Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5428 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 25 of 88
28 April 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers, you've persuaded me! I've signed up for the full challenge. There's no way I
can read extensively right now but at least I can get started on the films.

Français

Week 16: 347 minutes
Week 17: 638 minutes
Total: 9806 minutes or 163h 26m

What a week. My operation went perfectly but unfortunately I'm using crutches to get
around at the momenta and since the operation affected my ability to use my left arm,
it meant I needed to be helped around the house for the past week. I was also
incredibly tired for the first 4 days after the operation. But after I perked up a bit,
I got a lot of French done. I watched the film Populaire on Netflix which was a nice
romantic comedy and just what I needed. I'm also one lesson away from finishing the
active wave of Assimil. If only I could transfer this diligence to other areas of my
life...

Nederlands
I spoke Dutch immediately when I woke up from the anaesthetic. The first thing I said
to the nurse 'Ik denk dat ik heb gedroomd'. What I dreamt, I have no idea. When I got
back to the nursing ward, I had a chat with a guy who had just had knee surgery. So it
was a good day for my Dutch! And all that while drugged up!

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 26 of 88
28 April 2014 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Iolanthe wrote:
Jeffers, you've persuaded me! I've signed up for the full challenge. There's no way I can read extensively right now but at least I can get started on the films.

I'm both pleased and worried! Don't blame me when you get snowed under with books and films... but you can thank me when you see how much your language has progressed!

I'm glad to hear your operation was successful. I hope your recovery is equally successful.

Also, thanks for mentioning Populaire. I've added it to my Netflix queue as well.

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4016 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 27 of 88
01 May 2014 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Hi Iolanthe, Great to see that you registered for the Super Challenge! Wish you a great start and joyful reading experiences!

I absolutely understand why you quit Afrikaans. I have difficulties to cope with huge similarities between two languages as well.

Did you enjoy Koningsdag?

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5428 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 28 of 88
04 May 2014 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Suzie wrote:
Hi Iolanthe, Great to see that you registered for the Super Challenge! Wish you a great start and joyful reading experiences!

I absolutely understand why you quit Afrikaans. I have difficulties to cope with huge similarities between two languages as well.

Did you enjoy Koningsdag?

Hello Suzie, thanks for stopping by my log. I'm glad to see you're also taking part in the Super Challenge!

On Koningsdag I still wasn't up to much after the surgery but I watched some of the tv coverage of Willem-Alexander greeting the public and had the obligatory orange
pastry in the form of a soesje.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5428 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 29 of 88
06 May 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Week 18: 883 minutes
Total: 10689 minutes or 178h 9m

My passive skills are progressing nicely. I've gone from looking up every word when I read a
news article, to being able to slowly decifer the text while looking up the occasional word.
It depends on the subject of the text but something is definitely happening in my brain. My
current routine is as follows:

Assimil NFWE active wave
Assimil Using French "passive wave"
Anki
Listen/Read RFI Journal en Français facile
Read one short article from Le Monde
I also do some sort of listening for 30+ minutes

And because of the Super Challenge I had picked up Persepolis again and I'm slowing working
through it. I really need to finish up FSI Phonology too. I'm enjoying French at the moment.
Every day I think about how glad I am that I chose to learn French. I love this language!

NL:
En om mij nog blijer te maken heeft Nederland ook nog de finale van het Eurovisie
Songfestival gehaald! Er waren veel goede liedjes maar gelukkig hebben Ilse en Waylon
verstandige keuzes gemaakt qua presentatie en is het weer een tweede jaar gelukt om de finale
te halen. Ik ben echt superfan van Eurovisie dus de komende week ga je waarschijnlijk er de
nog meer over horen!

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5428 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 30 of 88
13 May 2014 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Français
Week 19: 711 minutes
Total: 11400 minutes or 190h

Slowly working through Persepolis. I finished tome 1. Of course, I'm not able to
understand everything I read at this point but with the illustrations and a dictionary
at hand I'm able to follow the story. I'm so glad French has so many amazing graphic
novels. When I'm done with the Persepolis series, I get to choose a new series! Yay for
fun!

Nederlands

I added Dutch to my Super Challenge! I actually have no intention of fulfilling the
listening part. I hope that doesn't bother anyone but the thing is I hear Dutch pretty
much the whole day through. However, I don't do enough reading so 100 books would be
very beneficial to my Dutch.

Ilse en Waylon eindigden als tweede, jaaaa! En de mooie Conchita heeft gewonnen. Had ik
maar drie maanden geleden gewed op Oostenrijk, was ik een paar honderd euro rijker op
dit moment! Volgende keer zal ik meer gaan opletten voor mijn magisch voorspelende
Eurovisie intuïtie.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5353 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 31 of 88
13 May 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Je gaat het super challenge ook meedoen, leuk! Heb je al een stapel boeken op het oog? Ik ga met De Hongerspelen
beginnen en dan wat Nederlandse kinderklassiekers zoals Kinderen van Moeder Aarde lezen denk ik. Heb je al
wat mooie Nederlandse boeken gelezen?

Veel succes met het Super Challenge!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 32 of 88
14 May 2014 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Iolanthe wrote:
I'm enjoying French at the moment. Every day I think about how glad I am that I chose to learn
French. I love this language!

What a lovely post to read! It's nice to see people taking joy in their language learning. Continue le beau travail!

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version