Rinsom
United States
Joined 3764 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
12 January 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm Rinsom. I've been hanging out (i.e. lurking hardcore) for a few years now, but decided to finally bite the bullet, make an account, and say hi (to say I'm shy would probably be severe understatement).

Anyway, I've been trying to learn Spanish on and off since high school, with a brief flirtation with Japanese along the way, and hadn't made much progress, but things have gotten easier since I've started lurking on the forum. I'm still not that far along really, at the moment probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate, but I've figured out what works for me now and don't feel like I'm spinning my wheels anymore. Which is a relief, because for a while I thought I just wasn't good at learning languages, which really stumped me, because I've got a grad level degree in literature and I'm a writer. For a long time it was like, 'okay I can write a paper on Chaucer but I can't remember the word for cow in Spanish, what is wrong with my brain?' Thankfully, though, that thinking has mostly gone away now and I've gotten rid of most of the negativity.
2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3775 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 2 of 3
13 January 2014 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Don't sweat it man. Everybody forgets words, even the basic ones at times. The other day I was having trouble remembering the English equivalent of "ganar" because a lot of Spanish vocab occupies my head. Or sometimes I can only remember a word in Spanish.

How are you learning Spanish/Japanese? What resources are you using? Native ones, podcasts, audiobooks? Let me know if you want any suggestions. Good luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

Rinsom
United States
Joined 3764 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 3
13 January 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Thanks. Yeah, I get that. Now especially. I've grown out of the perfectionism quite a bit, which has helped a lot.

I'm using FSI, along with a reference grammar, for Spanish right now. At first I was just using it cause it didn't cost anything, but I found that oddly enough the drilling did the trick. In addition to that I'm doing flashcards with Anki and just absorbing as much of the language as possible: Spanish tv, various newspapers (but mostly el pais at the moment), trying to do more online searches in Spanish, and I'm finally digging into that volume of Harry Potter I got a year or so ago.

As for Japanese at the moment I'm just mostly trying to keep a maintenance level on the kana. It's something I plan to go back to in a couple of years and I don't want to be too rusty, but I'm not sweating it that much.

And I'm always open to suggestions. I love finding new ways to play around with/switch up my study material.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version