probably my last TAC message at least for a
year as I've decided to take a year off from it. This year, apart from the first few
months, I got very little out of being on a team and just writing these messages felt
like a waste of time. So next year I'll just focus on my languages privately, except
for the Turkic challenge, which starts in September for me.

LANGUAGE SUCCESSES

UKRAINIAN

For the first 6 months I studied Ukrainian every day and reached a level where I was
able to be our group spokesperson when 4 of us traveled around Western Ukraine in July
for 2 weeks. I'd guess I reached A2 level actively and B1 passively (thanks to my
knowledge of other Slavic languages). After returning from Ukraine my motivation for
that language disappeared and I haven't studied it since. Learning the Cyrillic
alphabet is a pleasant side effect of having studied Ukrainian.

HUNGARIAN

Actually a big surprise for me as I was expecting Ukrainian to kill my interest and
motivation for Hungarian and that my level would drop a lot. On the contrary, the
discovery of memrise and then Hungarian Pod 101 has reinvigorated my passion for the
language and I'll stick my neck out and say that I'm now a solid B1, a big
improvement. While other languages like Mandarin, Polish and Ukrainian have come and
gone, Hungarian maintains a prominent position in my head.

TOKI PONA

Another big improvement. The fact that Toki Pona is easy obviously helps a lot, but
in 4 days at the Polyglot Gathering in Berlin I used and discussed it a lot and this
caused the improvement. Since then I've studied and used in fits and starts and have
maintained my level and even increased it a bit through a program I prepared on
memrise.

OTHER

My Czech and Spanish have pretty much stayed at the same level, despite a hell of a
lot of work on my Czech. Maybe I have improved but I'm unable to feel it, so still C1
at Czech and probably B2 at Spanish. I've also done bits and pieces of Polish just
for fun and have learned some more Russian thanks to my wife's studies of it and our
time in Moldova.

NEXT YEAR

The priority as usual will be working on Czech, Spanish, Hungarian and from time to
time Toki Pona. I'm going to Bulgaria and Macedonia for a couple of weeks in July so
I want to do some language preparation for that and in the Turkic challenge I'll be
working on Kazakh from September to December. Other than that I'd like to improve my
Russian a little, at least to a get-by level and Persian is another target due to the
trip to Tajikstan in 2016/17.

Edited by hribecek on 30 December 2014 at 5:34pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 21 of 24
30 December 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Will you still be keeping a log on the forum, even if you don't participate in the TAC? I'll be interested to hear about your continuing linguistic endeavors -- especially what you think of Bulgarian and Persian, if you do learn a bit of them. :) Good luck in 2015!

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 22 of 24
31 December 2014 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
FINAL SUMMARY OF 2014

This is my last message of the year and probably my last TAC message at
least for a
year as I've decided to take a year off from it. This year, apart from
the first few
months, I got very little out of being on a team and just writing these
messages felt
like a waste of time. So next year I'll just focus on my languages
privately, except
for the Turkic challenge, which starts in September for me.

I felt exactly the same way as you Hřibeček, and only lasted a couple of
months before I gave up keeping my log. I'm just going to focus on the
languages next year.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 23 of 24
31 December 2014 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
@Ellasevia - Thanks for the message. I might update this thread sometimes and I'll be
using the forum still regularly. Same question to you? I'm interested to know how
you're 2014 has gone with languages - university, trip to Iceland etc. and general
studies. Will you be more active in 2015? I miss your updates.

@stelingo - Glad you had the same feelings, thanks for writing here.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 24 of 24
31 December 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
@Ellasevia - Thanks for the message. I might update this thread sometimes and I'll be using the forum still regularly. Same question to you? I'm interested to know how you're 2014 has gone with languages - university, trip to Iceland etc. and general studies. Will you be more active in 2015? I miss your updates.

I can't say that 2014 was a terribly productive year for me in any language except perhaps for Chinese, as I've been taking courses at my college. I did, however, get a chance to practice a number of different languages while I was traveling in Europe for two months over the summer. I'm not quite sure yet whether I want to keep a log for this year, after the failure of this past year's log, which I stopped writing in before the end of January. I'm hoping to be more active again on the forum either way, since I feel like I've been basically absent for a year or two now.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version