821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 81 of 232
28 January 2014 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
kanewai wrote:
Bonjour à tous!

J'ai fait un petit update TID=30438&TPN=30">içi.

Et pour votre plaisir, MHz Networks tien des émissions de
Nicholas le floch, avec les sous-titres
en anglais. Check it out if you have the chance.    

Kanewai's also confirmed his move to Team Deuxième - Welcome, Kanewai! - Glad to have you on
board.

Re. The MHz links: if anyone trying it is outside the U.S., the video probably won't be available to you.
(Though there are technical work-arounds in way of unblockers - which I haven't yet tried.)

Yes welcome Kanewai.... I read some of your posts yesterday and really like the idea you have about slowing
down or at least learning very thoroughly as opposed to moving ahead fast just to attain a 'higher' level albeit
with a not-so-solid foundation. I'm finding that I need to slow down with Assimil NFWE just to let it sink in a bit
better (i was aiming to do a lesson a day, which i am, but not absorbing it as well). Now I'll just do similar
hours of study but spread it across my other materials (more balanced). And thanks for the links :) Good luck!

PM
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 82 of 232
28 January 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

1) homme politique, femme politique (nm,f)
2) politicien, politicienne (nm,f)
3) politique (nm- une personne, pas les autres définitions stp)
4) politicard (nm)

Merci à l'avance !

2) is the one most commonly used in my area
3) I've never heard "politique" used as a noun to refer to a person (doesn't mean it doesn't exist - just that it's not
used in that way in my experience)
4) a derogatory term for a politician (not a very common usage where I live; I've heard my French-from-France
colleague use it)

This godparenting is a bit tricky! I'm kind of worried that I might lead someone astray! ;) Please understand that
I'm speaking only from my experience - and that my experience is very specific to my region. I've never even
been to a French-speaking country in Europe!

Merci,
S
3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 83 of 232
28 January 2014 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

4) politicard (nm)

Merci à l'avance !

3) I've never heard "politique" used as a noun to refer to a person (doesn't mean it doesn't exist - just that it's
not
4) a derogatory term for a politician (not a very common usage where I live; I've heard my French-from-
France
colleague use it)

This godparenting is a bit tricky! I'm kind of worried that I might lead someone astray! ;) Please understand
that
I'm speaking only from my experience - and that my experience is very specific to my region. I've never even
been to a French-speaking country in Europe!

Merci,
S

Merci beaucoup pour ton aide Stelle. Je comprends que tu n'es pas de France, et que c'est possible que
quelque fois tes réponses sont correctes au Canada mais pas en Europe. Si quelqu'un m'a demandé qch à
propos de l'anglais, eh bien, je ne suis pas anglais, mais je ne suis pas américain non plus. La langue est un
peu différente. Ne t'inquiète pas, pas de problème. Je te remercie :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 84 of 232
28 January 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

4) politicard (nm)

Merci à l'avance !

3) I've never heard "politique" used as a noun to refer to a person (doesn't mean it doesn't exist - just that it's not
4) a derogatory term for a politician (not a very common usage where I live; I've heard my French-from-France
colleague use it)

Je suis d'accord avec Stelle.

J'ajouterais toutefois que 1) est habituellement utilisé dans un sens positif, comme quand on décrit la carrière de
qqn ou qu'on dit qu'il s'agit d'un "grand homme". "Homme politique" a donc un sens plus positif, plus noble que
"politicien".

J'ai vérifié 3) et même si c'est correct, c'est un usage rare.

==> Find the team’s answers, including references, recordings or photos when necessary,
here <==

Edited by Arekkusu on 28 January 2014 at 10:16pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 85 of 232
28 January 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Stelle wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

4) politicard (nm)

Merci à l'avance !

3) I've never heard "politique" used as a noun to refer to a person (doesn't mean it doesn't exist - just that it's
not
4) a derogatory term for a politician (not a very common usage where I live; I've heard my French-from-
France
colleague use it)

Je suis d'accord avec Stelle.

