Language Learning Forum : Music, Movies, TV & Radio Post Reply
DougSemplice
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3782 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 5
15 January 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
My Italian journey has gone very well over the last 18 months, but I have a two-legged
stool. I am a solid intermediate reader, but listener, especially natives speaking to
other natives, is not on par with the others.

I have decided to devote a lot of time to watching subtitled movies, even cartoons but I
do not seem to find them. Netflix has very few movies (or I do not know where to look).

Is there a good source out there? They do not have to be free.

Thanks all.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 5
15 January 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
There is a lot of good sources!

You can get the dvds. For example deastore is an Italian eshop with books (in several languages) and as well some Italian dvds and free delivery (I think worldwide). Amazon.it does have a really wide offer of dvds and quite fair delivery fees.

If you want a way to buy movies in Italian online, I'm afraid you're out of luck. I know you americans are used to the comfort of netflix and a few more countries have such services, but I'm afraid Italy is in the larger group, which means us with badluck. However, I may be wrong. Last time I went through such sources, I didn't find anything though.

If you join the camp of those who would like to buy online streaming and cannot find any service suiting their needs, than google is your friend (or duckduckgo does have even better searching results at times and it doesn't store your data for advertising and messing with your future searches based on the old ones).

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5287 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 5
16 January 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
I buy all my dubbed Italian movies from here: http://www.dvd.it/

They're are coded in a different regional format, which you can wiki this subject. You'll either need a region free DVD player or a newer (typically) Blu-Ray model that hooks to the internet in order to play them.

I had a region free model, but now I use the Sony Blu-Ray player I got from Best Buy and once I connected to the Internet and let it perform the updates it plays any DVD from any region. Somewhere around $100 bucks.
2 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4187 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 4 of 5
16 January 2014 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
have look at the rai website , they have lots of content , i am not sure whether they provide subtitle though

Light
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

30 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 5 of 5
17 January 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
/r/fullforeignmovies

Most/all of these movies are uploaded on YouTube or other streaming video sites.

I'm not sure if it's allowed here to explain how to download videos from YT.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version