mr_intl_dj
United States
Joined 6493 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 8
14 January 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Hello!

When I was practicing reading sentences(with the help of audio-text). I know some of
the rules with the liaisions and shortcuts like not saying "ne" in ne...pas. But came
across this sentence;

Je vous ai acheté quelque chose à la pâtisserie.

Only one voice said all the words.
Most of them it was like they were saying,

Je vous "ache" quelque chose à la pâtisserie. "ache"- sounds like eng. "ash"

One person said the sentence like this:

Je vous acheté quelque chose à la pâtisserie.

Can someone explain this me?

thanks

DJ
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
14 January 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
mr_intl_dj wrote:

Most of them it was like they were saying,

Je vous "ache" quelque chose à la pâtisserie. "ache"- sounds like eng. "ash"

Without the recording, it's impossible for me to tell, but there are at least two things to watch for here:

1. The first "e" in acheté is normally silent, giving something like "achté".

2. The "t" is a French "t", which means it's more like an unvocalized English "d". Try holding your hand in front of your mouth and making English "t" and "d" sounds. You should feel a puff of air for the first, and not for the second. In French, neither sound has a puff of air, which can throw off listening comprehension sometimes.

Keeping both those things in mind, does that make the recording any clearer? If not, feel free to post a couple of seconds of sound online somewhere for us to listen to.

Edited by emk on 14 January 2014 at 3:50pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5239 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 3 of 8
14 January 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
emb's explanation is basically correct but there's a bit more going on here. First of all, keep in mind that, just like
English, when French is spoken quickly words are contracted and certain sounds will become very weak or
disappear.. Probably the most common example of this is the sound of the letter "e"- notice that that there is no
accent - when found in the middle or the end of certain words. This sound of this letter is reduced to a barely
perceptible shwa sound. So the above sentence would sound more like:

J'vous ai ach'té quelqu' chos' à la pâtiss'rie

The final e in pâtisserie is never pronounced.

I should mention that in French songs the final -e after a consonant is often pronounced distinctlly and
considered
a separate syllable, especially at the end of lines.

Edit: Corrected "The final ie in pâtisserie is never pronounced." to "The final e in pâtisserie is never pronounced."

Edited by s_allard on 15 January 2014 at 12:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5200 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 4 of 8
14 January 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I should mention that in French songs the final -e after a consonant
is often pronounced distinctlly and considered a separate syllable, especially at the
end of lines.

This is also the case with poetry and there's a whole system of rules for when the "e
muet" is pronounced and when it isn't (though I don't know them off the top of my
head).

There are a couple of resources to learn the system of common contractions. Try the
informal French and French slang tutorials at
IE Languages and the Smart French
series of CDs are useful as well. They're recorded interviews with French people that
are played back slowly with certain contractions noted. They also come with transcripts
that show dropped letters in red.
4 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4487 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 5 of 8
14 January 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The final ie in pâtisserie is never pronounced.

Errr, what? I suppose you must have meant something else.

@OP: without a recording, it's difficult to say, but it seems very unlikely the /t/ wouldn't be pronounced, at worst only as a stop.

Also an additional note on French t: it's not only a devoiced English d, the place of articulation is actually different (and that's part of the distinctive French accent in English, and possibly conversely): the French n/t/d/s/z is dental, while in English it's alveolar => not making this distinction, imho, makes it much more difficult to pronounce aspiration in English, and to pronounce a French t devoiced.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 8
14 January 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of devoicing, I explained to my French teacher the other day she had to watch
out for me devoicing consonants word-finally - it's a typical Dutch habit but French does
not do it.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5239 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 7 of 8
15 January 2014 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
I had forgotten that the classic example of the e muet is the ne of ne...pas, As most learners should now, informal
spoken French drops the ne completely. So, Je ne sais pas becomes Je sais pas. In fact, as the speech gets faster, the
sounds tend to blend and the articulatory points will converge. So the voiced Je meeting the unvoiced sais will lead
to something that one sees written like "Ch'ais pas."

For those who may be interested, Québécois French has a whole series of contractions and deletions. For example, l
is often deleted. The example from the OP would

J' vous ai ach'té qué'qu' chos' à a pâtiss'rie.

It would be better to do a proper IPA transcription, but I don't have the time.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5239 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 8 of 8
15 January 2014 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
As we well know, the cause of the deletions and contractions as spoken language increases in speed is the
physiological constraints placed on the articulatory apparatus. The reason I bring this up is that it is one thing to
look at how sounds are articulated in isolation and another thing to see these sounds in relation to their neighbours.
For example, the t that was well described by other posters in the context of a phrase like J'ai acheté du lait. But in
J'achète du lait, the t and the d converge to a sound that is sort of inbetween. To my ears the t will actually
disappear in very fast French.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version