J'ajouterais toutefois que 1) est habituellement utilisé dans un sens positif, comme quand on décrit la carrière
de
qqn ou qu'on dit qu'il s'agit d'un "grand homme". "Homme politique" a donc un sens plus positif, plus noble
que
"politicien".

J'ai vérifié 3) et même si c'est correct, c'est un usage rare.

==> Find the team’s answers, including references, recordings or photos when necessary,
here <==

Merci Arekkusu, ça c'est clair :) Et merci aussi pour ton aide en général avec notre équipe d'étudiants de la
belle langue qui est le français :)
----------------------------------
EN Translation:
Thanks Arrekusu, that's clear :) And thanks also for your help in general with our team of students of the
beautiful language that is French :)

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 30 January 2014 at 7:09am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 86 of 232
29 January 2014 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
I came up with an approach to make getting through FSI easier. That is, rather than perfect each unit one at a time until the end... Do this:

a) Learn the dialogue. That's on tape 1 of each unit.
b) Go on to tape 2, which is usually pretty easy. It has lexical drills (variations of phrases in the dialogue).
c) Continue with tapes through the Grammar / Learning exercises. There are also meant to be fairly easy.
d) Skip the Practice exercises if they are difficult. At least, don't spend the time to perfect them.
e) Don't worry too much about drills you don't get down, unless they are "Learning" drills. (then only sweat it a little).
f) Skip the Review drills.
g) Move on to the next unit.

Later, once you either finish the course or the approach above becomes too difficult to continue, then go back and do it again, but include the Practices and Reviews.

Edited by luke on 29 January 2014 at 4:13pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 87 of 232
29 January 2014 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
A couple of years ago I posted a link to the online videos and transcripts in several foreign languages at LangMedia.

Since I first stumbled on the site, the colleges involved have added more videos (and their transcripts). For your interest, here are the French ones.

CultureTalk Senegal (videos by native speakers about various cultural facets in one of English, French or Wolof. Videos in French or Wolof are accompanied by transcripts with translations to English)
French (combined index) (a lot of video reenactments of phrases or exchanges in phrasebooks; a handy way to see "phrasebook material" in action)

In the last collection there are links to show varieties from a handful of French-speaking countries rather than a sparser division between European and non-European French. You may find French in Canada to be of particular interest.

Enjoy.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 88 of 232
31 January 2014 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
I've signed up for the 6wc in French, anyone else planning on signing up?

I've done a whole bunch of French challenges, but I personally feel I'm still scraping
the top edge of beginner, possibly squeezing into the bottom of lower intermediate.
Nevertheless, I enjoy the experience of a 6wc, especially the extra motivation to do a
little bit more than usual, like those extra 15 minutes of reading just before bed,
etc.

I'm planning on doing French for this, and possibly the next 6wc. Then I'll probably
do
Hindi for the next few.

EDIT: I find it is helpful to have a few goals for a 6wc. Here are mine, in order of
priority:
1. Finish the passive wave of Assimil. I'm currently around lesson 85 or so. I'm not
going to do the active wave though, because that is actually one of the things which
currently keeps me from doing Assimil. Instead, I'll finish the passive wave, and then
start back at the beginning (obviously moving faster), and when I get to lesson 50 the
second time, I'll try the active wave again.
2. Re-do Michel Thomas Total French. I listened to it a couple of years ago, but I
didn't do the vocab cd's that are part of the Total French package.
3. Finish Pimsleur IIIa. (I've done about 5 of 15 units, but I'll start again).
4. Make some headway into Hugo French in 3 Months. This is obviously for review
purposes, and to make sure I have a solid grasp of all of those niggling little bits of
basic grammar I may have let slide.

I'll probably also do a bit of FSI (I'm currently working on unit 7 of Basic French 1),
keep up my anki vocab, keep reading, listening to music, and I'll definitely watch some
films and TV shows I have recorded on my sky box and on my LoveFilm playlist.

So, it will be a full 6 weeks!

Edited by Jeffers on 31 January 2014 at 12:32pm

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version