Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 9 of 26
14 February 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
"сначала я был боящийся, я был напуганный... но я буду выживать!"
был боящийся is impossible in Russian. Active participles are very rarely used with быть.
So, я боялся. Passive partciples are used in the short forms when they are predicates. я
был напуган. Я переживу is better, I think.
3 persons have voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4949 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 10 of 26
16 February 2014 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tips Марк!
1 person has voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4949 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 

Message 11 of 26
17 March 2014 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
March in a nutshell:
It was a slower, less fruitful month than January and February, for a few reasons. First, things ground to a halt when I felt overfaced with Russian grammar after an intense series of lessons on cases. This led to a mini-crisis of self-belief and motivation. I was also busier this month and often stressed about the amount of Russian learning tasks I had set myself. However, although I did spend fewer hours studying this month, I did complete 90% of my goals and am still pleased with my progress.

Achievement list (from most to least useful):
- 10 lessons completed on LearnRussian.RT.com
- 9 chapters of Ilya Frank read on Lingocracy
- 1 long text read on Lingocracy
- 4 x 90 minute classes attended
- 1 short class presentation delivered
- 400 new words studied on Memrise
- 6 chapters of Penguin Russian Course
- 2 Taste of Russian podcasts
- 25 lessons of Assimil
- 4 units of Zhyli-Byli coursebook + exercises
- 1st post on Lang-8
- 4 levels of A1-A2 phrases planted on Memrise
- 15 lessons on RussianPod101
- bits & bobs

Material covered:
Past tense, some reflexive/passive verbs, verbs of motion, full table of cases for adjectives & nouns, prepositions and their cases, focus on prepositional & instrumental cases, food vocab.

Biggest hurdles so far:
- Listening to audio which is a little too fast to mentally process / too many unknown words.
- Verbs of motion: I've yet to remember the difference between all the different modes of transport and directions, and that's before aspect comes into play. Irregularity doesn't help me conjugate them either.

Biggest triumphs so far:
- This month I've found reading on Lingocracy to be both fun and beneficial - now that I've found the right kind of texts (those of Ilya Frank and RussianLessons.net).
- Reciting a 3-minute presentation in class pretty much wowed the other students and my teacher.

Next month:
- I need to find films and videos to watch in Russian. At the very least, watch the films I have, plus music videos and podcasts. Watch the news online? Or browse Rutube?
- Write more short texts and post them on Lang-8. Build texts around specific grammar constructs.
- Probably more focus on verbs - reflexive verbs, motion verbs and irregular verbs. Nail them.
- It might be time to review my notes of the past 2 months and perhaps build an Anki deck.
- Start Princeton SLA101 if time allows.
- Streamline my learning by dropping 1 or 2 boring resources.

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4949 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 

Message 12 of 26
24 April 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
April in a nutshell:
I am now on a 2-week break from classes and am not studying, but I will look at some Russian next week. But this post is about the past month. As in March, it was another slower, less productive month for Russian as I did not have so much time or motivation. Hours and number of lessons are down, but it still makes for a nice big list after 4 weeks. I believe I did make some big leaps forward in writing and listening, so hooray!

2 islands written, posted to Lang-8
6 podcasts from Taste of Russian
2 800-word texts read on Lingocracy
9 paragraphs of Ilya Frank on Lingocracy
5 lessons on LearnRussian.RT.com
4 x 90 minute classes attended
2 songs transcribed + a handful of passive videos
15 lessons from Princeton SLA101
3 films watched
2 units of Zhili Byli + exercises
10 lessons of Assimil
200 words on Memrise
Gathered 1200 words, preparing to Ankify
25 podcasts from RussianPod101
2 pages on RussianLessons.net
1 page on MasterRussian.com
2 episodes of Hugo
2 chapters FSI Russian FAST

Material covered:
Past & future tenses. First "official" look at aspect. Using all 6 cases as needed (in writing). Conditional mood. Health vocab. House vocab. Listening skills.

Biggest hurdles so far:
- Verbs of motion still not sorted out (not really worked on since March). Need another lesson then a load of exercises.
- Aspect starting to become a challenge. This is good. I am excited to start conquering this challenge.

Biggest triumphs so far:
- A Taste of Russian podcast is a revelation, it's improving my listening skills no end.
- I'm enjoying writing 100-word texts and posting to Lang-8 when I feel the grammar is about right. Long may this continue.
- Lingocracy is still a great way for me to read simpler texts and grow my vocabulary.
- Princeton SLA101 is a more-than-decent course, once you get past the tutor's personality.
- I downloaded all my Memrise mems as PNGs to play with.

Next month:
- Restart classes.
- Watch more Russian TV shows. The last one I watched was Вечерний Ургант and I didn't understand all that much.
- Build that Anki deck.
- Press on with the good stuff: LR.RT.com and Penguin course.

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4949 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 

Message 13 of 26
17 May 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
May in a nutshell:
Missed the first week but now I'm coming back strong. Back into the weekly Russian class with a new intermediate student to raise the level slightly. I've been reading heavily in Russian and hopefully absorbing a lot of vocabulary and sentence structures. It's draining, but getting easier every day. I've been writing short texts with enthusiasm. And trying to pick up the pace with intensive grammar again. Good things are happening in that part of the brain. Listening and speaking need to catch up.

2 movie reviews written
3 posts on Lang-8
2 chapters of Тамань read
4 chapters of Маленькый Принц read
5 paragraphs of Ilya Frank on Lingocracy
3x 90-minute classes attended
5 lessons on LearnRussian.RT.com
10 lessons of Assimil
3 films watched
2 chapters Zhili-Byli exercises
1 chapter Zhili-Byli textbook
2 chapters Hugo
200 words studied on Memrise
Reviewed first part of Penguin Russian Course
Began building Anki deck
Pop music listening / a few music videos
1 chapter FSI (really boring)

Material covered:
Verbs of motion; verbal aspect; more Genitive (s+pl) practice; personal & possessive pronouns; stress; numbers; counting; prices; shop talk.

Biggest hurdles so far:
Getting my head around the verbs of motion unidirectional / omnidirectional duality and understanding how they tie in with imperfective / perfective is a major challenge. идти / ходить / пойти are like a ménage-à-trois, but that's easy compared to when driving / running / flying / swimming / leading / carrying come into the picture.

Biggest triumphs so far:
Writing some short texts and working them into a grammatically 80%-correct form is something I'm really enjoying and learning a lot from right now.

Next month:
- I should hit up the podcasts hard again
- Aim to record myself reading a text
- Write more diverse short texts
- Once I find the technical shortcut to building my Anki deck from Excel, my 1200 word vocabulary can resume being consolidated. If I add all my notebook words, 1700 will be within reach.
- I will resolve to try Russian TV broadcasts again, via Youtube.
- Don't let Princeton SLA101 and Penguin Russian Course fall by the wayside!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 14 of 26
10 June 2014 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
It's amazing how consistent you are using all these resources, and great progress, too!
Usually I get muddled when I have to do so many, but I definitely see that it's much
easier to follow through when it's your own personal study plan, tastes, and knowledge of
where you are in the process. I love the idea of these spreadsheets. I know people have
been using them since forever, but your log is the first place I saw a plan outlined in
them.

Keep up the good work :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 15 of 26
10 June 2014 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Спасибо за ссылку на russiangram.com, и удачи с твоей стратегией "Максимального Разнообразия"! Таблицы выглядят впечатляюще. :)

(Thanks for the link to russiangram.com, and good luck with your "Maximum Diversity" strategy! The tables look impressive.)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 26
10 June 2014 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Да, я увидвлен) я даже не знаю, как у тебя получается учиться так много)

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version