Joined 5401 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 9 of 88
17 January 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Sizen wrote:
I really like multilingual countries like Belgium (though I haven't been there
myself), especially when they speak French. :) Guess it reminds me of Canada a little. The
most gifted language learner I know is also from Belgium, so that adds a little to the
effect...

My father studied in the Hague for a few years and picked up some Dutch while there. I've
never heard him really speak it, but I've heard him reading it and seen him writing to old
Dutch acquaintances. Kind of makes me more interested in the language than I should be right
now!

Either way, I'll be following you, and hope to be there when you make it to Belgium, whenever
that may be!

@BonneVivante All my French friends say that the French Belgian accent is kind of like
the French-Canadian accent (which always makes me laugh a little... so different), so I guess
maybe there's a bit of a connection between Canada and Belgium. ;)

Hello! I like multilingual areas too even if it's on a smaller scale like with Chinatowns.
Any excuse to learn a new language.
1 person has voted this message useful

enrdbrow
United Kingdom
Joined 4332 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 10 of 88
19 January 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Hi Iolanthe. I'm just popping in to let you know I'll be following your journey this year as a fellow team mate. Your experience with the French Lifeguard reminds me of the line in an early lesson of ASSIMIL: Alors, vous êtes sûr qu'ils sont toujours gentils, les Français?.
Good luck with your studies.
DB
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5401 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 11 of 88
19 January 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
enrdbrow wrote:
Hi Iolanthe. I'm just popping in to let you know I'll be following your
journey this year as a fellow team mate. Your experience with the French Lifeguard reminds me
of the line in an early lesson of ASSIMIL: Alors, vous êtes sûr qu'ils sont toujours
gentils, les Français?
Good luck with your studies.
DB

Merci beaucoup!

----

Français

Week 3 is almost done so it's time to record the stats.

Week 3: 645 minutes or 10 hours and 45 minutes
Total: 1067 minutes or 17 hours and 47 minutes

French in Action lesson 4
Assimil lesson 20

----

I've written a tiny bit in French about my day. Corrections would be most welcome!

Aujourd'hui, je me suis réveillé et j'ai mangé le petit déjeuner. J'ai écouté la radio et
ápres j'ai pris une douche. Très propre! Je passé un certain temps à apprendre à programmer
en Python. J'ai aussi regardé le quatrième épisode de French In Action. Plus tard, j'ai
repoussé mes racines avec coloration pour cheveux. Ce soir, je vais regarder mes émissions de
télévision préférées.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 88
20 January 2014 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Moi aussi, je apprendre à programmer en Python de temps en temps. What are you using to learn Python? I highly recommend Computer Science Circles for online lessons with self-correcting exercises. The only downside is that some of the exercises are very mathematical. The plus side is that the lessons are available in French as well as English! I plan to redo the whole set in French once I finish them in English.

Now if only we could count programming languages for the 6 week challenge...

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5401 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 13 of 88
26 January 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
@Jeffers I'm using Learn Python The Hard Way. I haven't really found the perfct course for
Python yet. I'm new to programming so it's hard to find something that's informative but not
too overwhelming. Luckily my boyfriend is a programmer so I'm able to ask him questions and
he helps me when I get stuck on a project. I think making projects is probably the best way
to learn. A 6 week challenge for computer languages would be great because I bet you can
achieve a lot with a computer language in that amount of time.

---

Nederlands

Ik heb helaas mijn belofte niet waargemaakt wat het lezen betreft. Ik heb sinds 1 januari
maar 30 pagina's gelezen. Mijn excuus is dat ik veel moest lezen voor mijn tentamens. Nu zijn
ze voorbij dus dat excuus bestaat niet meer. Ik ben trouwens voor alle tentamens geslaagd,
hoera! Ik heb wel de laatste tijd veel tegen mezelf in het Nederlands gepraat. Het helpt wel.
Het gaat soepeler en soepeler. Ik vind het wel prettig om in mijn eentje te oefenen want het
geeft me meer zelfverzekerdheid wanneer ik spontaan met een andere persoon moet praten. Ik
kijk ook vaak naar youtube filmpjes die gemaakt zijn door Nederlandse meisjes van ongeveer
mijn leeftijd. Ik hoop dat ik zo wat meer native kan gaan klinken. Ik denk niet dat ik ooit
als een echte Nederlander zal klinken maar ik wil er wel zo dichtbij in de beurt komen als
het maar kan.

Français

J'ai regardé trois films français cette semaine. Le premier était 'Elle s'appelait Sarah'. Le
film parle d'une fille qui a survécu à l'Holocauste. Une journaliste essaie de la trouver a
l'epoque actuelle. Le deuxième film est 'Benjamin ou Les mémoires d'un puceau'. Le titre
explique tout. Le dernier film est 'Les émotifs anonymes'. C'est un film sur un homme et
femme qui sont anxieux (comme moi!). C'est un film romantique et c'est assez amusant. C'est
très dificile pour moi a ècrire en Français. Je dois trouver chaque mot dans le dictionnaire.

My favourite part of French In Action is when they make up a dialogue between a woman and
Fido the dog. I love the humour in this course and the fact that it gives me the feeling of
being in a classroom. However, the workbook is so packed full of exercises that I've started
skipping some otherwise every chaptor will take ages.

I did try the French 101 podcasts but as Jeffers said in his intro post, there is too much
chatting in English for it to feel like a useful way to spend my time.

I swear the more intensely I learn one language, the stronger my wanderlust becomes. Suddenly
I’m eyeing up Hebrew, Arabic, Turkish, Korean and Japanese. I just tell myself, “Next year,
next year you might have time for another. But not now!” I can’t help wanting to do some
preliminary research though.

Stats

Week 4: 784 minutes or 13 hours and 4 minutes
Total: 1851 minutes or 30 hours and 51 minutes

Assimil: leçon 26
French In Action: leçon 4

Edited by Iolanthe on 27 January 2014 at 4:32pm

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 3989 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 14 of 88
29 January 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Hi Iolanthe,

I first got lured into your log by your title (for obvious reasons :-)), and was then more than pleased to have found a fellow team member this way!

Looking forward to learn more about your progress (and your trip to Belgium, of course)...

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5401 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 15 of 88
02 February 2014 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Hello Suzie! Thanks for stopping by in my log. I'm glad you were drawn in by the title as my
fellow Benelux based team member!

---

Français

Cette semaine a passé tellement vite! J'ai commencè á utiliser Anki. Il ya beaucoup de bonnes
'shared decks' pour français. J'etudie Assimil tour les jours mais je suis derrière avec
French in Action. (That's probably not how you say that.) J'aime regarder 'Les Griffins' en
français. Doublage est mauvais pour l'anglais du les français mais bénéfique pour mon
français.

Stats

Week 5: 723 minutes or 12 hours and 3 minutes
Total: 2574 minutes or 42 hours and 54 minutes

Assimil: leçon 33
French In Action: leçon 5

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5401 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 16 of 88
10 February 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Français

Week 6: 781 minutes or 13 hours and 1 minutes
Total: 3355 minutes or 55 hours and 55 minutes

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version