Joined 4988 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 232
18 January 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
A quick heads-up:

Registration for February's Six-Week Challenge is now open. Info. about the challenge is on the page linked
in her post

1 person has voted this message useful

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3900 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 34 of 232
18 January 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
enrdbrow wrote:
A massive THANKYOU! for creating and leading this second team
Songlines, and more importantly for adding me to the list :)

Here is a link to my log: language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37676&PN=1&TPN=1">DB' s French Log (I'll
change the name once we have settled on one).

Some resources I've recently come across:

- source=auto&query=">Linguee.fr I've been using Linguee.fr to see some extra
example usage of vocabulary that I'm putting into ANKI that I get from Teach Yourself
French (I'm thinking more context, more understanding and the better I'll remember)

-
Litterature/Le%20petit%20Nicolas/un_souvenir_quon_va_chrir.h tml">Le Petit Nicolas
The first book is available to read online with audio and with exercises for each
chapter.

- option=com_content&view=article&id=67:french-with-the-little -prince&catid=6:2012-01-31-
19-04-23&Itemid=10">Le Petit Prince
Text and audio available online using the Ilya
Frank Reading Method. I plan on reading this after I finish my "Easy French Reader" at
the end of January.

Bonne chance à tout le monde et poursuivez votre bon travail!

J'ai ce livre ici chez moi - Le Petit Prince. Je n'ai pas lu encore!

Merci pour le conseil. Si j'avais de temps, J'irai essayer de utiliser le audio avec la
lecture, tout ensemble.

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4118 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 35 of 232
19 January 2014 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
@sognlines I think we're all a little reticent to pick a team name right now because there isn't really any pressure to choose a name yet. Maybe we should set a strict deadline. I know you've suggested the 21st or 22nd, but no one is really voting or suggesting right now. Announcing an official deadline for the name might speed things along, even if it's for the end of the month or something. I'm personally a fan of Deuxième just because it's easy and can be shortened to 2e or 2ème. Plus it sounds very modest. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4988 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 232
19 January 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Sizen wrote:
songlines I think we're all a little reticent to pick a team name right now because there
isn't really any pressure to choose a name yet. Maybe we should set a strict deadline. I know you've
suggested the 21st or 22nd, but no one is really voting or suggesting right now. Announcing an official
deadline for the name might speed things along, even if it's for the end of the month or something. I'm
personally a fan of Deuxième just because it's easy and can be shortened to 2e or 2ème. Plus it sounds very
modest. :)

Yes, I'd been thinking along those lines. Thanks!

I have now opened registration to this team; any new members will also be able to weigh in on their
preferences.

Team names!
Nominations / suggestions for team names will be open till 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Wed 22nd Jan.
Voting for team names will close at 11:59 p.m. EST, Sat 25th Jan. I'll post the result on Sun 26th.

So start/ keep brainstorming, people! Voting will be done on this thread. Please unambiguously state "I vote
for - whatever it is - as the team name".

- Hope that's okay. I know not everyone checks in the forum daily, but a few days for each part of the process
should be do-able for all. I'll keep updating the first page, where I have a list of the names suggested so far.
So check that for the latest.

Edited by songlines on 19 January 2014 at 5:36pm

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4988 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 232
19 January 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
For any prospective members following this thread: Signup is now open!   

Please read my first post, and also post 31
for info. on team numbers. I have to head out to work, but will check back tonight (and after, of course),
and keep the tally updated on that first page until we reach our 20 limit.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3923 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 38 of 232
20 January 2014 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
Bonjour team deux!

I hear that you might be looking for a godmother!

I'd like to offer any help or support that I can. I'm a French Canadian and I've been teaching French immersion -
first to children and now to adults - for a little over 10 years. I'd be happy to answer any questions or help in any
way!

I'm a member of two TAC teams (Lobo for Spanish and Coconut for Tagalog), and between language learning and
work and procrastinating on housework, I can't promise to read all of your logs daily. But I will try my best.

I'll always keep an eye on this thread - so please feel free to post any questions!

I will be away from March 15th to April 29th to travel in Spain, so hopefully there will be a co-godparent who can
help pick up my slack.

Bon courage!
S

Edited by Stelle on 20 January 2014 at 12:33am

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4988 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 232
20 January 2014 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
That's delightful news; many thanks, Stelle, and welcome to our fledgeling team!

Godparents / Guardian angels

For those who aren't familiar with the concept as used here on Htlal, a godparent (godfather, godmother, or
"guardian angel") is (as Serpent and Josquin have, among others, succinctly defined it) "a native
speaker who offers advice to the team". Each team and its godparent/angel is free to negotiate any finer
points of their respective roles and expectations (on each side), but here are some general practices that
many other teams follow, and which she's kindly agreed to.

- The godparent is not expected to follow individual team member logs! They're welcome to do so, but
it's not mandatory.

- Any specific questions about the language, of general interest, that a native speaker might be best qualified
to chime in on, can be posted on this team thread. So that's the only thread the godparent would need to
follow. She would also answer on the same thread, so everyone can benefit from the info.

- As always, if anyone else, whether on the team or not, whether a godparent or not, is able to answer
the question correctly, or suggest a resource for the answer (e.g. linguee.com for contexts in which a word is
used), they can and should do so.

- If the godparent wishes, he/she could certainly clarify, amplify, or correct said answer, if appropriate.

- Team members can also always post their questions in the "Questions about a specific language" sub-
forums.

-------
Stelle's concerned that she might not have time to properly discharge her duties as a godmother (there's that
thing called "real life" making pesky demands of us all), and would be glad to do it on a co-godparenting /
part-time* basis.

I will put out a call in the TAC signup page and our team thread, asking for any volunteers for a co-godparent.
(Perhaps a native speaker from France - or elsewhere in the Francophone world? - would be a good
complement?)

But I've also taken the liberty of assuring her that if she feels she needs to take a "leave of absence" (e.g. for
her vacation or any other reason); or bow out altogether, we will - if she lets us know (she's not planning to
unceremoniously abandon us without a peep) - all understand.

*For team members, this means she might not necessarily be able to answer your questions right away; or
have time to go into detailed explanations. See my note above about other people, whether godparents or
not, chiming in with answers.

So: welcome again, Stelle!   

An amusing exchange on the TAC 2014 thread to finish with:
posts 17-19 - Can't promise you any protection
money, but protection money or no (well, no), you'll have our gratitude!

Edited by songlines on 20 January 2014 at 1:42pm

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4008 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 40 of 232
20 January 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
After the registration is now open to all, I am happy to switch from Team Triomphe to this brand new team, and I hope we have a good time together!

Songline and Stelle, thanks for your time and support here!

I moved to Belgium a few months ago and am now desperately trying to improve my French. I am currently at a solid B1 and hope to hit the C1 line by end of the year, knowing this means huge effort. Here is my log.

And I am in favour of the name "Deuxième", too. I like its simplicity.

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version