Triglot
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 1 of 4
11 January 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
I am currently reading to Der Geschmack von Apfelkerne. It contains the following:
"Die »verdrehten Wörter« waren so etwas wie ein Hobby. Oder war es eine Krankheit? Es kam vielleicht auf
dasselbe heraus. Der Taubenhaucher gehörte zu meinen Lieblingstieren ebenso wie das
Kuschbänguruh
und die Dringsossel. Ich fand es lustig,über das grüne Klo zu leben , und liebte
jenes Herbst-Gedicht, das mit der Aufforderung begann, doch umgehend in den totgeparkten Sarg zu
kommen
. Wie Luftschutzkellertreppen aussahen, konnte ich mir vorstellen, aber was waren
Schuftlutztellerkreppen ? Ich vermutete eine Art Einwickelpapier für Geschirr, das auch als Maske für
Raubüberfälle verwendbar war."

Regarding the words in bold, I know these are meant to be funny malapropisms or slips of the tongue, but I am
attempting to puzzle them out. These may just be accidental, like children say pisghetti instead of spaghetti or
adults say caccuppino instead of cappuccino. Any comments are welcome and appreciated. Vielen Dank in
Voraus.

- Taubenhaucher /Haubentaucher =Bad breath (literally pigeon-breather?) / a type of bird (great crested grebe,
if that means anything to you)
- Kuschbänguruh /Buschkänguruh = ?/bush kangaroo
- Dringsossel /Singdrossel= ?/song thrush (bird)
- über das grüne Klo zu leben /über den grünen Klee zu loben=live over a green toilet v. praise to the skies?
- doch umgehend in den totgeparkten Sarg zu kommen: vielleicht Gras anstatt Sarg? aber totgeparkten?
-Luftschutzkellertreppen/Schuftlutztellerkreppen: Air-raid shelter steps v. what is the connection between
Maske für Raubüberfälle and Schuftlutz? The Tellerkreppen seems self-explanatory in the text.
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4330 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 4
11 January 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
These seem to be "Schüttler", ie. you need to exchange the same part (onset, nucleus,
coda) of two main syllables to get to the right word.

"Maske für Raubüberfälle and Schuftlutz?"
Schuft is a bad/naughty guy

"totgeparkten Sarg"
[to:t.g@.'pa:k.t@n 'za:k]
It's a phonetic puzzle here, I gave you the transcription (not 100% standard
pronunciation because of the 'r', but Schüttler sometimes need sloppy pronunciation to
work), can you see what you need to exchange now? It's tricky because of things like
final devoicing and vocalization of "r".

Edited by daegga on 11 January 2014 at 10:53pm

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5129 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 4
12 January 2014 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Haubentaucher, Buschkänguru(h) and Singdrossel are all normal animal names that aren't funny or strange.

über den grünen Klee zu loben [= to praise someone/something a lot]
totgeparkten Sarg zu kommen => in den totgesagten Park zu kommen

BTW, I'm impressed that you figured most of these out without help.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 4 of 4
12 January 2014 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for the help. I found the English version of the book online and saw examples like pippohotamus,
etc., so that started me off in the right direction.

@Doitsujin,Thanks for the encouraging words, but I was just googling combined with educated guessing, so my first
attempt was not completely unassisted. Haubentaucher/Taubenhaucher wasn't too difficult to figure out for
example, especially in the context of Tieren.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version