Groupie
Norway
Joined 4387 days ago

75 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Mandarin

Message 9 of 11
15 January 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
First of all, I think it's important to not feel guilty if you choose to do more of one activity and less of another. No matter what you do in a foreign language, it helps you develop and/or maintain your skills.

That said, it sounds difficult to me to develop listening skills through silent reading, simply because people speak in such different ways that it takes practice and exposure to get your ears accustomed to the variations. Some people speak fast, some people appear to mumble a lot (then appear to mumble less as your listening skills get better :))... and some people are a learner's dream and speak more clearly than others.

Also, you said that you enjoy reading more than listening. These are so different skills that it's normal to prefer one over the other. When you read, you can take the time you need to take in the meaning, and possibly also look up unfamiliar words that confuse you. Listening skills are much more "immediate". You have to take in a lot of info in one moment - not only the words and meaning, but also the tone of voice and possibly also pronunciations that aren't what you imagined in your mind while reading silently.

If you're bored with listening because you've been doing it so much, it seems important to find something to listen to which won't be a chore. There can be a big difference between thinking that "I'm gonna listen to this in German for 40 minutes" and "I'm looking forward to listening to this, and it just happens be be in German, yay!"

If you like reading, maybe you'd like things like radio dramas? Just a suggestion, of course. Other than that, think of what you're interested in, and try to find things to listen to that connects to that?
4 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6738 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 10 of 11
15 January 2014 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
albysky wrote:
i am happy with my listening skills, i can follow radio podcasts and documentaries with [little] trouble, now if i should focus mainly on reading for the next months, listening only every once in a while, what should i expect from my listening comprehension after this period ?

It seems unlikely that one would lose listening skills after only a few months, but it's still better to continue listening with some regularity. Ten minutes a day is definitely better than nothing, and once a week but for a bit longer than 10 minutes is not bad either.

One way for an avid reader to motivate him or herself to listen more is to listen to audio-books. The librivox.org site has plenty of free audio-books based on public domain works, and modern audio-books are available for sale elsewhere.

Edited by frenkeld on 15 January 2014 at 6:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 11 of 11
17 January 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Personally I'd prefer a half-half approach or at least some of the learning content to be audio. I don't normally go
by Pimsleur, Assimil, Instant Immersion, etc. but try to build up a regular routine that is more real-life like certain
days of the week I'd read a Chinese newspaper, listen to Chinese news broadcast and certain days I'd listen to
English news.

Reading is good that you pick up new words & phrases. On the other hand, you can do a similar job watching a
foreign TV program with subtitles. Back in the 1980s I came across a few magazine articles on the Japanese
teaching & learning foreign languages. A lot of English teachers claimed they know English to the point they can
translate back and forth between Japanese & English but have trouble communicating at the street level. The
bottom line of language learning is not being able to write and translate but to be able to interact with others.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version