Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4003 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 16
14 January 2014 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone, a belated Happy New Year.

I was just thinking about some of the regional languages in Spain, namely Galician,
Catalan and Basque. Are there many people, if at all, who speak a regional language but
are unable to speak Spanish? Does anyone know of such a case? I was told a few years
ago that the further you go from the cities, the more likely that it would be that you
could find someone who just spoke Catalan (specific to Catalan because Basque and
Galician aren't as widely spoken).

A couple of months ago, I watched a documentary about a German woman who learned
Catalan without previously knowing Spanish and she went travelling around the Catalan-
speaking regions of Spain (and France and Andorra I believe), called 'Són bojs aquests
catalans?!', which suggested that it would be relatively difficult if you couldn't
speak Spanish even if you could understand a lot due to lexical similarity. Has anyone
tried to learn a regional Spanish language before Spanish (Castilian) itself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftx66V3DbIs

I'm not referring to foreigners who do not manage to learn any language spoken in Spain
at all, but rather to the scenario of living in Spain, while knowing a regional
language but not Spanish, irrespective of other languages spoken (which can still apply
to foreigners, such as the German lady).
1 person has voted this message useful

michaelyus
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4374 days ago

53 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Italian, French, Cantonese, Korean, Catalan, Vietnamese, Lingala, Spanish
Studies: Hokkien

Message 2 of 16
14 January 2014 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Last time I was in Catalonia (in the Garrotxa), I noticed a lot of second-generation
immigrants to Spain whose most proficient language was Catalan, followed by their home
language, then their Castilian (and then their Mandarin - I was among Chinese-speaking
immigrants).
2 persons have voted this message useful

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4368 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 3 of 16
14 January 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Regarding Catalan -- in my experience, pretty much everyone who was raised in Spain speaks fluent Spanish, although people may be more or less comfortable with it depending on how often they actually use it. Far away from cities there may be some older people who don't speak it well at all, although I can't guarantee that as I have never met such people.

As for immigrants, it is certainly possible to learn Catalan and not Spanish, depending on where you live. In Barcelona, it would be inconvenient, since people there tend to be very comfortable with both languages and many people prefer to speak in Spanish, particularly to foreigners.

This is slightly unrelated, but I knew a good amount of immigrants in Andorra (mostly French or English speakers) who spoke Catalan and not (or very little) Spanish. However, when they went to Catalonia, they had trouble because people there often hear a foreign accent and immediately switch to Spanish (because they assume all foreigners speak Spanish better, and because they are not required to stick to Catalan like they are in Andorra).
3 persons have voted this message useful

oziohume
Bilingual Hexaglot
Belgium
Joined 4547 days ago

30 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Catalan, Italian, French, German
Studies: Dutch

Message 4 of 16
15 January 2014 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
I have actually met in Galicia several people in their late seventies and eighties who
did not speak Spanish at all, among them members of my family. Regarding Catalan, I
haven't met such people, only some who didn't speak great Spanish but could communicate
almost without problems.
However, nowadays my experience is that this phenomenon exists almost exclusively in the
countryside among older generations.

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4135 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 5 of 16
15 January 2014 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
My great-grandfather was Galician, and my dad told me once that it was difficult to
understand him at times, because he used "lots of strange words".

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 6 of 16
15 January 2014 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
I have a feeling that Barcelona is slightly similar to Montréal, in terms of
bilingualism. They would continue in Catalan unless the interlocutor has difficulties,
and then they might switch to Spanish, especially if a foreign accent is heard, similar
to how they switch to English from French in Montréal if a foreign accent or (perceived)
difficulty is heard in the French of the interlocutor.

I think that in some regions, perhaps they only know the regional language, but most are
bilingual. Spain have local television that probably help to foster learning their
regional languages, like this programme:

Valencians pel Món: Lisboa

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4860 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 7 of 16
15 January 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Well, I was in Galicia, Basque Country, Navarre, Catalonia, Aragon, Majorca and
Valencia. I am Spaniard.

Everybody speaks Spanish as first or second language. Perhaps some old people in the
countryside don't speak Spanish, but Spanish is the mother tongue of the 90% of the
population.

In Catalonia, for example, Spanish is the mother tongue of the majority of the
population. Catalan is the second language. Besides, a lot of times, the father speaks
in Spanish and the mother in Catalan, or the opposite. So, a lot of people is
bilingual.

So, if you go to Barcelona, Valencia, Zaragoza or Majorca you only need Spanish to
visit these cities. If you live a lot of time in Barcelona, for instance, I recommend
at least, a basic Catalan to understand people, labels, signs, etc.

http://elpais.com/diario/2009/06/30/catalunya/1246324046_850 215.html

labujía
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4003 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 8 of 16
15 January 2014 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
@anamsc2 - OK, that's quite interesting; I assume that they would have still been able to
read and listen to Spanish though? If you knew only one of Catalan or Galician but not
Spanish, which do you think would facilitate learning Spanish more? I'm not too sure
myself given that Galician is more similar to Portuguese (which is still relatively
similar to Spanish).

@Mad Max - I am aware of this; it's just that someone I know is applying for a job in
Barcelona and he's convinced that everyone who grew up in Spain speaks Spanish and that
therefore, nobody relies solely on a regional language. I think that I'll try learning
some basic Catalan before the next time that I go to Barcelona though, as native speakers
seem to appreciate the effort.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version