Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 201 of 232
21 June 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
J'ai trouvé quelques recommandations pour les livres qui ne sont pas trop difficiles.

Oscar Wilde - Le Prince Heureux.
The Happy Prince.

C'est une belle histoire qui me rappelle de L'homme qui plantait des arbres.
4 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 202 of 232
22 June 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
J'ai trouvé
quel
ques recommandations pour les livres qui ne sont pas trop difficiles

Thanks, Luke; I recognize some of the titles from my English language reading, and expect some of the
others on Deuxième may too. For example, "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas"; the Lois Lowry, which I think
is "Number the Stars" in English; Roald Dahl's "Matilda"; "Emile and the Detectives" (trans into English, of
course); and from the BD section Tintin, Asterix, and the Blake and Mortimer. The Anna Gavalda (she's a
best selling author in France) is available as "95 lbs of Hope" - they did the conversion from metric to imperial
in the title too!

So at least those should be available if people want English versions to use as parallel texts. - Are there
others that people know of?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 203 of 232
23 June 2014 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
luke wrote:
J'ai trouvé
quel
ques recommandations pour les livres qui ne sont pas trop difficiles

Thanks, Luke; I recognize some of the titles from my English language reading, and expect some of the
others on Deuxième may too. For example, "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas"; the Lois Lowry, which I think
is "Number the Stars" in English; Roald Dahl's "Matilda"; "Emile and the Detectives" (trans into English, of
course); and from the BD section Tintin, Asterix, and the Blake and Mortimer. The Anna Gavalda (she's a
best selling author in France) is available as "95 lbs of Hope" - they did the conversion from metric to imperial
in the title too!

So at least those should be available if people want English versions to use as parallel texts. - Are there
others that people know of?

I recognize Un sac de billes, which looks like a good story about two Jewish boys during the occupation of France. Apparently it's the author's autobiography. It's available on kindle, and I plan to get it sometime soon.

I've never heard of it, but Enquête au collège looks like it's a popular series. I might have to check it out, but unfortunately it's not on kindle.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 204 of 232
01 July 2014 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians on Team Deuxième! -
And here's a bit of Canadian content to share...

Many of you who read mysteries may aleardy know of this award-winning author, but I discovered her books
only very recently: Louise Penny.

Don't be deceived the the "cosy" settings of many of her novels: the small communities of the the Eastern
Townships of Quebec. These aren't Agatha Christies. At least two of her main characters go into some
deeper and pschologically darker terrain (no blood and gore) terrain, such as post-traumatic stress syndrome,
alcoholism, and addiction to prescription meds. But her policiers aren't of the bleak "Scandinavian" type:
Penny writes with an empathy which offers the possibility of hope, love, redemption, and - as she says on her
website - the knowledge "that goodness exists".

I've finished only a few of her English-language titles, and have just begun my first in French, but have found
some beautiful, graceful, and even moving writing.

-----

Sizen, you may particularly enjoy "Bury the Dead", as it's mostly set in old Quebec City. It was the first
one I read, and the one I'm reading in French. It also - opens with a cliffhanger (in a smaller paralllel plot line
which comes to affect both plot and character development in the following books).

Despite the French Wikipedia, her more recent works have been translated into French. And strangely,
Amazon Canada doesn't seem to make it easy for customers to limit their searches to books in French.
Irritatingly, the site seems to make me have to log in before it'll offer to limit the search to books in
French. There's a "parcourir par boutique" link on the upper-left-most corner, but an actual search for author
after choosing "tous les livres francophones" yielded English titles too.

As some of the English books have variant titles, and some of the French likewise (publishers'decisions),
here's the list, as far as I can sort them variously out. They're in reading order, though they can be read
independently:

1/ Still Life. Nature morte (France); En plein couer (Canada)
2/ A Fatal Grace (Can); Dead Cold (USA, UK); Sous la glace.
3/ The Cruelest Month; Le mois plus cruel
4/ The Murder Storm (Can); A Rule Against Murder (USA); Défense de tuer
5/ The Brutal Tellling; Revelation brutale
6/ Bury Your Dead; Enterrez vos mort
7/A Trick of the Light; Illusion de lumière
8/ The Beautiful Mystery; Le beau mystère.

Author site English
French section author site Fre

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 205 of 232
01 July 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Un grand bravo to all Team2 members! I read your logs, and am impressed by your commitment and
enthusiasm. I think that there were six updated Team2 logs this morning! I don't usually comment, but I do read.

Enjoy the summer!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 206 of 232
06 July 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
So I've been struggling through Unit 7 of FSI French I. Not a bad struggle that makes me want to quit, but a really tough mental workout on many of the exercises. The end of tape 8 had some particularly mind-melting exercises, so I thought I would copy them out and share them with you:

FSI French Unit 7, tape 8, exercises A4-A6

Even if you're not a fan of FSI, I'd be curious to know what you all think of these exercises. Bear in mind that not all of the exercises in this unit were as difficult as these. The clip is just under 7 minutes long.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 207 of 232
06 July 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
So I've been struggling through Unit 7 of FSI French I. Not a bad struggle that makes me
want to quit, but a really tough mental workout on many of the exercises. The end of tape 8 had some
particularly mind-melting exercises, so I thought I would copy them out and share them with you:

FSI French Unit 7, tape 8, exercises A4-A6

Even if you're not a fan of FSI, I'd be curious to know what you all think of these exercises.

Those were all exercises I did several times. I just basically wrapped up unit 7. Tapes 9 and 10 were also
challenging. I got to where I alternated between the two to keep things fresh. Unit 8 looks like it covers a lot
of good stuff too. I'm looking forward to moving on. The good thing about FSI French is that when you start a
new unit, it's easier for at least a couple of tapes. There are definitely ups and downs in each unit. The good
part is that each exercise is not progressively more difficult. Once they move on to a new grammar point, it
gets easier for a bit.

I didn't quite to justice to tape 11. That's one I expect to tighten up when I do another wave through.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 208 of 232
06 July 2014 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
I think it's worth working on some of the exercises several times, but you also need to move on. Like you, I'll come back to these again later on, and I hope they'll be a lot easier.

I don't know if it's worth doing a full second wave (there are 80 hours of audio, after all), but maybe I need to keep track of the tape numbers that had difficult exercises, and just do a second wave on those.

Anyone else want to take a crack at those 3 exercises I linked to?

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version