Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7038 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 1 of 8
13 January 2014 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
And now for something that does not have an immediate use for me :p
I'm not spending a whole lot of time on this per day, maybe 30 minutes, because I don't
want it to get in the way of Cebuano. Given the right conditions, I might drop it
altogether.

When I tried out some new techniques for language learning, I used some Hungarian,
because the vocabulary is mostly it's own and I can't trick myself into any grand
abilities. I tried it once before with a language 30 thing (listen, repeat phrasebook)
and just couldn't get anywhere, reason being that my Grandfather was a native speaker.

Anyway, I worked through some FSI courses before, but I'm taking a more relaxed
approach this time, and have a multiple passes planed. Here they are:

1) study the vocab (Goldlist)
2) read the dialogues using the English twice, then just the TL (about an hour)
3) be able to listen to them easily (I don't know how long this will take)
4) work the exercises (for speaking)

So in a way I guess this is also a test of how long it will take me to understand
spoken language.

Anyway, after starting this venture, I kind of have the bug to keep going. I'm using
the FSI course. I can read the dialogues ok up through lesson 6. Lesson 1 I can listen
to at the slower speed, but right now I'm working at the native speed.

I'm on the 3rd day so far of listening to the full speed of lesson 1. I guess I could
push myself to get all the words (like I've done in the past) but I don't think that
will be good in the long term. It gets a little easier each day.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7038 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 2 of 8
14 January 2014 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Well, I noticed that I was NOT listening to the native speed, so I started doing that
yesterday, and I noticed no change in difficulty. I avoid looking back at the written
dialogue until I know for sure what I'm hearing... like, I know this is a word, and I can
repeat it, but the meaning isn't coming easily. I won't strain to figure it out. One time
I thought there was an extra word in the sentence, and it ended up being an ending. I
know I'm moving forward, but I wish I had a way to measure it.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4054 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 8
14 January 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with this, I have to say the Hungarian FSI course has been my favorite of the FSI courses I've started using so far.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7038 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 4 of 8
15 January 2014 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
ok, so this is the 5th day. I felt things getting easier, but as I tried to hear more, I
noticed that I would fill in the meaning from the dialog because I'm starting to know it
so well. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. There was one part (and I know it was 4
words) that I just kept playing over and over and I finally was able to hear what is
said, and immediately pieced together the meaning. (I am hungry, I would like to eat)

The native speed of the dialog is less that 3 minutes, so at least I don't have to spend
very long on it in a day and since I'm not doing so much in a day(as I would in the past)
I'm not beating my head on the wall till I get everything.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7038 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 8
16 January 2014 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
still moving forward. I still found section VII of lesson 1 particularly opaque. I
glanced at the book and it's asking about times. I heard 2 words clearly "vonat" (I
assumed to be leave) and "kamence" (I assumed to be start). The first is "train" and the
second was "a mozi/the movie" with a k sound picked up from the end of the word before
it. I think I just messed this one up because I didn't expect these to be at the end of
the sentence. I'll take a closer look, but leave some time before I listen again.

Yesterday I looked at the construction "kis ur/mr little" and again my brain wanted it to
be in the same order as English and so I thought "kis" was mister. Just reading it would
not have been a problem. Today this order felt natural.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7038 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 6 of 8
17 January 2014 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Well here it is, it's been a week of less than an hour a day, and I understand almost all
of what's said. Quite easily if I play it twice in a row. One of the things that I missed
was that "en" is "I", but I guess I wasn't expecting it because "I" is in the verb.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7038 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 7 of 8
20 January 2014 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Well, I unintentionally skipped a few days. Today listening to lesson one the things
that were understandable last time have been upgraded to "clear as day" :)

Upon a second listening I got everything. The odd thing to me this time was adding "-
kor" to the end of a number to tell time. Study time today, about 8 minutes.

At this point I wonder if my goal is just to be able to listen & understand, and I just
started this instead of goldlisting first, would it go any faster? or be about the same?

Edited by ElComadreja on 20 January 2014 at 8:29am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7038 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 8 of 8
24 January 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
Ok, due to too much language in one day, I'm going to push out further listening until
march 18.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version